Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you had to live in a country other than the US where would you live

shk75

I can't believe some of you are saying Japan.

Anywho, I'd probably choose an English-speaking country, just because no matter what I did to learn a new language I think I'd always feel like a bit of a stranger.

I've always had a great deal of respect for Canada- though I do think the winters would get old. Maybe Australia- but it's hotter than the surface of the sun. And the flies in Australia will drive anyone to drink.

Maybe England- but crappy weather and overwhelming rudeness- don't think I could deal with it.

So I guess I'd say Canada

No one has said it yet, but as long as money and employment aren't mitigating factors, I'm heading for Ireland. Not Northern Ireland mind you, but beautiful, picturesqe Ireland. Somewhere in the Southeast, Kilkenny or Waterford. Or if I wanted to go back to where my ancestors came from, then Galway.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

No one has said it yet, but as long as money and employment aren't mitigating factors, I'm heading for Ireland. Not Northern Ireland mind you, but beautiful, picturesqe Ireland. Somewhere in the Southeast, Kilkenny or Waterford. Or if I wanted to go back to where my ancestors came from, then Galway.

I was just about to say Ireland. My mother was born and raised in Galway, and that's exactly where I'd go without thinking twice. I've got tons of family there. I was just back there this year for a cousin's wedding. Ireland is tied with the US for the title of best place on earth. :cheers:

I find it interesting and slightly disappointing how many here can quickly and easily name two, three or more countries outside the US where they'd like to live.

Because there are some awesome places outside the US. Just beautiful countries with beautiful land, great people, and new things to see.

Take the move, "Lord of the Rings," which was filmed in New Zealand. My sister traveled there, took a tour of various sites where the movie was filmed, and went to some extraordinarily lovely places in that country.

It is simply an amazing country.

You said you'd want to live in the Middle Ages - where do you think you'd be living if you did?

Predicto, you were in love in Barbados, not with Barbados ;). It's just another skanky little caribbean island, seen one seen the all, and I've seen most of them. ;)

Not true at all....the differences between Cuba..Haiti..Martinique..and Aruba are quite vast. The Caribbean is not just one homogeneous tourist trap. There is a lot of culture and each island is unique.

It's a combination of time and place in that case, Baculus. The Europe and Middle East of today are not the same as they were 800 or 1000 years ago. Back then I could have fit in. Nowadays, probably not.

Probably not. Such as it is, this demonstrates that all "foreign" ideas aren't a negative, though, right?

Some parts Middle East or Northern Africa is probably the closest you'll find to the Middle Ages, or perhaps NW Pakistan.

Probably not. Such as it is, this demonstrates that all "foreign" ideas aren't a negative, though, right?

Not really; because in the modern day the ideals, society and culture of that time period have been washed away. Hell, most of Europe doesn't celebrate or even remember most of its history. For the most part they ignore it and focus on today, which is a large part of the reason that I want nothing to do with any of them.

Some parts Middle East or Northern Africa is probably the closest you'll find to the Middle Ages, or perhaps NW Pakistan.

Closest, yes.... but that's damning with faint praise to say the least.

If I could snap my fingers and eliminate the government and their cronies, I'd move to Cuba.

Sure you have to deal with a hurricane or two every year, but from the photos I've seen and from accounts of my Canadian friends who've been there, it makes Hawai'i look like South Central LA.

Denmark (I too am part Danish) and Barbados.

Not true at all....the differences between Cuba..Haiti..Martinique..and Aruba are quite vast. The Caribbean is not just one homogeneous tourist trap. There is a lot of culture and each island is unique.

I will second this. I studied abroad (or two) in Barbados and it was amazing. Not your typical touristy island and has almost none of the issues that the western islands have. Plus you get 2 "strong" drinks during your 8 hour work day.

:cheers:

Archived