Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sojourners: Jim Wallis: James Dobson’s ‘Letter From 2012 in Obama’s America’

AsburySkinsFan

Thankfully, atheism is a relatively small percentage of the world population.

A more pressing question would be "what drives people to agnosticism?"

That's an interesting question...because I think there are probably many more agnostics than atheists. Unfortunately the stats are usually lumped together.

What drove me to agnosticism is the simple fact that I've seen no concrete evidence that a higher power exists.

Though, unlike an athiest...I wouldn't at all be surprised if a higher power does exist.:2cents:

Exactly Brave. Agnosticism is the logical middle ground. I think that the universe and everything that has spawned from it is too impressive and too vast to have happened on its own and wouldn't be surprised at all if we are living under a supreme being.

That being said, I have a hard time believing in any specific prophet (Jesus, Muhammad, etc.) or religious doctrine.

For a so-called Christian, Dobson has so much hate in his heart.

Which has been the critique that many of us have offered up in recent years. One of the biggest problems that I have with the Religious Right is that in listening to them you begin to think that Christianity is about being against stuff instead of being for things like love, compassion, mercy, grace, and peace.

Anyone mind telling me why the bible doesn't specifically mention abortion if abortion was meant to be THE issue of Christians for so long? Did God forget to bring it up?

Meanwhile the things God did mention, greed, helping others, etc don't seem to get as much air time. Remember that next time those that "understand" the bible talk about healthcare.

Exactly Brave. Agnosticism is the logical middle ground. I think that the universe and everything that has spawned from it is too impressive and too vast to have happened on its own and wouldn't be surprised at all if we are living under a supreme being.

The thing is if the universe is to impressive and to vast to have happened on its own, how could a diety/being/whatever that is powerful and even more impressive,have not been created?

I certainly don't have the answer and come in under the agnostic flag, but that logic flaw always bothers me.

Anyone mind telling me why the bible doesn't specifically mention abortion if abortion was meant to be THE issue of Christians for so long? Did God forget to bring it up?

Meanwhile the things God did mention, greed, helping others, etc don't seem to get as much air time. Remember that next time those that "understand" the bible talk about healthcare.

Oh come on now Destino, surely you know that the two most important things that the Bible talks about are abortion and homosexuality. I mean all the times that the prophets speak about the orphan, the window and the sojourner they were really just speaking in code for abortion, capitalism and homosexuality. I have gotten so utterly tired of the Religious Right's monologue about what "family values" are that it makes me sick...sure out law abortion, out law gay marriage...now what? Once they've conquered the world they will still forget that God's second greatest commandment to his followers that is like unto the first is to Love your neighbor as yourself...and yes that means your gay neighbor and the neighbor that just had an abortion, not just the suburbanite family that parks their SUV next to you at the mega mall...err church.

:rant:

The thing is if the universe is to impressive and to vast to have happened on its own, how could a diety/being/whatever that is powerful and even more impressive,have not been created?

I certainly don't have the answer and come in under the agnostic flag, but that logic flaw always bothers me.

I think you just blew your own mind.

wakka wakka wakka

every religion has their version of the bible. it may go by different names but its all the same.

dont word cop me, just try to understand the meaning.

People are people, of course, but in may ways the philosophical approach to these things in the East is very different. If you do not want to get pulled over by word cops you could learn more about it or avoid mentioning it.

People are people, of course, but in may ways the philosophical approach to these things in the East is very different. If you do not want to get pulled over by word cops you could learn more about it or avoid mentioning it.

how about you just stop talking slick. my point was clear and it made sense. just because YOU and your buddy dont like how I worded it doesnt mean a damn thing to me. you arent anyone for me to impress.

how about you just stop talking slick. my point was clear and it made sense. just because YOU and your buddy dont like how I worded it doesnt mean a damn thing to me. you arent anyone for me to impress.

You made a point about Abrahamic religions but included Buddhism in the list.

I find it rather funny how tolernace is expected from the left, yet not practiced.

The simple truth is you can't be for what Obama is for and still proclaim to be a christian. for abortion,for gay rights. It just isn't possible.

it has nothing to do with slander, it has to do with standing up for whats right and sayin enough.

I find it rather funny how tolernace is expected from the left, yet not practiced.

The simple truth is you can't be for what Obama is for and still proclaim to be a christian. for abortion,for gay rights. It just isn't possible.

it has nothing to do with slander, it has to do with standing up for whats right and sayin enough.

Are some Christian values more important than others?

How about capital punishment? (I'm pro-cap punishment BTW)

Archived