Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA Target: Albert Haynesworth?

method man

I agree with some here...The money it would cost...he would need to be a positive perfect fit...and he is not.Perfect talent...But possible trbl.

While I agree he may be too much money, what exactly is "perfect" talent? Albert Haynesworth is, without question, playing his best football over the past two seasons, and this year is unquestionably the defensive player of the year in my opinion. He may not get the "official" award because of his position but he deserves it nonetheless.:2cents:

Can't sign both Asomugha and Haynesworth. Too much money. We don't need Asomugha badly anyway considering we have Rogers. If we are hell-bent on getting a corner in FA, I'd much rather target Dunta Robinson, who will be a lot cheaper, because he is coming off injuries.

I wasnt saying we get both, maybe i should of said that, but yeah i was saying we should trade springs, get asomugha, draft selvie in the first and with a mid round pick get a DT.

No and hell no. In the next couple of years we can pickup quality D-linesmen either in the draft or FA that will be MUCH Cheaper than him. Unless the cap goes away I don't want us to get bogged down with HUGE contracts.

You have it right. "We're just one or two players away..." is the Mediocrity Trap. 30 of the 32 teams are thinking the same thing.

No. We have a good defense and we don't need an outsider in our group. Our home grown DT's are finally getting things done everywhere but in the flashy sack category. We need to worry about 2 things defensively and thats better LB depth and better CB depth. Who is going to take over for Fletcher when he retires? HB Blades? I don't know if he can...who is going to take over for Marcus when he retires? We have nobody right now. Who is going to step in for Macintosh if he gets injured as he has in the past?

The only position on the entire defense where we're okay is DT. DE we're not young which should be addressed, but the biggest concern to me is LB/CB depth in the off season.

You got to be kidding me. He is like Pacman Jones-Lite. Let's see...

1. While a sophomore at Tennessee, he fought with a teammate and left practice, returning with a long pole looking for tackle Will Ofenheusle before coach Phillip Fulmer stopped him.

2. An incident occurred at a Titans training camp, where Haynesworth kicked his teammate, center Justin Hartwig, in the chest, and had to be restrained by other teammates.

3. Arrest warrants were issued against Haynesworth in two Tennessee counties in May of 2006 stemming from a traffic incident on Interstate 40. Both sets of charges were dropped in June 2006.

4. On October 1, 2006, in the third quarter of a game against the Cowboys, running back Julius Jones scored on a running play. Center Andre Gurode fell to the ground, and his helmet was removed by Haynesworth. According to DallasCowboys.com columnist Mickey Spagnola[4], Haynesworth reached down and pulled off his helmet; in video evidence of the play, Haynesworth does indeed bend down towards Gurode prior to his helmet being off and prior to the stomps, although because the view is partially blocked by other players it cannot be seen whether he manually removes the helmet. (video) However, most media outlets reported simply that Gurode's helmet was off.

Haynesworth tried to stomp on Gurode's head, but missed. A second stomp opened a severe wound on Gurode's forehead, narrowly missing his right eye. Haynesworth was hit with a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. In the midst of his protest, he took off his helmet and threw it to the ground, which led to another 15-yard penalty and Haynesworth's ejection from the game. [5] Gurode later received 30 stitches just above and below his right eye.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxMRPTsYeo

This is the guy you want to pick up in Free Agency?! I don't care how well he plays. That is not the type of player you want on your team.

While I agree he may be too much money, what exactly is "perfect" talent? Albert Haynesworth is, without question, playing his best football over the past two seasons, and this year is unquestionably the defensive player of the year in my opinion. He may not get the "official" award because of his position but he deserves it nonetheless.:2cents:

Not sure what your asking...I state that IMO he is Perfect talent.

The only position on the entire defense where we're okay is DT. DE we're not young which should be addressed, but the biggest concern to me is LB/CB depth in the off season.

I wouldn't necessarily say we're okay at DT, but we're certainly less steady at LB.

Asomugha would be a fantastic pick-up in FA. To be honest, Springs has been a surprise in terms of his availability, even though he's missed games. He plainly cannot be considered a part of the 'Skins future.

FA is the best bet for replacing Springs, and I think the Redskins should be thinking LB as a primary draft target. DT is sure to be considered as well, just not by way of a $50M contract.:2cents:

1. While a sophomore at Tennessee, he fought with a teammate and left practice, returning with a long pole looking for tackle Will Ofenheusle before coach Phillip Fulmer stopped him.

2. An incident occurred at a Titans training camp, where Haynesworth kicked his teammate, center Justin Hartwig, in the chest, and had to be restrained by other teammates.

3. Arrest warrants were issued against Haynesworth in two Tennessee counties in May of 2006 stemming from a traffic incident on Interstate 40. Both sets of charges were dropped in June 2006.

4. On October 1, 2006, in the third quarter of a game against the Cowboys, running back Julius Jones scored on a running play. Center Andre Gurode fell to the ground, and his helmet was removed by Haynesworth. According to DallasCowboys.com columnist Mickey Spagnola[4], Haynesworth reached down and pulled off his helmet; in video evidence of the play, Haynesworth does indeed bend down towards Gurode prior to his helmet being off and prior to the stomps, although because the view is partially blocked by other players it cannot be seen whether he manually removes the helmet. (video) However, most media outlets reported simply that Gurode's helmet was off.

Haynesworth tried to stomp on Gurode's head, but missed. A second stomp opened a severe wound on Gurode's forehead, narrowly missing his right eye. Haynesworth was hit with a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. In the midst of his protest, he took off his helmet and threw it to the ground, which led to another 15-yard penalty and Haynesworth's ejection from the game. [5] Gurode later received 30 stitches just above and below his right eye.

This is the guy you want to pick up in Free Agency?! I don't care how well he plays. That is not the type of player you want on your team.

Come on !!! Haven't we all had a cpl bad days !! :doh:

I wouldn't necessarily say we're okay at DT, but we're certainly less steady at LB.

Asomugha would be a fantastic pick-up in FA. To be honest, Springs has been a surprise in terms of his availability, even though he's missed games. He plainly cannot be considered a part of the 'Skins future.

FA is the best bet for replacing Springs, and I think the Redskins should be thinking LB as a primary draft target. DT is sure to be considered as well, just not by way of a $50M contract.:2cents:

Rocky is coming along nicely...Blades is coming along...Fincher showed some things in Pre -season. I always want more depth everywhere but I think are worse in other areas.

I want to get the guys settled before replacing them...And again...I always ask...Who is going to replace and do better?

I honestly feel that right now we are an Albert Haynesworth away from having one of the best defenses ever. The guy is going to be an unrestricted free agent this year and the Titans have promised not to franchise him. I would be willing to offer him up to a $30 million signing bonus. The one problem with this team right now is the interior guys not getting any push whatsoever and that ends up hurting the ends in their pass rush. A guy like Haynesworth would make this team monumentally better.

:applause: Absolutely I agree with that. But he does have character issues to deal with. Plus we do have alot of homegrown talent to groom. Overall your point is very valid, both sides of line need to be seriously upgraded. Younger guards are going to be key to continued success under the Z-man. :helmet:

I think he just has a distaste for centers. Whether it is on the offensive line or staying in the center of his driving lane, there is just no love lost between him and centers.

I think this is nitpicking though. Two incidents are fights with teammates (guess how often that happens). Both fights happened when haynesworth was 22 or younger. That is a non-issue. The other is a traffic incident. Let's face it, how many young men don't have a traffic violation? I'd look at him weird if he DIDN'T have one.

The only really egregious event was kicking gurode. That was bad but one incident in 7 years doesn't suddenly make him pacman jones. Heck, if anything he's been squeaky clean ever since he did that and I'd love to see him line up across from gurode twice a year. Maybe he learned his lesson.

You have it right. "We're just one or two players away..." is the Mediocrity Trap. 30 of the 32 teams are thinking the same thing.

Definitely. But for the first time since Snyder bought the team, I think we actually ARE 1 or 2 players away.

And, while there is some young talent to like here, there is also the reality that a lot of key players who are going to be pushing past their primes in the next couple of seasons.

In other words, the team may be a couple of players away from a Super Bowl while also having a small window of opportunity to capitalize on that. If ever there were an off-season to spend, this is probably it coming up.

I'm not understanding all you guys who think that Golston, Monty, and Alexander are potential stars. None of them are and I am betting Alexander will be out of the league in a couple years. If you get a guy like Haynesworth that just improves the dynamic of the whole defense and you'd see Taylor and Carter get double digit sacks because of all the focus on Haynesworth. As an example, Haynesworth is largely responsible for the success of Tony Brown and Kyle Vanden Bosch.

I'm not understanding all you guys who think that Golston, Monty, and Alexander are potential stars. None of them are and I am betting Alexander will be out of the league in a couple years. If you get a guy like Haynesworth that just improves the dynamic of the whole defense and you'd see Taylor and Carter get double digit sacks because of all the focus on Haynesworth. As an example, Haynesworth is largely responsible for the success of Tony Brown and Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Couldn't agree more. Not only does he bring you a massive body in the middle to stiflle the run he allows your ends to become speed pass rushers and give up a little on "gap intergrity" since the middle of the oline is getting blown up every down not opening any gaps! I said before and will say again that Haynesworth is playing MVP type football right now, that's how good he is playing and he played almost as good last season as well. I think a guy like this only comes along so often. Can we afford him? Don't honestly know. Will he be a clubhouse problem? I am not about to call this guy Pacman because of one onfield incident done in the heat of battle.:2cents:

Archived