Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1999 TO 2008 A lesson in ownership

Chief skin

Agreed. People seem to be high-fiving each other that the team made the playoffs in '2 of the last 3 years' when the combined record of those seasons is 25-23. Making the playoffs as a 6 seed means you were a top 12 team in a 28 team league. Just goes to show how far things have fallen.

It also shows how far the NFL has come since there were 28 teams (there are 32 now).

I actually agree with the point you made though, we should aim to win championships, not win 9 or 10 games and sneak in the playoffs as a wild card. I also believe that hiring Zorn (instead of sticking with the status quo of Williams) is an attempt to do that.

The people who I really feel bad for are the skins fans about 5 years younger than me who, at best, have very dim and distant memories of any success this franchise has had. That's the kind of thing that can erode the fan base of a franchise (except the Cubs for some reason).

This is what amazes me I think the fan base has such a large contingent that are so zealous for the the team that it won't happen that way. The fan base really is a tradition from family I think all NFC East/North teams are like that.

Are you kidding me???????????????????? Cut him some slack?????????? What?!?!?

Let's assume that you show up to work on your first day and you make a mistake...what happens? Your boss says, "Hey TD_WashingtonRedskins, you made a mistake, from now on do this instead." Now what would happen if you were still making those same mistakes in year 9 on the job? Hell, what would happen if you were making those same mistakes in year 2, 3 or 4? You'd lose the job. Sorry, but my patience for this team does not extend to Danny-boys on-the-job training year in and year out. I'm glad you have "faith" but I to see things called "results." And thus far, almost a decade in, we've seen nothing.

Sitting in the war room and meeting free agents doesn't mean your not picking free agents either. If you think Snyder has really removed himself from key decisions, you are completely naive. He hasn't and he never will. All we can hope is that he improves, and I've seen few signs of improvement. He has his sycophantic yes-man around, Cerrato, doing his bidding, and that's the way it is my friend.

What "mistakes" did he make in 1999 or 2000 that he's still making now?

Firing coaches quickly? No.

Chasing names haphazardly? No.

Charging money for training camp? No.

Neglecting the draft? No.

Just because some draft picks, coaching picks, and FA signings don't work, does not mean those decisions are reached with faulty logic.

As for his involvement, no one knows 100% for sure (despite how smug and condescending you've been in your past few posts). We can only take him at his word. He turned that role over to Gibbs and now Vinny. I don't see why he'd lie since he was pretty up-front about his involvement in the early years.

Just because some draft picks, coaching picks, and FA signings don't work, does not mean those decisions are reached with faulty logic.

As for his involvement, no one knows 100% for sure (despite how smug and condescending you've been in your past few posts). We can only take him at his word. He turned that role over to Gibbs and now Vinny. I don't see why he'd lie since he was pretty up-front about his involvement in the early years.

Don't bother. This thread is doomed to Epic Fail status, nothing more than a place for the usual whiners to piss and moan. Just look at the OP's signature:
THOSE THAT DO NOT LEARN FROM HISTORY ARE

DOOMED TO REPEAT IT, HAVE YOU LEARNED

ANYTHING FROM YOUR FAILURES VINNY, DANNY?

WE ARE ALL WAITING

Besides the super obnoxious all-caps font, he clearly has zero intention of actually debating the pros vs cons of Snyder, but has already made his mind up 100% and wants people to join his little crusade.

People really don't know how lucky we actually are to have an owner like Snyder. I'm sorry, didn't he lend his private plane to Todd Collins last season to go to the birth of his son during the middle of a practice week leading up to the playoffs? Didn't he and his wife fly with Renaldo Wynn to get treatment after he broke his arm in 2005? Didn't he schedule the giant plane to take the ENTIRE Redskins organization to Sean Taylor's memorial service? Wasn't it he and Jerry Jones who got together and helped fix the CBA mess before everything went to hell and the 2006 season almost didn't happen?

But no. People don't care. We could have the Yorks, or the Bidwells, or Tom Benson, or Ralph Wilson, or Al Davis, or William Ford...the list goes on for super crappy cheap owners who don't do one thing for their team or their fans unless it puts money in their pocket...

Before Dan, the face value of my tickets was in the $45 range for a mediocre team. At last check, the same tickets were over $100 for a mediocre team.

He has improved the team in one area...the bottom line.

Too bad we ain't all stockholders.

He got you 3 playoffs, a division title, a vastly improved stadium.

Inflations a B aint it?

At least he hasn't given you PSL's. :D

It's funny that the guy who said "you're a lawyer??" and then proceeded to insult my poise and writing is now going to call me smug and condescending. You should take a look at your own posts which are dripping with smugness and condescension before you take the holier-than-thou position.

On to the substance of your post,

Firing coaches quickly?

Well, we really hasn't given himself the chance since Spurrier quit on him. He was never going to fire Gibbs, so I think this question is TBD.

Chasing names haphazadly?

I respectfully (no smugness here) disagree. I though signing Jason Taylor and giving up a 2nd round pick AND a 6th round pick was haphazard and desperate. We should have given Evans a chance because if Taylor's performance against the Giants was any indication, he wasn't worth the 6th round pick. Adam Archeltta, Brandon Lloyd, those were chases we're not so far removed from...didn't we try to get Chad Johnson and give up our first round picks this year and next? Do you remember that? Thank God the Bengals are a more incompetent franchise than us. What about the Lance Briggs rumors from last year?

Charging money for training camp?

What about raising the prices on parking on gameday but removing the public transportation?

Neglecting the draft?

The one year we actually use our picks in the 9 years since he's owned the team. Let's see him do it twice, before I agree with you.

It's funny that the guy who said "you're a lawyer??" and then proceeded to insult my poise and writing is now going to call me smug and condescending. You should take a look at your own posts which are dripping with smugness and condescension before you take the holier-than-thou position.

On to the substance of your post,

Firing coaches quickly?

Well, we really hasn't given himself the chance since Spurrier quit on him. He was never going to fire Gibbs, so I think this question is TBD.

I respectfully (no smugness here) disagree. I though signing Jason Taylor and giving up a 2nd round pick AND a 6th round pick was haphazard and desperate. We should have given Evans a chance because if Taylor's performance against the Giants was any indication, he wasn't worth the 6th round pick. Adam Archeltta, Brandon Lloyd, those were chases we're not so far removed from...didn't we try to get Chad Johnson and give up our first round picks this year and next? Do you remember that? Thank God the Bengals are a more incompetent franchise than us. What about the Lance Briggs rumors from last year?

What about raising the prices on parking on gameday but removing the public transportation?

Neglecting the draft?

The one year we actually use our picks in the 9 years since he's owned the team. Let's see him do it twice, before I agree with you.

I'll hit the draft first since you're resorting to incorrect statements (regarding the draft) and rumors (Chad Johnson) to "prove" your point now...

Snyder has owned the team for 9 drafts, right? We've drafted 6 or more players 6 times (2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008) in those 9 years. I'd classify that as being rather draft-heavy considering 7 picks is the baseline for a "full" draft. So, your point of the Redskins using their picks once in 9 years was a bit exaggerated.

As for the parking, I'd put this in the same category as ticket prices. The NFL continues to get more popular and prices are going up EVERYWHERE. Inflation occurs over almost a decade...sorry.

I think I'll have to concede that 2006 (Lloyd, Archuleta, Randle-El, etc.) was not a great off-season. However, as opposed to 2000 (when we got George despite not having a need at QB for example), I think it was actually more reserved. We actually needed the players we brought in, they just didn't pan out. Also, have we done that other than in 2000 and 2006? Don't most teams go through the occasional cycles where they load up and make a run? Keep in mind, the only two times we did this was after our two trips to the divisional playoffs...thinking we were improving an already solid team. Granted, it didn't work, but still...it's not like we've spent 9 years chasing big names. That's a pretty played-out stereotype of Snyder. As for Ocho Cinco, that was a rumor that was never proven. Can you really imagine a team turning down two 1sts for anyone??

Finally, coaches. The fact is, since Marty, Snyder has basically allowed two sub-.500 coaches to stay as long as they wanted. He was going to give Spurrier another year at least. That's someone whose teams got worse almost consistently each and every game and he was sitting on a 12-20 record. Gibbs was Gibbs and he would never have been fired either. Still, he hasn't fired a coach since 2001, so that's not exactly something that should still come up as a negative for Snyder.

Firing coaches quickly?

He hasn't fired a coach since Marty. Do the math. Two years of Spurrier. Four years of Gibbs. Now entering the first year of Zorn. And he tried to get both Spurrier & Gibbs to stay on.

Honestly, I myself was in the minority of a 2nd & a 6th for Taylor. Personally I thought the 2nd was enough. But that was before it was known the entire NFC East went after Taylor when Daniels went down.

Arch & B.Lloyd were both guys the coaches wanted. Dan did his jb as an owner to get the coaches the players they wanted.

At the time, we needed a player at WR like Johnson. Cinci wouldn't deal him, so we drafted 3 pass catchers to help our stagnant WR corps. For shame to have an owner try to get a proven player at a skill position to help his team win.

That's not on Dan. That's on the government.

He got you 3 playoffs, a division title, a vastly improved stadium.

Inflations a B aint it?

At least he hasn't given you PSL's. :D

3 playoffs? He had zero say in the first one. The team was built. So, 2 playoffs. One win. Yay Dan.

Vastly improved stadium? How? Escalators to the top? More advertising? More crowded? Nah, doesn't excite me. I've already canceled my tickets. No true value in them.

And don't worry, when he decides to move to a new stadium PSLs will come.

I'll hit the draft first since you're resorting to incorrect statements (regarding the draft) and rumors (Chad Johnson) to "prove" your point now...

Snyder has owned the team for 9 drafts, right? We've drafted 6 or more players 6 times (2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008) in those 9 years. I'd classify that as being rather draft-heavy considering 7 picks is the baseline for a "full" draft. So, your point of the Redskins using their picks once in 9 years was a bit exaggerated.

This is a bit disingenuous isn't it? You're right we've had 6 or more picks 6 times, but how many picks have been in rounds 1-4 as opposed to to rounds 5-7? We've traded away a ton of our picks that generally yield the greatest value--2, 3 and 4th rounders. And we've accumulated picks in the later rounds. So, it's not entirely what I think people have in mind when they talk about a "full draft", which in my mind is one pick in every round.

In the years you referenced:

2000: no second round pick but two first rounders, so scratch, a full draft.

2002: again a full draft, no 4th rounders but two third rounders

2003: 3 picks, including no 1st rounder.

2004: 4 picks including no 2nd, 4th and 7th.

2005: Two first rounders, no 2nd or 3rd rounder

2006: No 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick.

2007: No 2nd, 3rd, or 4th pick.

2008: 10 picks, biggest draft we've had.

That is NOT building through the draft.

As for the parking, I'd put this in the same category as ticket prices. The NFL continues to get more popular and prices are going up EVERYWHERE. Inflation occurs over almost a decade...sorry.

OK, fair enough on this point.

I think I'll have to concede that 2006 (Lloyd, Archuleta, Randle-El, etc.) was not a great off-season. However, as opposed to 2000 (when we got George despite not having a need at QB for example), I think it was actually more reserved. We actually needed the players we brought in, they just didn't pan out. Also, have we done that other than in 2000 and 2006? Don't most teams go through the occasional cycles where they load up and make a run? Keep in mind, the only two times we did this was after our two trips to the divisional playoffs...thinking we were improving an already solid team. Granted, it didn't work, but still...it's not like we've spent 9 years chasing big names. That's a pretty played-out stereotype of Snyder. As for Ocho Cinco, that was a rumor that was never proven. Can you really imagine a team turning down two 1sts for anyone??

If there's one team that I could imagine turning down two 1sts it's the Bengals. We loaded up on talent, and don't forget the 3rd rounder for Duckett, with absolutely no regard for continuity, etc. And the fact that we did it in 2000 and then again in 2006, scared me.

Finally, coaches. The fact is, since Marty, Snyder has basically allowed two sub-.500 coaches to stay as long as they wanted. He was going to give Spurrier another year at least. That's someone whose teams got worse almost consistently each and every game and he was sitting on a 12-20 record. Gibbs was Gibbs and he would never have been fired either. Still, he hasn't fired a coach since 2001, so that's not exactly something that should still come up as a negative for Snyder.

We don't know whether he was going to give Spurrier another year, do we? Spurrier was also an ego driven hire. He wanted to bring in a college coach who people said would never transition to the NFL and prove them wrong, so firing Spurrier would have made Snyder look like the fool...it happened anyway, but Spurrier resigning allowed Snyder to save some face.

He hasn't fired a coach since Marty. Do the math. Two years of Spurrier. Four years of Gibbs. Now entering the first year of Zorn. And he tried to get both Spurrier & Gibbs to stay on.

Honestly, I myself was in the minority of a 2nd & a 6th for Taylor. Personally I thought the 2nd was enough. But that was before it was known the entire NFC East went after Taylor when Daniels went down.

Arch & B.Lloyd were both guys the coaches wanted. Dan did his jb as an owner to get the coaches the players they wanted.

At the time, we needed a player at WR like Johnson. Cinci wouldn't deal him, so we drafted 3 pass catchers to help our stagnant WR corps. For shame to have an owner try to get a proven player at a skill position to help his team win.

That's not on Dan. That's on the government.

We have a fundamental disagreement then about the owner's job. I think the owner's job is to sign the checks....that's it! There should be an intermediary between the coaches and the owner, like a GM, to evaluate decisions from a football perspective to see whether they make sense long term, etc. Now, maybe that was done, we can't know, but it doesn't seem like it was.

We definitely don't need a player like Johnson, we need a lot of things, but receiver is near the bottom of the list...look at philly and denver. You need to have the O-line, QB, in place before you starting betting the farm on WRs.

I think the Raiders, Lions, Cards and Bengals are still a step below us, but we are sinking fast. I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here, because it seems more relevant.

Because Snyder has no long-term plan for building this franchise, we will be going nowhere fast for a long, long time. He has the worst possible view one can have when building a team. He has been quoted as saying that his goal every year is to win a SB trophy. When you have an absurd goal, a completely unpractical goal, how can you expect anything other than the results we've witnessed?

Snyder actually believed that we could bring in a new head coach, with absolutely no head coaching experience, a new offensive system and put a QB who's seen nothing but inconsistency since day one here...he thought you could take all that, add a dash of six flags magic and a little Johnny Rockets special sauce and voila we'd win a division with the current SB champions and three franchise QBs and a team that went 13-3 last year and deep into the playoffs.

The whole thing is so upsurd that it's kind of funny. People want to blame Campbell and the O-line and the defense, and the coaches, and the ball and the play-calling...the blame for this disaster of a franchise rests at the feet of Snyder who inherited a proud franchise and has refused to hire competent football people to make football decisions.

I'm a lawyer, does that mean that if I were to become a billionare I would know the first thing about owning a football team? Does that mean that if I had all the money in the world, I could go out and buy a hospital, make myself the chief of surgery and decide when to operate? What Snyder has done is really no less absurd.

I am tired of losing also but to blame everything on Snyder is the easiest thing to do. Yes he has made a lot of money with very little results but you can see his passion for this franchise. He has made mistakes early in his ownership but has changed a lot since then. And what is the expectations of the fans in DC? The same as Snyder and that is to win the Division and win the Super Bowl. So what are your expectations for the team. Go 6-10, Draft some players that may help your team, and hope that everyone that you draft is a Pro Bowler. Well wake up and smell the roses. Pro Bowlers are hard to find in the Draft. Dallas had 13 Pro Bowlers last year but only 8 were legitimate. the others went because of an injury or because someone else declined to accept the invite due to an injury to the vote in Pro Bowler.

We have good players on this team but they poorly execute the plays and are out of position. Arm tackles and over pursuit of plays makes any team look good. The players on this team need a wake up call. Bench players for consistant bad play. Put in someone who wants to play. Make them accountable for their bad play. Light a fire under their ***and make them earn their playing time. False starts, Pass interference, holding, and other penalties are a common occurrance on this team the last 5 years. So this is Snyders fault. The real problem with all this is that it is easy to blame Snyder because he doesn't do what you want him to do. Try being a first time owner and do a better job. What makes you or anyone else think they can do a better job? Are you some magnificant miracle worker that has a golden touch? I don't think so. If you did then you would have been the owner of this proud franchise and had a winning Super Bowl Championship team but you aren't. Owners don't win games it is the players.

We don't know whether he was going to give Spurrier another year, do we? Spurrier was also an ego driven hire. He wanted to bring in a college coach who people said would never transition to the NFL and prove them wrong, so firing Spurrier would have made Snyder look like the fool...it happened anyway, but Spurrier resigning allowed Snyder to save some face.

This is an exaggeration. There were actually several league execs and scouts at the time, including Ron Wolf, who were behind the hire of Steve Spurrier and believed he would do a good job in the NFL. And many of the pundits at the time were divided in the issue. Actually, Wolf was interested in Spurrier as head coach for the Packers if memory serves. Spurrier turned him down.

This is an exaggeration. There were actually several league execs and scouts at the time, including Ron Wolf, who were behind the hire of Steve Spurrier and believed he would do a good job in the NFL. And many of the pundits at the time were divided in the issue. Actually, Wolf was interested in Spurrier as head coach for the Packers if memory serves. Spurrier turned him down.

That may be true--but it was the minority, correct?

Coming off a 10-6 season and making the playoffs in 1999, the Redskins were 7-6 the next year. Very disappointing, but the season wasn't over yet... A three game winning streak was not unthinkable. Boom, Norv Turner's fired.

In 2001, after starting 0-5, and finishing 8-8... Boom, Marty is fired.

Coming off a 10-6 season in 2005 and making the playoffs, the Redskins decide to abandon what got them to the playoffs and hire Al Saunders for 2006. Then it's the same old tired excuse of, "The system needs time."

Two years later, after making the playoffs on a 9-7 record in 2007 with Todd Collins demonstrating how to manage Saunders system, the Redskins decide to wipe the slate clean again by letting Gregg Williams and Al Saunders go.

Seriously, how many other teams have such a disturbing pattern of making sweeping changes after a team improves, including WINNING and making the playoffs?

I'm not talking about an instance (like Chargers replacing Marty), I'm talking about a pattern.

Richie Rich gave birth to the present MESS IN 1999 when he bought our beloved franchise and since turned it into one of the biggest money making machines in sports history (congratulations). He has had 9 long years to make us a WINNER and what do we have to show for it a record of 70 Wins and 78 Loses. A record of losing, revolving door of coaches, washed up players in and out, and the JOKE of the NFL. For crying out loud even New Orleans, New Orleans!! WAKE UP PEOPLE even New Orleans laughs at us. Even our great Hall of Fame coach could not get this going (HE busted his tail and willed us into playoffs twice, his best coaching job of his HOF career) 9 years of the same old thing, call me what u will but there are fans out here who are sick and tired , MAD AS HELL. On the other hand there are fans who are eternal optimists, I wish I was one unfortunately, I am a MAD AS HELL REALIST who sees success only when Snyder SELLS

:applause: You are dead on. Gibbs did will us into those two playoff runs. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener...

Before Dan, the face value of my tickets was in the $45 range for a mediocre team. At last check, the same tickets were over $100 for a mediocre team.

Let's see,

A gallon of regular gas in May '99 was in the range of $1.20, now it's around $3.60.

House was about $132,000 now about $300,700

Average Income was about $ 41,000 it’s now roughly $68,000

Car was in the range of $21,500 and now it’s around $28,700

Stamp 33 cents now 42 cents

Dayum, Snyder must have his mitts on everything.

Anyways, folks have said "Be patient." I've BEEN patient. But the fact is, we are all going to have to continue being patient because we simply don't have any choice.

Actually you do have a choice, y'all have 31 other choices.

Hey if you dont have 30 more years to be patient, or you practice law in NYC, or you love sammiches, there are 31 other teams out there that would love to have your enthusiasm and team spirit.

Dan Snyder owns the Redskins, he has gone on record as saying he made some early mistakes and wasnt patient. He has also said he loves the Redskins and I think he backs it up with his wallet.

If he wants to meet potential draft choices, if he wants to sit in the war room, and if he wants to have some voice in personel decissions, then that is his right as the owner. Personally, I think its great that an owner wants to be involved in his team. To me that means he's thinking more of the team, and less on just making money.

Coming off a 10-6 season and making the playoffs in 1999, the Redskins were 7-6 the next year. Very disappointing, but the season wasn't over yet... A three game winning streak was not unthinkable. Boom, Norv Turner's fired.

In 2001, after starting 0-5, and finishing 8-8... Boom, Marty is fired.

Coming off a 10-6 season in 2005 and making the playoffs, the Redskins decide to abandon what got them to the playoffs and hire Al Saunders for 2006. Then it's the same old tired excuse of, "The system needs time."

Two years later, after making the playoffs on a 9-7 record in 2007 with Todd Collins demonstrating how to manage Saunders system, the Redskins decide to wipe the slate clean again by letting Gregg Williams and Al Saunders go.

Seriously, how many other teams have such a disturbing pattern of making sweeping changes after a team improves, including WINNING and making the playoffs?

I'm not talking about an instance (like Chargers replacing Marty), I'm talking about a pattern.

Well said. This is the exact same idea I mentioned in another thread. Anytime we have an OUNCE of success, Snyderrato change the whole system/coaching staff completely. You don't succeed in the NFL this way.

I thought Snyder would learn after the first 3 times of doing this crap :doh:

I think the Raiders, Lions, Cards and Bengals are still a step below us, but we are sinking fast. I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here, because it seems more relevant.

Because Snyder has no long-term plan for building this franchise, we will be going nowhere fast for a long, long time. He has the worst possible view one can have when building a team. He has been quoted as saying that his goal every year is to win a SB trophy. When you have an absurd goal, a completely unpractical goal, how can you expect anything other than the results we've witnessed?

Snyder actually believed that we could bring in a new head coach, with absolutely no head coaching experience, a new offensive system and put a QB who's seen nothing but inconsistency since day one here...he thought you could take all that, add a dash of six flags magic and a little Johnny Rockets special sauce and voila we'd win a division with the current SB champions and three franchise QBs and a team that went 13-3 last year and deep into the playoffs.

The whole thing is so upsurd that it's kind of funny. People want to blame Campbell and the O-line and the defense, and the coaches, and the ball and the play-calling...the blame for this disaster of a franchise rests at the feet of Snyder who inherited a proud franchise and has refused to hire competent football people to make football decisions.

I'm a lawyer, does that mean that if I were to become a billionare I would know the first thing about owning a football team? Does that mean that if I had all the money in the world, I could go out and buy a hospital, make myself the chief of surgery and decide when to operate? What Snyder has done is really no less absurd.

The best reply to my original post THANK YOU, :applause::notworthy

Archived