Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2009 Draft prospects as of the Bye

Veretax

I know, some are going to slap me for looking at this, but I am really looking forward to the draft this year. I'm hopeful that our 3 2nd Rounders will turn out to be okay next year, (yes even Kelly), but wheN i look at the team there are in my mind three positions, possibly four at which I could see us looking for a quality player.

In no particular Order:

1. Running Back - Portis is Great, and Bett's is good, but unless Alexander really comes on I'm not sure keeping him is worth it. I think it may be time to invest a pick in a running back, a rookie that can begin to be groomed as a possible replacement down the road. Portis will always be our work horse back until we say otherwise, but it seems clear that a bit more depth at RB may be needed.
  2. Offensive Tackle - Jon Jansen has looked to be on the decline after a couple of really good games. Heyer could be a replacement at some point, but even Samuels is starting to show is age. The problem here is I don't believe we will have a good shot at a top notch OT in 2009, which means maybe drafting someone for depth.
  3. Offensive Center - Rabach has played well for a long time, but he has made far far too many mental errors of late and I think it may be time to get a guy in here to start to learn the game from Rabach, and eventually replace him.
  4. Defensive Line - A lot of us felt that a Stud DT or DE will be needed. Its uncertain who we will keep from this years DL, even given that we may have some folks back from injury. The lack of a pass rush at times, clearly has been a liability for this team this yaer. The problem here is whether any DT or DE in the draft will fit the bill.
  5. Corner Back - Initially I'd have thought corner was an important spot to fill. Carlos has looked solid, but Springs is on the decline, smoot is a good nickel, but can't man up regularly. We haven't seen enough of Hall to say whether he's a keeper yet, but if he is, it may surprise some folks that we pass on a cornerin 09

Okay, for any of the rest of us who are Draft Junkies. Does anyone disagree with me on this? I realize we don't have a full slate of picks for next year, and there are still a lot of question marks particularly on D, but it looks like this may be where we look come draft day.

I agree. I think the first and foremost important position is DT!!!!!! We can't get any inside pressure anymore. After that RT!!! I don't think Heyer is the solution either. I really wish we still had Crummey, maybe the Bengals will release him because he could play center. I say the draft goes something like this...

1. DT!!! Can we get some inside pressure...please!!!?!??!?

3. RT!!! Jansen done, Heyer not the long term solution

4. LB. Washington is all but done. Fletcher won't be around forever. We need to build here. Blades will be great. Rocky is fantastic. But we need a young guy to step up in the next couple of years.

5. C/G. Hopefully we can find one that plays both. Crummey looked to be a good prospect. Geisinger also may have some promise. It will be up to the coaches to decide, but center maybe a bigger need.

6. DT. We found Gholston and Montgomery and later rounds. Maybe we find another stud.

I agree about bringing in a RB. We need to find one that can return kicks.

I would be more surprised if Hall didn't work out, I just can't see us drafting a CB in the first 3 rounds with hall on the roster

I agree, I'm hopefull he works out, at the beginning of the year Corner was much higher on my list than it is now. LB could be a spot we need to fill too with fletch and marcus both getting long in the tooth.

I would be more surprised if Hall didn't work out, I just can't see us drafting a CB in the first 3 rounds with hall on the roster

Agreed. Hall will be here for a while folks. (At least I hope so)

I don't see us addressing the secondary until late in the draft if at all - seems like we locked that up for a long, long time with the addition of Hall and Horton. Though on second thought, we may need some corner depth if Springs isn't here.

We need to address the D-line and an aging O-line. Although I do want to see what the buzz was all about in regards to Rhinehart. Can't have enough youth on our O-line. :2cents:

We need to address the D-line and an aging O-line. Although I do want to see what the buzz was all about in regards to Rhinehart. Can't have enough youth on our O-line. :2cents:

I think with guys like Rinehart, Heyer, and Geisinger on the roster, we are primed to make a smooth transition on the offensive line.

The first move IMO is to solidify that RT. Heyer IMO is not the long term answer. If we can get a young guy in, that would be great.

Pete Kendall would be the next to go. Rinehart should be able to step in quite nicely after a year of riding the pine.

Rabach would have be next. He is just too small and getting too old to rely on his athletic ability to get by. I hope we can get Crummey back from the Bengals because he seemed like a good player that can play both G/C.

Thomas has been excellent. Drafting someone to replace him in a year or two would be smart.

We need to ride Samuels as long as we can. But after multiple injuries, he is getting old. I don't seem him starting after two more years, tops. I say we go first round pick when we decide to replace him.

If only there was a way to draft Texas Tech`s entire offensive line.......

:point2sky

Campbell would have the time he needs to find an OPEN wide receiver..

:D

In one of the 5 or 6 WR sets that Tech frequently uses.

Something tells me that wouldn't work in the NFC East. :laugh:

I know, some are going to slap me for looking at this, but I am really looking forward to the draft this year. I'm hopeful that our 3 2nd Rounders will turn out to be okay next year, (yes even Kelly), but wheN i look at the team there are in my mind three positions, possibly four at which I could see us looking for a quality player.

In no particular Order:

1. Running Back - Portis is Great, and Bett's is good, but unless Alexander really comes on I'm not sure keeping him is worth it. I think it may be time to invest a pick in a running back, a rookie that can begin to be groomed as a possible replacement down the road. Portis will always be our work horse back until we say otherwise, but it seems clear that a bit more depth at RB may be needed.
  2. Offensive Tackle - Jon Jansen has looked to be on the decline after a couple of really good games. Heyer could be a replacement at some point, but even Samuels is starting to show is age. The problem here is I don't believe we will have a good shot at a top notch OT in 2009, which means maybe drafting someone for depth.
  3. Offensive Center - Rabach has played well for a long time, but he has made far far too many mental errors of late and I think it may be time to get a guy in here to start to learn the game from Rabach, and eventually replace him.
  4. Defensive Line - A lot of us felt that a Stud DT or DE will be needed. Its uncertain who we will keep from this years DL, even given that we may have some folks back from injury. The lack of a pass rush at times, clearly has been a liability for this team this yaer. The problem here is whether any DT or DE in the draft will fit the bill.
  5. Corner Back - Initially I'd have thought corner was an important spot to fill. Carlos has looked solid, but Springs is on the decline, smoot is a good nickel, but can't man up regularly. We haven't seen enough of Hall to say whether he's a keeper yet, but if he is, it may surprise some folks that we pass on a cornerin 09

Okay, for any of the rest of us who are Draft Junkies. Does anyone disagree with me on this? I realize we don't have a full slate of picks for next year, and there are still a lot of question marks particularly on D, but it looks like this may be where we look come draft day.

I don't think we need to draft a RB this coming draft, i think CP still has a few more good years left in him.

I think with a healthy Jason Taylor our pass rush will be solid, our defense has played great so far and we have alot of young talent on the line.

We may need to look at someone who is eventually going to replace London, he is not getting any younger.

There have been alot of very good OL coming out of the 1st and 2nd rounds these past couple drafts who have started immediately and made an impact.

I know we have alot of WRs right now, but I would love some Boldin (best WR in the game)

If we used every single pick on OL & DL, I'd be totally fine with that.

We probably could pick up a solid Tackle in the 2nd half of the 1st round, then a OG or OC in the 3rd. I would weigh OL as a higher priority than DL, not because we don't have need at DL, but because we are younger at DL.

Antoine Caldwell OC and Terrence Cody DT both from alabama both studs, hopefully we can take a serious look at at least one of them, if they are still around that is.

According to ProFootballWeekly's draft prospects, Peria Jerry and Terrance Taylor are the top DT's coming out. Anyone know these guys or have seen them play?

If we used every single pick on OL & DL, I'd be totally fine with that.

We probably could pick up a solid Tackle in the 2nd half of the 1st round, then a OG or OC in the 3rd. I would weigh OL as a higher priority than DL, not because we don't have need at DL, but because we are younger at DL.

DISAGREE!! We have ZERO inside pressure on the DL. At least on the OL, we have guys like Rinehart, Heyer, and Geisinger. I think the first priority is DT using a first round pick. We need a dominant guy in the middle.

We don't have second, so I think we definitely go OL in the mid rounds.

DISAGREE!! We have ZERO inside pressure on the DL. At least on the OL, we have guys like Rinehart, Heyer, and Geisinger. I think the first priority is DT using a first round pick. We need a dominant guy in the middle.

We don't have third, so I think we definitely go OL in the mid rounds.

We have a 3rd but no 2nd

I'd like to see the '09 draft for the Skins focusing primarily on O and D lines. Adding a guy like James Davis (Clemson RB), and some depth for LB would be good too.

by the time we get around to picking up a RB, davis wont be there. he was a solid first day pick going into the season, but with the disaster that is clemson's oline this year, he will fall, but not far enough. and dont get me wrong, i love clemson and davis, but im not sure i would want him here.

a late round RB to look at could be donald brown of uconn. he is a senior and from all the draft charts and projections ive seen, hes not on anyones radar period. for the majority of the year, the total rushing yards and rushing TDs battle has been between him and javon ringer of michigan state. brown is a work horse back, ive watched a few of his games when uconn played on thursday or friday on espn. he has pretty good vision and ball control. he is uconns offense. they had a decent pass attack for the first half of the season, but still relied on brown. but then their QB went down with a broken leg i think. and it became the total donald brown show. even with the box stacked with 8 or 9 men, he still put up 150+ and 2 TDs on a regular basis.

by the time we get around to picking up a RB, davis wont be there. he was a solid first day pick going into the season, but with the disaster that is clemson's oline this year, he will fall, but not far enough. and dont get me wrong, i love clemson and davis, but im not sure i would want him here.

a late round RB to look at could be donald brown of uconn. he is a senior and from all the draft charts and projections ive seen, hes not on anyones radar period. for the majority of the year, the total rushing yards and rushing TDs battle has been between him and javon ringer of michigan state. brown is a work horse back, ive watched a few of his games when uconn played on thursday or friday on espn. he has pretty good vision and ball control. he is uconns offense. they had a decent pass attack for the first half of the season, but still relied on brown. but then their QB went down with a broken leg i think. and it became the total donald brown show. even with the box stacked with 8 or 9 men, he still put up 150+ and 2 TDs on a regular basis.

Great read, but will he be able to return kicks? I dont see Betts going anywhere this offseason. If we want to upgrade our 3rd RB he needs to be able to return kicks as well or there is no point to get rid of Rock.

We need a LB. I think the fourth round would be a good place to look.

Id rather use our first on a LB. Im also assuming we should go after Haynesworth in the FA. Id rather have a proven pressure maker at DT then trying to hit on one in the draft.

Taylor, Carter, Haynesworth, Griff/Monty/Kedric......pure NASTY!!!

Archived