Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1 million rounds per minute prototype

RyansRangers

IMO, in order to use a "rounds/minute" rating, the weapon must be capable of firing for at least, say, three seconds.

Otherwise your double-barreled shotgun, with bird shot, might be capable of "a million rounds a minute", since it fires 100 pellets in a tenth of a second. (Then it's 30 seconds before you can fire again.)

You don't rate a frag grenade in "rounds per minute".

I could see some more use for it if it spread its rounds into a fan shape (to cut down incoming infantry/vehicles) but since its spread is so limited I just wonder the guns purpose.

Also, I can't see it being used for ship defense because the kinds of guns they have on ships now-a-days make that think look like a water pistol.

I could see some more use for it if it spread its rounds into a fan shape (to cut down incoming infantry/vehicles) but since its spread is so limited I just wonder the guns purpose.

Also, I can't see it being used for ship defense because the kinds of guns they have on ships now-a-days make that think look like a water pistol.

If it was capable of really firing a million rounds a minute, and being a big enough caliber it would be used on ships to target enemy missiles that make it that close.

How many rounds per minute is the Gatling-type gun mounted on the A10 Thunderbolt (Warthog)?

Edit:

Wiki says:

Its primary built-in weapon is the 30 mm GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun. One of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, it fires large depleted uranium armor-piercing shells. In the original design, the pilot could switch between two rates of fire: 2,100 or 4,200 rounds per minute; this was changed to a fixed rate of 3,900 rounds per minute. The cannon takes about half a second to come up to speed, so 50 rounds are fired during the first second, 65 or 70 rounds per second thereafter. The gun is consistently accurate; it can place 80% of its shots within a 40-foot circle from 4,000 feet while in flight.

Yikes.

Ship defense would be my guess. They already have guns that are kinda like that on them, not with that many rounds per minute though.

Gotta have a conventional war for that . . .

IMO, in order to use a "rounds/minute" rating, the weapon must be capable of firing for at least, say, three seconds.

Otherwise your double-barreled shotgun, with bird shot, might be capable of "a million rounds a minute", since it fires 100 pellets in a tenth of a second. (Then it's 30 seconds before you can fire again.)

You don't rate a frag grenade in "rounds per minute".

You know that each pellet in a shotgun shell doesn't count as a round, right?

to my mind, that weapon is designed to be on a mobile platform (land or sea) to designed to inflict the maximum damage possible in a short such a short amount of time (regardless of the availabilty of "cover") that it terrifies opponents by it's mere presence.

In short, urban warfare where the goal is pacification or elimination.

I worked on the Phalanx Close In Weapon System in the Navy. The version I worked on was a 6 barrel M61-A1 Gatling gun, hydraulically driven and electrically fired. It had a rate of 3000 rounds per minute. It could put a burst of 300 rounds in the space of a basketball at 1000 yards. The newer versions have a higher rate of fire, up to 6000 per minute and are pneumatically driven.

I used to track the Blue Angels with it (unloaded of course) while they practiced for Fleet Week in S.F. and they would get very upset,

What kind of real-world application does a gun like that have?

This gun is portable enough to be mounted on a helecopter and can have the same type of effect as a phalanx gun on a gun ship... Air to Ground.

I've also heard it proposed to put a large gun on the star wars intercepters like a giant shotgun to help intercept ICBMs.

Medel Storm is located on Route 50 right near the new Air and Space museum in Virginia near Dulles Airport..

I used to track the Blue Angels with it (unloaded of course) while they practiced for Fleet Week in S.F. and they would get very upset,

Were you on an aircraft career? I've seen them used to track cars driving around the docks ( also unloaded).... It's pretty funny when they fire, and then think they killed the car when it goes out of sight.

Archived