Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is This The End for Todd Wade?

bulldog

Me too. If you watch Zorns interview from the 27th, he is asked about Wade and didn't seem too hopeful. I can't read Zorn very well yet, but he seemed to dismiss Wade at first, then tempered his tone a little.

Yeah I saw that, but what confuses me is that he said, "....a minimum on nine guys are going to make the O line roster." So, I don't know if he's made his mind up yet. Part of me thinks we should hold on to Wade, and part of me doesn't. When in doubt, keep the guy I guess. I'd keep Mason as our 5th Back (including Sellers) if I had to choose between he or Wade though. That kid is something special for the future. That's what I don't want to see happen. I don't want us to chop a guy that is young and talented for an backup old lineman just for security's sake. F' that! Start pushin' the old dudes (at least by football standards ;) ) out the do'. :2cents:

I personally would like to see a youth movement here on the OL... We know the starting 5, although I'd argue that Jansen would have it tough to beat out a serious open competition for RT position versus Rinehart OR Heyer either one. But having said that just shows the depth we have at the T position. Heyer and Rinehart both have shown they can play there. So I think that should definitely eliminate Wade. Given the upside and abilities BOTH Crummey and Geisenger have shown as well, I think that also means we could dump Fabini as well. But Fabini is far more valuable to us than Wade regardless of contract situations. He can play both T & G.... But I'd like to see us stay with these 4 kept on the 9 OL depth --> Heyer, Rinehart, Crummey and Geisenger... There you have it young depth to work with, and provide Jansen a Long-Term replacement when and if he does go down or prove costly this season.

You pretty much echoed my sentiments.

Samuels - Unless he gets a fluke injury is probably good for the season

Kendall - Has 1 year left and knee issues hence why Rinehart is ensured to be here.

Rabach - Rabach has always been solid

Thomas - Weird injury last year, hence why we need Fabini if You ask me, he was much better at Guard then Tackle.

Jansen - As much as I think Jansen is washed up, you have to give him at least a year to prove he still has it so in my mind I agree.

Samuels

Kendall

rabach

Thomas

Jansen

Heyer - Backup tackle

Fabini - First Backup Guard, due to experience, possibly 2nd at Tackle

Rhinehart - Second Backup guard (maybe first, and may beat Kendall out at some piont)

that's 8 spots right there. So if you assume they keep at least 9 OL who else would you keep?

I'm not sure if Rhinehart can play Samuel's position in a pinch or not as I've not been blessed to see many of the preseason games. Wade isn't a bad backup, but I think he is overpaid for the production and injury situation. I really would rather drop him and keep eithering Geisinger or Crummey.

I'm not a huge Fabini Fan, but his experience in that Colts game reminded me how important veteran backups are, and Fabini has plenty of experience.

Keep Crummey and Geisinger and cut Wade and Fabini. Out with the old in with the new

While I agree with the sentiment it would be a very brave/risky move to go with 4 backups with so little starting experience.

I would think that Wade is as good as gone but Fabini will stick along with Heyer and Reinhart. That, for me, leaves Crummey and Geisinger battling for one spot.

Crummey might have the edge given he can play both guard and centre where Geisinger is strictly a centre.

Thinking ahead i would not be surprised if by the end of the year our starting line is

Samuels, Reinhart, Rabach, Thomas, Heyer. And not through injury.

I'm not happy with McMullin and/or Thrash ... perhaps a WR. I also think Skins would benefit from having a "big" plunging back a la "George Rogers" or the like.

Re the WR most we keep is 6 and Moss ARE, Thomas and Kelly are locks. Thrash is as well not least for his special teams ability. If we keep 6 which is a possibility given the time Kelly has missed in particular, and the coaches are not happy with Mix or McMullen then a vet WR is a possibility. Personally I would be really surprised if one came available who was better than Mix or McMullen.

Re the Big back - no chance. Sellers is our big back and in the Zorn system smaller backs like CP are what he needs who can slash and cut back and also ctach the ball in space.

Keep Crummey and Geisinger and cut Wade and Fabini. Out with the old in with the new

You can't cut ALL your veteran depth.

You have to keep somebody around that can come in and knows what to do.

It wouldn't be smart to keep a bunch of 22/23 year olds with not a lot of playing experience and are still learning as your depth.

Heyer would be the most prepared of them, and even he isn't totally ready.

However, if the Redskins do decide to cut a veteran OL, it will probably be Wade.

He's been hurt pretty much all of training camp and preseason (very slooooooooow to recover from this injury), and hasn't played any.

While Fabini has been healthy and playing.

our depth is terrible when we are trying to figure out if we should cut wade, fabini, or geisinger

Really disagree with you on that. With Heyer and Reinhart we have two guys who provide excellent depth at tackle and tackle and guard in Rienharts case.

Add in Fabini who started almost all last year and was playing well by the end at guard and we are a LOT better of than many teams in the depth stakes.

Centre is a bit of a worry.

Yeah I saw that, but what confuses me is that he said, "....a minimum on nine guys are going to make the O line roster." So, I don't know if he's made his mind up yet. Part of me thinks we should hold on to Wade, and part of me doesn't. When in doubt, keep the guy I guess. I'd keep Mason as our 5th Back (including Sellers) if I had to choose between he or Wade though. That kid is something special for the future. That's what I don't want to see happen. I don't want us to chop a guy that is young and talented for an backup old lineman just for security's sake. F' that! Start pushin' the old dudes (at least by football standards ;) ) out the do'. :2cents:
If it turns out to be Wade vs Mason for a roster spot, that would be a tough call. Mason has far more potential, but Wade is somewhat proven and our OL need is far greater IMO. I would probably go with Wade in that situation, or maybe flip a coin.

Archived