Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Horton...dare I say it?

dwbiggs

I give all the props in the world to Landry for being a good team guy and playing out of position at FS, but we all know where his strenghth is, and that is playing closer to the LOS as a SS.

Uhhh... what? Landry played much better last season after he was moved to FS and, despite the fact that he doesn't wrack up stats like Sean did, he's been pretty damn good at that spot. His natural ability just translates better to the free safety position in the NFL.

Certainly not the raw athletic ability of Taylor or Landry. But seems to have a great awareness of where to be, and is already acclimated to the NFL. I really cannot remember a more impressive defensive rookie season from somebody coming out of nowhere.

not really. He's botched a lot of plays. Just go back to previous games like the Cowboys, He had mistakes in two of the TDs.

He came in a made some plays. Listen to Greg Blache. He's not as good as the media wants him to be.

For a 7th rounder, he is playing awesome and a great steal.

But, better than ST? NO WAY.

compare their rookie highlight tapes.

Uhhh... what? Landry played much better last season after he was moved to FS and, despite the fact that he doesn't wrack up stats like Sean did, he's been pretty damn good at that spot. His natural ability just translates better to the free safety position in the NFL.

Not sure about that. I think ST had much better range at FS and Laron could be a much better SS than FS...

Everytime someone says anything suggesting Sean Taylor wasn't the best at something everyone jumps on it. Personally, I think Michael Jordan's first four years in the NBA were more impressive than Taylor's four years in the NFL. But wait, that cannot be!

Well, that's got nothing to do with the thread.:doh:

Well, that's got nothing to do with the thread.:doh:

I know I know. My point is the OP wasn't saying "Horton is better than Taylor." He was just making the argument that he has been playing better in his rookie season than Sean had. I don't know if this is true but it is being construed by people in this thread and misquoted. That's my point.

Horton has played better than Landry.... for Landry's entire career. Horton has had an impact in every single game.... and is as good as they come. Landry has made a difference in only a handful of games... and with the exception of some big hits -- even though the receiver held onto the ball OR a late hit that resulted in a penalty -- Landry hasn't lived up to his hype at all.

Landry, to date, has been a very average player. He's out of position a lot.

Horton has played better than Landry.... for Landry's entire career. Horton has had an impact in every single game.... and is as good as they come. Landry has made a difference in only a handful of games... and with the exception of some big hits -- even though the receiver held onto the ball OR a late hit that resulted in a penalty -- Landry hasn't lived up to his hype at all.

Landry, to date, has been a very average player. He's out of position a lot.

Landry isnt out of position...hes the deep safety he is doing whats asked of him and doing a great job...i would love it if he had more INts and things but hes doing a great job not getting burned.

remember St and Horton are plying different positions and although Horton is having a great great start I still think ST was ahead of him in what each one of them were being asked to do.

Landry is having a quiet yearyes but not hearing his name means he is doing his job, he isnt gonna make the plays ST made we just have to accept that and move on

Horton may not have the physical abilities but he certainly is playing better than both Landry and ST did in their rookie years respectively. Horton is a baller and he has the football smarts and he studies. Horton probably puts in more work than ST and Landry did in their rookie years and it pays off in the games.

Landry isnt out of position...hes the deep safety he is doing whats asked of him and doing a great job...i would love it if he had more INts and things but hes doing a great job not getting burned.

Landry is having a quiet yearyes but not hearing his name means he is doing his job, he isnt gonna make the plays ST made we just have to accept that and move on

ok, not picking on you, but I've been holding my tongue for 9 games regarding LL. I am just not impressed with him this year and last night really proved it for me. I've been patient, but last night he was burned on a few deep balls. Everyone who has been defendign him keeps saying, well, no one will throw it deep cause of LL. Well, look at last night. C los is good, but had no friggin help. So where was LL last night? Where is this beast who is covering deep? I sure as hell didn't see him.

Horton- love the kid. He is playing well so far. Had some nice stops, ncie tackles for losses, then our whole Defense got burned so none of it mattered.

I mean thats actually a good sign that Laron Landry doesnt have more tackles than our LB lol he's our free safety and our last line of defense! If he leads the team in tackles that is a very bad thing come on some people dont use common sense or just dont know much football and just look at stats

- He's not preventing the deep ball.

- Landry isn't getting interceptions -- and when he's in position he drops them.

- He's not very decisive in the defensive backfield and reads plays very slowly. He picks the wrong receiver most of the time.

- He's not tackling very well when he's in the area to make a play.

Saying he's 30 yards back and teams aren't throwing his way is just utter stupidity.

Teams are throwing at Carlos Rogers... and they're throwing at Smoot. Without regard. Didn't you hear that Rogers has had close to 80 balls thrown his way in 8 games?

So because he's a great athlete, that automatically makes him a better FS than SS? Where was his strength at LSU? Playing in the box. He did a admirable job in filling in for ST, but let's not kid ourselves...he is at his best playing closer to the LOS as a SS. I love that he's putting the team before himself, but he's playing out of position. What are we arguing anyways? I gave him props for his play while filling in at the FS spot....I will say this...we need more from him as far as making plays (INT's, etc) if we want to remain competitive in the last 1/2 of the season. He needs to step it up.

Better than both ST and LL in their rookie years. He may not be as fast or hit as hard but he more than makes up for it with instinct and smarts. He really stood out last night as one of very few positives in the game. :point2sky

def better the LL, I thought everyone said we don't get thrown deep on becasue he's back there...:doh:

atleast Horton has and INT in his career...

Ok but we aren't talking physical talent. We know he's not as physically talented as ST or LL but he has great fundamentals and does not have the "I'm a rookie so I'm gonna get alot of personal fouls" syndrome that LL and yes ST certainly had.

I'm not sure i'll call him better than either of them but he has been lights out and the argument can be made. Remember the OP said rookie year.

I remember he said "Seans Rookie Year", as opposed to you being able to remember the 2004 season as a 13 year old. My point wasn't that Sean was (obviously) a more physically gifted player, he used it with great timing skills, and a nose for the ball. Talk to me when you see Horton make a play on Randy Moss the way ST did. That isn't even the best ST highlight from '04. I have videos saved to my computer of him from 2004 that they can't put on Youtube. He was insane.

Better than both ST and LL in their rookie years. He may not be as fast or hit as hard but he more than makes up for it with instinct and smarts. He really stood out last night as one of very few positives in the game. :point2sky
Once he learns to get past rookie mistakes like overpursuing the play, he will be money.

I remember he said "Seans Rookie Year", as opposed to you being able to remember the 2004 season as a 13 year old. My point wasn't that Sean was (obviously) a more physically gifted player, he used it with great timing skills, and a nose for the ball. Talk to me when you see Horton make a play on Randy Moss the way ST did. That isn't even the best ST highlight from '04. I have videos saved to my computer of him from 2004 that they can't put on Youtube. He was insane.

Exactly. His rookie year was arguably his best year, regardless of what the numbers say.

def better the LL, I thought everyone said we don't get thrown deep on becasue he's back there...:doh:

atleast Horton has and INT in his career...

Landry is a complete non-factor in this defense. You don't need an all-world safety (and top 10 draft pick) to play 30-yards back to prevent the deep ball. You can put an average player back there.... and he'll make about the same amount of plays as Landry has.... which isn't hard to do.

Right now. I would give him D ROY honors. Can anyone else name a rookie defensive player that's playing better?

It's going to come down to Horton and Jerod Mayo......Right now Horton is making a bigger impact.

7 games to go .....Hope he keeps it up.

Archived