Cooked Crack

Should moss return punts?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Should moss return punts?

• yes
    • no

You know what? **** it.

She's right.

I'm not a Virginian. I'm a Northern Virginian. First generation. Hell, I'm a Washingtonian more then a Virginian.

So let's just end this charade.

Virginia very clearly doesn't really want us. (If at all, it's for our money.) Ask the McCain camp. Ask George Allen. Ask TrumanB. We're not family. We're the outsiders. We're elitish, snobish, commie-pinko liberals from up North. Not real Virginians.

That's cool. I can live with that.

But now I want my own state.

The State of Northern Virginia.

It's coming. It's only a matter of time.

I honestly don't see what we have to lose.

And for the record, I'm an expert on this topic. I can see the "Real" Virginia from the roof of my house.

You know what? **** it.

She's right.

I'm not a Virginian. I'm a Northern Virginian. First generation. Hell, I'm a Washingtonian more then a Virginian.

Virginia very clearly doesn't really want us. (If at all, it's for our money.) Ask the McCain camp. Ask George Allen. Ask TrumanB. We're not family. We're the outsiders. We're elitish, snobish, commie-pinko liberals from up North. Not real Virginians.

And for the record, I'm an expert on this topic. I can see the "Real" Virginia from the roof of my house.

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You forgot wine-sipping (TrumanB), from D.C.(spokewoman), and Un-Southern(spokeswoman).

Oh, not real Americans(Gov. Palin), and wealth-redistributing(Joe the Plumber), anti-business(Many posters here), economy killers (ditto last).

*Possibly terrorist supporting(right-wing nutjobs) as well, although that seems to be on a simmer this week.*

:silly:

I can see why you guys have your panties all in a bunch but you do like to be considered "the DC area" so dont get too uppity about it.

No, it is more so the continual habit of the McCain campaign, as well as the Right, deciding who is "American" and who is not.

Heck, Republican cheerleaders such as Ann Coulter have written entire books on this subject.

Republican = "real American"

Democrat = traitors

support the war = "real" American

anti-war = traitors

southern and western = "real" American

urban Americans = traitors

McCain = "real" American

Obama = traitor

We see this ALL the time, on the national stage and just the microcosm of the ES Tailgate. The Right dehumanizes their opponents all the time, reducing them to mere "commie traitors."

The McCain campaign has the slogan of "Country First," which is hogwash, because it is party first. The national Republican party has devolved into a divisive entity concerned little with Americans that aren't on "its side."

The republican party is an absolute joke and the decent republicans need to take their party back.

You have this bimbo Palin saying she likes being around "real American's" when speaking in NC and now apparently Northern Va isn't American either.

How does this help America? How is this a good thing for the country to say that some are and some aren't Americans?

Limbaugh, Hanity, Palin, ect, ect.......if you listen to these people you need to seriously do some self reflection.

I don't understand why this is a big deal. It is clear that NOVA is much different than the rest of VA.

What was this comment gonna do besides make people on the left slightly annoyed (at the most). It isn't like Republicans living in NOVA would get mad about this, and it definitely wouldn't effect on who they vote for. In fact, they might agree.

Many Republicans hate living in this liberal hell hole:)

I don't understand why this is a big deal. It is clear that NOVA is much different than the rest of VA.

What was this comment gonna do besides make people on the left slightly annoyed (at the most). It isn't like Republicans living in NOVA would get mad about this, and it definitely wouldn't effect on who they vote for. In fact, they might agree.

Many Republicans hate living in this liberal hell hole:)

I think the problem is with the Mccain campaign, and many Republicans, always trying to seemingly decide who is a "real"...whatever.

As a native central Virginian, and now a GMU student, I can honestly say that NOVA is not "real Virginia."

Is Norfolk real Virginia? How about Middleburg horse country, or Loudoun County vineyards? Or Chincoteague or Charlottesville?

What is "real Virginia" in the 21st century?

You know what? **** it.

She's right.

Y'see, that's the problem. When I go elsewhere in the state and people ask me where I'm from, I actually name the little town I'm from. And then I have to name the county, and then I have to give a geographical description related to the nearest city, because no one has ever heard of these places.

I've never heard someone from Danville declare themselves to be from "Southern Virginia". Not the first time around, anyway. Yet, I run into people all the time who, when asked where they are from, say "Northern Virginia". What? That's pretty vague. Are you from Alexandria? Manassas? Warrenton?

Growing up, I never thought of northern Virginia as "Northern Virginia". It was all just Virginia. All of it a part of the commonwealth; everything that was good about Arlington and Woodbridge and Reston, about Lynchburg and Martinsville and Blacksburg, about Fredericksburg and Charlottesville and Richmond, was good about Virginia.

I think maybe that's what some people have issues with. I never thought of northern Virginia as a separate region until I started hearing a lot of people from the area repeatedly referring to it in a distinct, separate fashion. Maybe I've got the order of operations messed up on that one, I don't know. But I think that's part of why some people feel northern Virginia is "full of a bunch of 'come-here's'" upset about having to live in Virginia and deciding that, "at least we'll make our part of it 'civilized'", or something.

I just feel like recognizing northern Virginia as a distinct entity, separate from everywhere else in the commonwealth, is somehow... divisive and petty. It is somehow insulting to the greatest of all states, and to all its residents who love Virginia dearly and identify with it. And that goes for everyone who lives here; no need for regional hostilities, everybody, you're already a Virginian and it doesn't get any better than that.

:cheers:

Besides, we really need to be on the lookout for those Ohio people... those zealots are WAY too unified to be up to anything but dastardly evil plans...:paranoid:

okay, I listened to that clip twice. She said two things that reinforce a message:

1. They, the Democrats have just moved into Northern Virginia from D.C.

2. The Real Virginia is more Southern in nature.

It's hard to think that an intelligent and educated person would randomly string these two comments together in a 30 second interview and not mean "The blacks took over Northern Virginia, and real Virginia Southerners will vote as the racists they are." I think she intended her comments in that way, not daring to cut to the chase.

Disclaimer. Even though I now live in Oregon, I did live in Northern Virginia for 9 years, and West Virginia (Harpers Ferry) for 3.

?

Pretty sure the demographics haven't changed drastically toward more balck populations in NOVA. Percentage of white's has gone down, but thats because of all the rich Indians, asians, etc. that have moved to NOVA. Its becoming more multi-cultural, not more Black and less White.

What I can say is that yes, NOVA certaintly does not reflect the rest of Virginia anymore. It's very liberal and a lot of yuppie democrats have moved to the area. they certaintly have changed the political demographic. NOVA culture is much different than Virginia culture down past Fredricksburg and Winchester.

and we southerners are not all racist pricks, thank you very much.

But the problem I see with this argument is that it can be made about pretty much any metro area in any state. For example...metro Atlanta is not "real' Georgia. Miami-Dade is not "real" Florida. New Orleans is not "real" Louisiana. Whenever you have a big state there will be different types of places within each state. To try to say which is "real" and which is fake is just dumb.

?

Pretty sure the demographics haven't changed drastically toward more balck populations in NOVA. Percentage of white's has gone down, but thats because of all the rich Indians, asians, etc. that have moved to NOVA. Its becoming more multi-cultural, not more Black and less White.

Okay, I see you understood her language and my point. When she said "democrats move out of DC" I interpeted that as non-Caucasian because there were not a majority of "white yuppie liberal types" living in DC to do the moving out of. Working, sure. Living, no.

and we southerners are not all racist pricks, thank you very much.

Sorry if my posts throughout gave you the impression that I thought that was the case. I don't. I only think of 'Southern' in that way when it is presented in tandem with a racial issue, as I originally contended.

I do try hard to learn from rather than live in the past, and not generalize entire populations by the actions of a few. We certainly have our share of race themed bigots out in the West.

You know what? **** it.

She's right.

dude you act like the rest of VA is bum**** rural country

I think it's best for all Virginians if we come together and realize the great potential of our state. It is good to have a heterogeneous state, we have lots of different cultures here, even the Appalachian Americans contribute a little.

The problem lies a lot in jealousy and alienation. I mean when NoVans say that the rest of VA is redneck they forget that Richmond and Chesapeake Bay and Charlottesville (edit: thanks, Henry) regions have long been the only bastions of urbanism and liberalism in the state, long before ANY semblance of Northern Virginia. Yes it is unfair that your region's money is used mostly to fund other parts of VA, but this is true on the national level, that's just how it works, the wealthy areas try to develop the poorer areas...for the good of the whole. I don't think this level of disparity is fair, but I also don't think that it will always stay like that. Likewise it is also stupid for rural Virginians to think that Northern Virginia is not a real part of Virginia or it's made of yankees, this is nothing more than narrow mindedness, and a refusal to recognize change.

It's wasn't just Northern Virginia that booted out George Allen, it was a statewide election, and Virginia will be more fair to Northern Virginia, just give it time I am sure it will happen. I mean Northern Virginia is now impossible to ignore, so it would be foolish for any state politician to do so. But in that same vein, all this talk about how Northern Virginia is not Virginia is bull crap too, I mean if you keep saying you live in DC and then treat the rest of the state like crap even the parts that you aren't so different from then there is going to be resentment, you take someone from Richmond and someone from Fairfax and if you can point out some huge differences then I'll eat my words. But at JMU I see lots of people from NoVa and Richmond and the only big difference I see is that it's only the NoVans claim they live outside of Virginia.

To me the problem is obviously formed from both sides. NoVa has to accept it's Virginian identity and the rest of Virginia has to treat Northern Virginia like a member of the Commonwealth.

Separatism won't help anyone in the long run, especially because it won't ever happen and talking about it will only lead to a deeper schism.

The problem lies a lot in jealousy and alienation. I mean when NoVans say that the rest of VA is redneck they forget that Richmond and Chesapeake Bay regions have long been the only bastions of liberalism in the state, long before ANY semblance of Northern Virginia. Yes it is unfair that your region's money is used mostly to fund other parts of VA, but this is true on the national level, that's just how it works, the wealthy areas try to develop the poorer areas...for the good of the whole. I don't think it's fair, but I also don't think that it will always stay like that. Likewise it is also stupid for rural Virginians to think that Northern Virginia is not a real part of Virginia or it's made of yankees, this is nothing more than narrow mindedness, and a refusal to recognize change.

Let's not forget that Charlottesville is also a very liberal area. Maybe that's not 'real Virginia' either.

I agree with you Liberty. NoVa is different than some other parts of VA, but it's also very different than the northeast. Even Maryland right across the river. In comparison to those areas it IS very southern.

The problem lies a lot in jealousy and alienation. I mean when NoVans say that the rest of VA is redneck they forget that Richmond and Chesapeake Bay and Charlottesville (edit: thanks, Henry) regions have long been the only bastions of urbanism and liberalism in the state, long before ANY semblance of Northern Virginia. Yes it is unfair that your region's money is used mostly to fund other parts of VA, but this is true on the national level, that's just how it works, the wealthy areas try to develop the poorer areas...for the good of the whole. I don't think this level of disparity is fair, but I also don't think that it will always stay like that. Likewise it is also stupid for rural Virginians to think that Northern Virginia is not a real part of Virginia or it's made of yankees, this is nothing more than narrow mindedness, and a refusal to recognize change.

<snip>

I think what you mentioned is part of the irony behind the language of the Right: "Blue" areas of the country often pay more taxes (and receive less federal dollars per capita), while "Red" areas are some of the highest recipients of federal money (while contributing a lower amount to federal revenues). Case in point, Alaska receiving more federal dollars, per capita, then any other state in the Union, even though Palin and her supporters would try to act like it is the other way around.

Having been born and raised in NOVA, i hate being associated with the rest of the state. Whenever someone asks be where im from, i never say "Virginia" i always say "Northern Virginia."

I remember when I went to college in New York and people asked where I was from, I'd say Virginia. And then I'd always get asked "where's your accent?"

Eventually, rather than explain for the umpteenth time that Northern Virginians don't have a classical Virginia accent I'd say I was from the DC area.

That doesn't mean I didn't think I was from Virginia.

I have relatives that live in Maryland but I'd never want to live there. It has a decidedly different feel to it. A northern feel. The Virginia side is more laid back, and it's cleaner.

My wife is from New York and she insists that Virginia, the entire state mind you, is a mid-atlantic state as opposed to a southern state because the very notion of her living in the south is repulsive to her. We argue about it all the time. :)

But in any event. It's all 'real' Virginia to me. If you've lived here your whole life you can tell the difference between Virginia and the rest of the world.

I remember when I went to college in New York and people asked where I was from, I'd say Virginia. And then I'd always get asked "where's your accent?"

Eventually, rather than explain for the umpteenth time that Northern Virginians don't have a classical Virginia accent I'd say I was from the DC area.

That doesn't mean I didn't think I was from Virginia.

I have relatives that live in Maryland but I'd never want to live there. It has a decidedly different feel to it. A northern feel. The Virginia side is more laid back, and it's cleaner.

My wife is from New York and she insists that Virginia, the entire state mind you, is a mid-atlantic state as opposed to a southern state because the very notion of her living in the south is repulsive to her. We argue about it all the time. :)

But in any event. It's all 'real' Virginia to me. If you've lived here your whole life you can tell the difference between Virginia and the rest of the world.

I dont disagree that VA is different from everywhere else, but Northern Virginia and the rest of the state are not the same. At all. Im not saying one is real and one isnt, im just saying they arent the same.

Archived