Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Horton Named NFL Defensive Rookie of Month

skinsfan07

I love it! Searched "Chris Horton" and didn't see this posted. So here it is. Our 7th round STEAL, Chris Horton out of UCLA is the NFL DROM. I hope he keeps up the good work. We may be looking at the DROY......This kid is special guys and a great compliment to Laron.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Horton_Named_NFL_Defensive_Rookie_of_Month_24126.jsp

Horton Named NFL Defensive Rookie of Month

24127.jpg

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Posted: October 2, 2008

The honors keep rolling in for Redskins rookie Chris Horton.

Horton was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for September. He is the first Redskins rookie to win the award since Fred Smoot in September 2001.

“This is great recognition for a young player with tremendous potential,” head coach Jim Zorn said. “He is playing with great effort for our football team.”

It’s the second award handed down from the NFL to Horton this season. He was also named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for Week 2.

For the month, the seventh-round draft pick from UCLA registered 10 tackles, three interceptions, a fumble recovery, three passes defended and three special teams tackles.

Horton’s four takeaways are the most in the NFC and tied for the NFL lead with Tennessee’s Cortland Finnegan. His interception total is tied for the NFC lead and second in the NFL.

All four of Horton’s takeaways occurred in his two starts against New Orleans and Dallas, both Redskins wins.

Last Sunday, with the Redskins leading 20-17 in the third quarter, Horton ranged to his left and picked off a Tony Romo sits to pee pass.

Horton also made three tackles on the day, including one that held Terrell Owens to a 6-yard gain on an end-around and one on Jason Witten, stopping the Pro Bowl tight end six yards short of a first down.

The New Orleans native made his first NFL start in the Redskins’ 29-24 win over the Saints on Sept. 14.

In that game, Horton delivered two interceptions and one fumble recovery.

If he keeps this up we may have a legit Defensive Rookie of the Year Candidate.

IMO he def. is a candidate. When ya think about it, there are really no other defensive rookies that "stick" out. Howie Long's boy sucks in STL, Dorsey ain't doing a thing.

I mean, it's Chris' to lose already. The kid is good. That's a fact.

So does anyone know who gets credit for drafting Horton in 7th round? It's a hell of a pick... just wondering if we know who scouted Horton.

I'd have to think that DeWayne Walker, former coach here that left to be a DC @ UCLA might have had something to do with this. If so, thank you!

I'd have to think that DeWayne Walker, former coach here that left to be a DC @ UCLA might have had something to do with this. If so, thank you!

A HUGE thank you! If he would have played like this at UCLA, he'd definitely would have been a 1st rounder, don't you think?

Archived