Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Horton Named NFL Defensive Rookie of Month

skinsfan07

A HUGE thank you! If he would have played like this at UCLA, he'd definitely would have been a 1st rounder, don't you think?

Yeah, if you read the link to the blog post I posted earlier, you can see what they said the negatives were with him. One of them being his hands. Here's an excerpt

"They said I was tight in the hips, couldn't play man-to-man, had poor ball skills and no range," said Horton. "But I already knew I might not be the best safety around. I just felt like I was a good football player."

Horton admits that some of his rookie mistakes have been covered up by all the talk of his three interceptions. Redskins coaches actually removed him from Sunday's game against the Cowboys in favor of more experience, but he returned in time to make another huge play. With the Redskins clinging to a 20-17 lead in the second half, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee spotted a wide-open Miles Austin in the right flat. Horton was near the line of scrimmage, and he was supposed to key on a potential run.

But when he saw Romo sits to pee's "eyes get real big," Horton went racing toward the sideline. Romo sits to pee never saw him enter the picture, and Horton had his third interception of the season. The Redskins added a field goal to make it 23-17 and held on for a huge division win.

"I was supposed to play underneath the trail receiver," Horton said. "So I was going out there regardless of where [Romo sits to pee] threw it that direction or not."

Horton said all his buddies from UCLA have been shocked by his interceptions. He made a lot of tackles in 41 games for the Bruins, but finished his career with only four interceptions.

"As a college player, I wasn't so fortunate to catch all those balls," said Horton. "My ex-teammates keep asking where these hands came from. I used to sort of freak out when the ball was in the air. I can remember one of my coaches telling me after the season that I'd missed seven opportunities. I definitely had some brick hands."

This is great.

There's also a cool write up of him on the NFCE blog on ESPN.com, http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-4-8/Redskins--seventh-rounder-Horton-a-quick-study.html.

He just really seems to be a really good kid with a good heart and the success is not going to his head.

Good article. Thanks for the link. Glad to see a good, humble kid excel. :eaglesuck

Damn from the ESPN article, it looks like he is surprised himself with all the picks he's made lol. But great find in the 7th. He wasn't even the first safety we picked and when we did pick him, I thought it was a wasted pick, cuz we already got the guy we had targeted in Kareem Moore.

Congrats to The Predator. He has been looking good since the preseason. Hopefully he just keeps on improving.

The 7th rd UCLA player gets rookie of the month. The 2nd rd USC player makes the news for taking a nap. The front office should keep that in mind in the future.

I know some people will think you're being a homer but it seems to me that USC talent underperforms in the league. There are some exceptions but the more hype, the worse they perform. I'd almost say LenDale White helped himself by getting fat and out of shape because at least it tempered people's expectations.

Where's Dwayne Jarrett the wideout? All I know is Mumm-Ra Muhsin is still catching balls after his brief stint in Chi-town.

I know some people will think you're being a homer but it seems to me that USC talent underperforms in the league. There are some exceptions but the more hype, the worse they perform. I'd almost say LenDale White helped himself by getting fat and out of shape because at least it tempered people's expectations.

Where's Dwayne Jarrett the wideout? All I know is Mumm-Ra Muhsin is still catching balls after his brief stint in Chi-town.

Don't forget how fantastic Mike Williams performed at WR.

But the Redskins have had some great USC guys. Rob Johnson, Sultan McColough, Ohalete etc.

Archived