Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn's ATTITUDE is the problem

skinsfan4221977

You know, for all the whining in the media and on this board of how the Skins are going to go 1-15 and we were horrible, Jim Zorn's attitude seems to be the biggest problem.

Face it: The defense played well the majority of the game and their Red Zone play was SUPERB. The only problem was our secondary dropping way too many interceptions. In fact, the way I see it, we were ONE "sticky fingers" play away from winning the game AGAINST THE SUPER BOWL CHAMPS! If we intercepted that ball in the end zone, that cuts the margin because they don't kick a FG. Or if we convert just ONE INT, we can WIN with a FG. Plus it shifts the momentum sooner. ONE PLAY!! We will get better. Corners and safeties should work on the hands.

As for the receivers, why the hell was James Thrash matched up against that dwarf cornerback at the end? Why not Moss or Randle El?

But I digress. I don't like Zorn's attitude. He told the Post he was "in control" of the clock. To me, this signifies a lack of personal responsibility or at least an open mind. To me, he also didn't try hard enough to win (what's with Portis running with less than 2 mins. left?)

Finally, considering how we DID show progress and our D was solid for more than a half... I REALLY didn't like his "I don't know if the glass has any water in it" comment. That's NO way to motivate players who desperately need it.

To me, Zorn just doesn't recognize how great the team CAN potentially be. He's not hard enough on himself when he needs to be and he's TOO hard on others when he DOESN'T need to be.

He needs to grow up... FAST.

No, the D played like crap the entire first half and they were good in the second. The O was played like crap pretty much the whole game. Run your routes to the first down. How hard is that. 3rd and five and 3rd and three should never be 4th and 1 and Fourth and 2 and a half through the air!

No, the D played like crap the entire first half and they were good in the second. The O was played like crap pretty much the whole game. Run your routes to the first down. How hard is that. 3rd and five and 3rd and three should never be 4th and 1 and Fourth and 2 and a half through the air!

Time to show the recievers lots and lots of film of Art Monk and say, "That is how you do it!"

If we get an end zone interception, thus saving a field goal, that cuts it to 13-7. Then if we convert one interception into a field goal of our own...

Either I misunderstood your logic, or we still lose the game 13-10.

Well, discounting the momentum factor, that means in the last drive, ALL we need is a FG. Which would tie. And we're not heaving desperation passes -- we're focused on yards.

More importantly, I think at least one of those potential INTs could have been a TD or at least got us in the Red Zone.

You know, for all the whining in the media and on this board of how the Skins are going to go 1-15 and we were horrible, Jim Zorn's attitude seems to be the biggest problem.

Face it: The defense played well the majority of the game and their Red Zone play was SUPERB. The only problem was our secondary dropping way too many interceptions. In fact, the way I see it, we were ONE "sticky fingers" play away from winning the game AGAINST THE SUPER BOWL CHAMPS! If we intercepted that ball in the end zone, that cuts the margin because they don't kick a FG. Or if we convert just ONE INT, we can WIN with a FG. Plus it shifts the momentum sooner. ONE PLAY!! We will get better. Corners and safeties should work on the hands.

As for the receivers, why the hell was James Thrash matched up against that dwarf cornerback at the end? Why not Moss or Randle El?

But I digress. I don't like Zorn's attitude. He told the Post he was "in control" of the clock. To me, this signifies a lack of personal responsibility or at least an open mind. To me, he also didn't try hard enough to win (what's with Portis running with less than 2 mins. left?)

Finally, considering how we DID show progress and our D was solid for more than a half... I REALLY didn't like his "I don't know if the glass has any water in it" comment. That's NO way to motivate players who desperately need it.

To me, Zorn just doesn't recognize how great the team CAN potentially be. He's not hard enough on himself when he needs to be and he's TOO hard on others when he DOESN'T need to be.

He needs to grow up... FAST.

I wouldn't say that the defense played superb, but they played well enough to win. You're right about the interception in the endzone. And let me take that one step further. If that pass interference call against Smoot isn't made (it was totally bogus), then presumably the Giants kick a field goal. All other things being equal, the score is then 9-7 in the fourth quarter. With all of the problems that the offense had in those last couple of drives, they did get into field goal range. So if the score's 9-7, the Redskins have a great chance to win the game.

i missed the part where you talked about the part of zorns attitude that upsets you.

1. His statement that he was "in control" of the clock.

2. His "I don't know if the glass has any water in it" comment.

3. Oh yeah, his "aw shucks" demeanor: "Sorry guys, I'll try to have a better game for you next time." Inappropriate.

3. Oh yeah, his "aw shucks" demeanor: "Sorry guys, I'll try to have a better game for you next time." Inappropriate.

I missed him saying #3 and I agree that it seems inappropriate. You can't let the frustration get to you even though you just laid an egg in your debut. Somewhere between Joe Gibbs and Zorn is the compromise.

As far as his control of the clock, I agree he should play it this way even if he was not. If his players think that he was not in control, even if their own minds they observed it, he can never admit that. A head coach can and should take blame but should never exude a lack of confidence.

got it

Well, that's good news.

If we can get the man to change his attitude on those 3 points, then: on to the Championship!

If it were only that easy...

This looks like a learning curve type season... For Zorn and the team.

Don't know if JC can get there... he started out looking great in preseason and has regressed horribly... Zorn must get better play out of him.

Maybe we need an O coordinator that will call the plays

I don't know what people expect out of Zorn, but 'skins fans are going to have to be patient......again. I mean we're going on 17 years of being "patient" so I don't knwo why one more year is going to make a difference.

Keep in mind that Zorn is learning on the job and unfortunately it's going to be at the expense of our win-loss record. It's going to be a long year guys so prepare yourself now.

his clock management at the end of the first half. i understood it, even though madden was saying how it didnt make sense. we got the TD with only a few seconds left, which is what i was expecting after seeing the plays that were called.

his clock management at the end of the game. not sure if thats on zorn or on JC. i can see the use of runs if you have the defense thinking pass and you can pick up a chunk on the ground, but that really only makes sense if you have time outs left, or you can get to the sideline, which neither were realistic for us. and not sure why we had thrash on the midget CB at the goalline jump ball. hes only got an inch or two on moss and ARE. plus it was a go route, so why not throw thomas in there?

Come on people you can't have it both ways. I mean if the team played like some crap and the coach pointed it out then what else is the man supposed to to?? The players know they didn't play well, it's not like he's letting a big secret out of the bag. We saw the game. These are grown men getting paid millions of dollars, if they can't take some criticism from their own COACH then they are in the wrong place!!!

Keep in mind that Zorn is learning on the job and unfortunately it's going to be at the expense of our win-loss record. It's going to be a long year guys so prepare yourself now.

Exactly.

I will probably catch a lot of crap for saying this but I'm going to do it anyway. Last year we were pissed because Gibbs had such a passive way of handling the team, losses and the media. He was a 'it's a team effort' guy and rarely ever pointed fingers, called anyone out or placed blame on individual players.

Now in 2008 training camp, Zorn had no issues pointing fingers, calling folks out and saying that people should have been in better condition. ES was all about Zorn pointing the fingers and placing a bit of blame on players. Everyone seemed so happy to see/hear players being held accountable for their actions.

Now we're not happy again with his attitude??? Do folks not realize that this is Zorn's first season as a HC? The man came out in his presser last night and admitted that he's not used to sitting in a room talking to dozens of media folks about the ups and downs of a game. And lets face it - the odds were stacked against us last night:

1. New head coach.

2. New West Coast style of offense.

3. Playing the Super Bowl Champs.

4. Playing the Super Bowl Champs in THEIR house.

5. Opening the season with a new head coach and a new offense against the Super Bowl Champs in THEIR house.

Im sorry I disagree. I dont think the end of the first half was poor clock management. he didnt want the Giants to get the ball back w/ 1 minute and change left especially since Plax was killing us. It made sense to me, and seeing as tho they got the td I dont see what the big deal is. Nobody criticized Eli's horribly overthrown pass to David Tyree in the SB b/c it worked. So i guess that leaves you to wonder would you rather have poor clock management (Zorn) or poor timeout management (Gibbs)?

So how is it Zs fault Jason takes 15s to spike a ball to kill the clock. You mean after 4yrs, he has never once run a hurry-up O? Wow, I guess Z is the problem around a football team of 40+ veterans.

They were not running a hurry up offense and that was the problem. In the last portion of the 4th quarter the Skins should have been running a no huddle offense. Instead being down by two scores, the Skins were huddling. Even Madden tried to take up for Zorn but that was unexcuseable. I thought that was the purpose of OTA's and the other off season training. Zorn is a rookie coach that has never been an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator for that matter. Zorn really needs to bring in an assistant that has this experience to help Zorn along.

Archived