Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBA Trade: Allen Iverson to Detroit

StillUnknown

I said reach!! :silly:

if it was for dunking we could put VC in there..

clyde the glide was such a great dude and player..thats why he makes my list. just a good stand up guy and could dunk like a mug!!

wade should get back to the playoffs this year with the talent around him..

Iceman was one of my favorite old school players. i got alot of tapes of his games from his prime years

AI is a great talent, but I like this trade a lot for Denver. Billups is exactly what they need. A smart vet with championship experience. Billups kept Sheed in control in Detroit, I think he'll steer the Nuggets in the right direction, though I don't think they're a championship contender or anything.

I don't really get this trade for Detroit. Iverson is a better scorer but Billups is a much better passer, defender, and team leader. The Pistons are more explosive offensive but I wouldn't give up defense and leadership for a few more points in regular season games that aren't all that meaningful.

Pound for pound, Iverson is the toughest player of this generation. You can hate on him all you want - but come game time - there are few who are better at what he does.

practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your talking about practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - Billups is a career 15 and 6 guy. Iverson is a career 28 and 6 guy. That will suprise a lot who think Iverson doesn't pass the ball.

Looking at entire career #s is a bit flawed here. Billups was a late bloomer. In Detroit he averaged around 16-18 PPG and 7-8 APG.

I just read that with AI and Sheed the Pistons now have something like $35 Mil in expiring contracts. Wow...I guess someone else wants in the Lebron sweepstakes...

BTW - Billups is a career 15 and 6 guy. Iverson is a career 28 and 6 guy. That will suprise a lot who think Iverson doesn't pass the ball.

iverson shoots the ball 40 times a game though...compare that with billups. you have too much talent in detroit to allow one player to shoot the ball the whole game.

I actually think the deal is a good one for the Pistons.

Billups has had some nagging leg injuries the last few years and wore down as evidenced by not-so-solid performances in the Eastern Conference Finals against the Heat in 06 and the Cavs in 07.

As solid as the Pistons have been, they've lacked a true difference-maker on the offensive end. Guys like Rip, Prince and Rasheed are good but they feed off of others to get their points. Iverson is a guy who can create for himself.

The Pistons have been bounced from the Eastern Conference Finals the last few years, and were probably due for a change or two. Dumars preached change during the offseason but up until today, no moves were made.

Chemistry-wise, it may take some time for the Pistons to adjust but by the end of the year, I expect this trade to work out well for Detroit.

Iceman was one of my favorite old school players. i got alot of tapes of his games from his prime years

George "The Iceman" Gervin was a 6'8" point guard, not a shooting guard.

Finger roll. ;)

I rellya dont follwo the NBA anymore, and really havent for years, but no way I put Iverson top 5 as a SO.

And I have no idea on what Detroit was thinking, they got mugged in this trade.

no mutumbo?

not even a little dikembe?

Mutumbo wasn't acquired until after the All Star break when Theo Ratliff got hurt, and they were already had the best record in the league. I can't say absolutely that they wouldn't have made it w/ Motumbo, but they were a very good team w/o him.

Iverson had over 31 pts./game in that year. The next guy was Aaron McKie with 11.6.

As AI's contract is up after this year I really see this as more of a next offseason move for the Pistons then anything else. AI is still AI but I don't see him and him alone taking them out of the East.

As far as the Nuggets, Billups is a nice PG but on the downside of his career. Definitely been falling off the last couple of seasons. Still should work well with 'Melo. McDyess

was a good pick up too as Nene is bound to catch the bubonic plauge any day now and Kenyon Martin is forever a step away from tearing or rupturing some obscure muscle.

As far as the AI hate goes: laughable. Anyone who questions the heart of AI and what he has accomplished in the League clearly doesn't follow the NBA too closely. Not in the past decade anyway.

This is a smart move by the Pistons since Billups is clearly on the down side of his career, plus he still got a huge contract. And Pistons already got Stucky who could step in. Now they'll have the cap space for the 2009/2010 season, if they don't resign AI.

Also Pistons got a bunch of guys who doesn't need to touch the ball that much which allows AI to do what he does best, score points. So it's not like Pistons are giving up on this season.

The Pistons got better for the future and still be competitive for the now. The Bullets could learn a thing or two, like not signing a gimpy guard for the near max and a power forward who couldn't rebound or play defense.

This is a smart move by the Pistons since Billups is clearly on the down side of his career, plus he still got a huge contract. And Pistons already got Stucky who could step in. Now they'll have the cap space for the 2009/2010 season, if they don't resign AI.

Also Pistons got a bunch of guys who doesn't need to touch the ball that much which allows AI to do what he does best, score points. So it's not like Pistons are giving up on this season.

The Pistons got better for the future and still be competitive for the now. The Bullets could learn a thing or two, like not signing a gimpy guard for the near max and a power forward who couldn't rebound or play defense.

Yeah cause it's not like Jamison averages 10 RPG or anything.

And I can't wait till Arenas gets back and ****s all over you. One month to go.

what has iverson ever done?

those awards and all star votes are popular votes. he has NO rings, he has been kicked off of 2 teams now and we wont even go in to the whole "practice" thing.

yeah, he is a scrub. he had talent but he is washed up.

KICKED OFF or traded.

No one plays harder than him. He is #3 all time is PPG average. He got Philly to the NBA Finals on his back. He is a 1st ballot HOFer.

karl malone and stockton were never driven from a team. and all 3 of those players are 20000000x's better players then iverson.

he got handled by tyrone liu...how does that happen?

Mike you basketball credibilty is going out the window. AI crossed Lue up, hit a jumper, then stepped over him.

Stockton is no where near 2000000x better than AI.

the iceman- Great, GREAT offensive player, but one of the worst defensive guards of his generation

clyde the glide- solid on both ends, not nearly as prolific as Iverson as a scorer

dumars- great defensively, 16ppg for his career, 4.5 assists both put him significantly behind AI

d wade- very early on this one, but he could wind up being better

mcgrady (reach)- no way in hell, nowhere near as durable or as much of a leader

earl monroe- 19ppg, 3.9 assists per game, once called "The ultimate playground player," by Bill Bradley, which translates as "thug" these days.

the iceman- Great, GREAT offensive player, but one of the worst defensive guards of his generation

clyde the glide- solid on both ends, not nearly as prolific as Iverson as a scorer, but nearly equal on assists. Probably the best player you named.

dumars- great defensively, 16ppg for his career, 4.5 assists both put him significantly behind AI

d wade- very early on this one, but he could wind up being better

mcgrady (reach)- no way in hell, nowhere near as durable or as much of a leader. Despite being nearly the same age as Iverson, he isn't close to him in any measurable statistic

earl monroe- 19ppg, 3.9 assists per game, once called "The ultimate playground player," by Bill Bradley, which translates as "thug" these days. Shot 46% compared to Iverson's 42%, but also averaged 10ppg fewer.

FWIW, give me Reggie Miller or Pistol Pete over all these guys except Gervin and Clyde.

Say what you will about the trade, which I think the Nuggets got the better end of b/c of their PG situation and the fact that the Carmelo/AI experiment didn't work out as originally planned.

But calling Iverson a scrub is just completely wrong. Yes, shooting 42% for your career isn't that great, but consider that his prime was spent on teams with virtually no scoring help that required him to provide scoring in huge bunches. If he wasn't taking 30 shots a game for the Sixers, who WAS?

Also, keep in mind that he was just about always the best player on the court in all-star games where he DID have help (and he won two all-star MVP's)

Mike you basketball credibilty is going out the window. AI crossed Lue up, hit a jumper, then stepped over him.

Stockton is no where near 2000000x better than AI.

It should also be noted that despite Iverson's image as a thug and Stockton's square image, John Stockton was one of the dirtiest players ever to play in the NBA.

AI is a great talent, but I like this trade a lot for Denver. Billups is exactly what they need. A smart vet with championship experience. Billups kept Sheed in control in Detroit, I think he'll steer the Nuggets in the right direction, though I don't think they're a championship contender or anything.

I don't really get this trade for Detroit. Iverson is a better scorer but Billups is a much better passer, defender, and team leader. The Pistons are more explosive offensive but I wouldn't give up defense and leadership for a few more points in regular season games that aren't all that meaningful.

it is abotu salary. Rasheed and AI are FAs after this year so their salary comes off the books if the pistons dont want to re-sign either of them. One last push to the finals.

BTW, Detroit wasnt gonna beat the Celtics with Billups.

Archived