Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Are You Voting Obama?

robotfire

dcoles, the problem is that while the Republican Party goes a little too overboard in backing the Christian set of morals and valued, the Democratic Party does everything possible to avoid a connection with ANY set of morals and values. Therefore, for those of us who believe in those two concepts the only one of the two main parties we CAN in good conscience look at is the Republican Party.

I guess that is just where we differ.

When it comes to religion i'd rather not go far enough then ever go too far.

Going too far with religion never leads to anything good. :2cents:

dcoles, the problem is that while the Republican Party goes a little too overboard in backing the Christian set of morals and valued, the Democratic Party does everything possible to avoid a connection with ANY set of morals and values. Therefore, for those of us who believe in those two concepts the only one of the two main parties we CAN in good conscience look at is the Republican Party.

Actually Mass, I'd characterize it a little differently. The Dems have taken the position that the individual is best equipped to make decisions where it concerns their faith and their personal lives in general. I'll gladly come back to the GOP when they leave the religious right agenda behind and concentrate on what conservatism is supposed to really be about, less intrusive government and sound fiscal management.

In the meantime, I voted for Obama because I think he's the best manager and leader of the choices we had.

I guess that is just where we differ.

When it comes to religion i'd rather not go far enough then ever go too far.

Going too far with religion never leads to anything good. :2cents:

I'm not talking about RELIGION, dcoles. I'm talking about Morals and Values. For most people those come from their religion, but that's not the ONLY place they can come from. Unfortunately the Democratic Party in my lifetime has moved so far away from the concepts of Morals and Values (whether associated with religion or not) that there is no way that I can even seriously consider looking at the Party's candidates because they don't even pay lip service to the concepts.

Actually Mass, I'd characterize it a little differently. The Dems have taken the position that the individual is best equipped to make decisions where it concerns their faith and their personal lives in general. I'll gladly come back to the GOP when they leave the religious right agenda behind and concentrate on what conservatism is supposed to really be about, less intrusive government and sound fiscal management.

Yusuf, I'd suggest that the Dems have gone to a point where they no longer believe that the concepts of Right and Wrong actually exist. Everything is a "grey" area in their minds. Regardless of how Black and White an issue is, they will find a "grey" area that keeps them from actually taking a stand on the issue.

I'm not talking about RELIGION, dcoles. I'm talking about Morals and Values. For most people those come from their religion, but that's not the ONLY place they can come from. Unfortunately the Democratic Party in my lifetime has moved so far away from the concepts of Morals and Values (whether associated with religion or not) that there is no way that I can even seriously consider looking at the Party's candidates because they don't even pay lip service to the concepts.

Religion, morals, whatever you want to call it, I still won't side with the party of imaginary friends and the fear of the boogyman.

The democratic party actually fight for many things that I find moral.

Like I said, this is where we differ. Not need to bash our heads together because neither of us are going to change each other's mind.

This may once have been true but as it has been said the Democrats have finally found God. After years of running away from faith issues an appealing to the secular they have begun to realize that ignoring the voice of those people of faith was helping them out, and with the help of groups like Sojourners, and people like Jim Wallis, Tony Campolo and Brian McLaren the Democrats have begun to hear the voice of those with faith, and all the sudden we have a candidate who is completely comfortable speaking about the issues surrounding his faith in ways that surpass the superficial bumper sticker talking points that the GOP have been feeding like bait to the faithful for decades.

By the way Jim Wallis' book "God's Politics: Why the Right gets it wrong and the Left doesn't get it" should be required reading for politicians and clergy alike.

I leave you all with these 10 predictions no matter who wins the election tomorrow:

1. The Bible will still have all the answers.

2. Prayer will still work.

3. The Holy Spirit will still move.

4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people.

5. There will still be God-anointed preaching.

6. There will still be singing of praise to God.

7. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.

8. There will still be room at the Cross.

9. Jesus will still love you.

10. Jesus will still save the lost when they come to Him.

I am blessed to know all 10 of these to be true and I hope that over time each of you will know the same no matter who you choose to vote for tomorrow. God bless.

Jeremy

I leave you all with these 10 predictions no matter who wins the election tomorrow:

1. The Bible will still have all the answers.

2. Prayer will still work.

3. The Holy Spirit will still move.

4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people.

5. There will still be God-anointed preaching.

6. There will still be singing of praise to God.

7. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.

8. There will still be room at the Cross.

9. Jesus will still love you.

10. Jesus will still save the lost when they come to Him.

I am blessed to know all 10 of these to be true and I hope that over time each of you will know the same no matter who you choose to vote for tomorrow. God bless.

Jeremy

I must be confused, I thought the subject of this thread was "why are you voting for Obama?"

:whoknows:

Surprisingly emphatic endorsement from Andrew Sullivan there:

If I were to give one reason why I believe electing Barack Obama is essential tomorrow, it would be an end to this dark, lawless period in American constitutional government. The domestic cultural and political reasons for an Obama presidency remain as strong as they were when I wrote "Goodbye To All That" over a year ago. His ability to get us past the culture war has been proven in this campaign, in the generation now coming of age that will elect him if they turn out, in Obama's staggering ability not to take the bait. His fiscal policies are too liberal for me - I don't believe in raising taxes, I believe in cutting entitlements for the middle classes as the way to fiscal balance. I don't believe in "progressive taxation", I support a flat tax. I don't want to give unions any more power. I'm sure there will be moments when a Democratic Congress will make me wince. But I also understand that money has to come from somewhere, and it will not come in any meaningful measure from freezing pork or the other transparent gimmicks advertized in advance by McCain. McCain is not serious on spending. But he is deadly serious in not touching taxes. So, on the core question of debt, on bringing America back to fiscal reason, Obama is still better than McCain. If I have to take an ideological hit to head toward fiscal solvency, I'll put country before ideology.

But none of this compares to the task of restoring the rule of law and Constitutional balance. Unlike McCain, Obama has never wavered on torture or habeas corpus or on keeping the executive branch under the law. His deep understanding and awareness of the Constitution eclipses McCain's. Coming from the opposing party, he will also be able to restore confidence that what lies within America's secret government - the one constructed by Bush and Cheney beyond any accountability, law or morality - will be ended or cleaned up. He can restore critically needed trust again - and force the Democratic party to take responsibility for a war which we all need to own, and take responsibility for, again.

We cannot win this war without regaining our democratic soul, ending torture, and returning to lawful governance. But these things won't win the war either. On that, we have a perilous task ahead. I don't know how Obama will be able to get out of Iraq in his first term. I fear that Bush and Cheney have made withdrawal deliberately difficult if not impossible. I fear the same in Afghanistan. I don't know how Obama will handle Iran, given the power that Bush and Cheney have ceded to the Islamist regime there, and the danger of a pre-emptive strike before Obama even gets inaugurated. But I do know that he will handle these wars with reason, with prudence and with care. Those are three qualities absent from the White House for eight years. And I do know that Obama's very person, and what he symbolizes, will do more to restore America's image and repair our global public relations than any single measure any new administration will be able to accomplish.

The truth is: we are in a war for the future of human civilization. We are fighting for a world in which destructive technology need not collide with fierce religious fundamentalism to annihilate us all; for a world in which dialogue across cultures and religions and regions (even within America) is essential if we are to survive. We need to win the argument in the developing world; we need to reach out and persuade the Muslim middle - especially the next generation in Iran and Iraq and Pakistan and Saudi Arabia and Turkey and Western Europe - about the virtues of democracy and constitutionalism. We cannot do that if we trash our own values ourselves. It is self-defeating. We cannot be a beacon to the world until we have reformed ourselves. In this war, we are also fighting for an America that does not lose its soul in fighting our enemy. Just because we are fighting evil does not mean we cannot ourselves succumb to it. That is what my Christian faith teaches me - that no nation has a monopoly on virtue, and that every generation has to earn its own integrity. I fear and believe we have given away far too much - and that, while this loss is permanent, it can nonetheless be mitigated by a new start, a new direction, a new statement that the America the world once knew and loved is back.

It will not be easy. The world will soon remember why it resents America as well as loves it. But until this unlikely fellow with the funny ears and strange name and exotic biography emerged on the scene, I had begun to wonder if it was possible at all. I had almost given up hope, and he helped restore it. That is what is stirring out there; and although you are welcome to mock me for it, I remain unashamed. As someone once said, in the unlikely story of America, there is never anything false about hope. Obama, moreover, seems to bring out the best in people, and the calmest, and the sanest. He seems to me to have a blend of Midwestern good sense, an intuitive understanding of the developing world that is as much our future now as theirs', an analyst's mind and a poet's tongue. He is human. He is flawed. He will make mistakes. His passivity and ambiguity are sometimes weaknesses as well as strengths.

But there is something about his rise that is also supremely American, a reminder of why so many of us love this country so passionately and are filled with such grief at what has been done to it and in its name. I endorse Barack Obama because I will not give up on America, because I believe in America, and in her constitution and decency and character and strength.

And the world needs that America now as much as it ever has. Can we start that healing, that rebirth, tomorrow?

Yes. We. Can.

I think that there is "morality" and "value" in supporting (for example), a clean environment, and civil liberties.

mostly because he is the right man at the right time..... also because mccain lost any chance of my vote when he chose the worst possible running mate he could merely to pander to disenfranchised hillary supporters....... as if palin has a 10th of the intellect hillary has.....

i would find the selection of palin amusing if it werent so damn depressing that he and others think she is the best person for the job

McCain made a serious miscalculation with Palin, not so much because of her, but because it confirmed who pulls the strings in the Republican Party--the far right. For people who lean right economically but are forced to sign off on a whole host of social issues they don't agree with, it's a difficult pill to swallow, and I think it will cost McCain the election.

There's a large number of fiscal conservative, social liberal people who confuse me by their allegiance to one party or the other.

It seems like your President should be a Democrat, and your Congress should be Republican.

Congress controls the budget, and a real Republican Congress (here's the problem it seems) should have the guts to actually resist spending (I'm not saying about the current Congress for obvious reasons, but I'm saying that the Republicans in general have shifted away from being fiscally conservative).

I think that combination is the best to safeguard your ideals.

Archived