Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBA Trade: Allen Iverson to Detroit

StillUnknown

What's going on in this thread is very common when talking basketball with people. People who used to be BIG fans, haven't paid attention in awhile, and then talk like they have.

After MJ retired, the NBA hit a rough spot where the stars got old and the young talent wasn't anything special (or lasting anyway). That's when the NFL really, REALLY blew up big time and became the reigning National Pastime. So a lot of followers of the NBA left en masse and stopped paying attention.

They still watch ESPNews though so they'll see headlines about Artest being an idiot, Kobe's rape trial, or Iverson's "practice? PRACTICE?" bit. So now the NBA is full of thugs and, to be thread specific, AI is a bum.

But I challenge anyone to find a single true follower of the game, a real follower, a hardcore follower who will say AI is a bum. Won't happen.

Pay attention to every basketball thread that comes up on here this year. You'll see what I'm talking about.

It's a shame really. I think the NBA is deeper and more talented then EVER. Yes, ever. A lot of people are missing out big time.

i wouldn't be too surprised if they did. starting Iverson & Hamilton in the backcourt leave them without a true pg on the court. they really like Stuckey in detroit and want to get him in the starting lineup.

if they can find a good deal for Rip, i'm sure they would trade him

Dude was talking this morning on ESPN that they want to start Stuckey at the point, put AI at the 2 and have Rip play the 3.

I think Rip gets raped trying to guard real 3's. And then where is Tayshaun Prince?

So yeah, thinking about it, it makes sense that they're trying to get rid of Rip.

he's too small and not physically strong enough to guard most SF's in the league. he would need constant help, which would open the floor for opposing offenses

i think he would come off the bench before they put him at the 3 for extended minutes during a game

Imagine him trying to D up Lebron? Or Caron? Or Marion? Or whoever. Yikes.

The more we talk about this the more I think Rip is gone for sure. He just doesn't fit into the equation.

Hmmm. Rip is definitely longterm while AI probably isn't. So you don't wanna piss Rip off. Maybe you say **** it, bring AI off the bench, and then let him walk after the year. That way Rip stays happy.

It's either that or he's dealt.

If not, if they do put Rip at the 3 it'll be:

1 - Stuckey

2 - AI

3 - Rip

4 - Tayshaun

5 - Sheed

Maxiel being the 6th man.

Pretty damn good starting 5. Although they leave themselves open to being absolutely overpowered. But maybe they'll go the Wizards route and try to drop 120 on people every night, while only giving up 119.

Oh and LOL, with McDyess leaving Kwame ****ing Brown is now they're 2nd center. Fail.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3680959

Source: Hamilton's new Pistons contract worth $34M

The Detroit Pistons didn't stop at making over their backcourt Monday.

In addition to acquiring Allen Iverson in a three-for-one trade with the Denver Nuggets, the Pistons agreed to a three-year extension with Richard Hamilton, a team source told ESPN.com's Chad Ford.

The new contract is worth $34 million, with the first two years guaranteed. The third year is only a partial guarantee, the source told Ford.

Earlier Monday, Detroit sent Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb to Denver in exchange for Iverson.

"We just felt it was the right time to change our team," Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars told The Associated Press. "Iverson gives us a dimension that we haven't had here and we really think it's going to help us."

Denver is going to buy out McDyess, making him a free agent.

I wouldn't mind it if they Wiz picked him up. With Brendan out we could definitely use him. Hell, I'd probably start him over Etan.

Problem is, we'd have to go into luxury tax territory to make that happen and Abe, God bless him, will never do that.

A whole giant thread about AI without talking about his glaring weakness- he is awful at team defense. A year and a half of watching him play with the nuggets made me happy this trade is happening. That's why he never wins. Offensively, he is very, very, talented, and NEVER takes a game off. However, he doesn't have the size to guard most two guards, especially in the west.

Maybe Detroit will change him, but I doubt it.

I am excited for Denver - I think it keeps them in the playoffs. I'm excited for anything that keeps J.R. Smith on the floor -- he was the MVP of the nuggets after the break last year. He should get to start now, finally.

Archived