Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is This The End for Todd Wade?

bulldog

The Redskins are likely to keep 9 linemen.

Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas and Jansen are the starters.

Rinehart is a current #3 pick and can play both guard and tackle.

Heyer is 24 and has started down the stretch in December and in a playoff game.

Jason Fabini at 34 is another guy that can play two positions and seems to have settled in at guard as a backup off the bench. Plus he has remained durable despite being part of the over 30 club.

That leaves one spot.

There is no natural center behind Rabach.

Geisinger, 6'2 and 317 came to the Redskins as a OG/OT but has been working specifically as a center in training camp and the preseason with some reps at OG. Jansen has offered to take the extra reps as the backup center but at 6'6 and 300 and 10 years removed from playing the position, that doesn't seem feasible.

So, the question is does the team keep Geisinger who is now the backup center and can play guard in an emergency OR does the team keep the 32 year old Todd Wade at a position where there are 2 or 3 other options off the bench?

Wade hasn't played, he has been another guy that has been dinged in camp and the preseason.

Given how the injury bug has hit several of the starters over time, you would have to think that durability comes into play for the backup spots.

Remember that Wade also got injured in his first or second game starting last year.

In answer to the other point about the practice squad, I think Geisinger has used up his eligibility.

I think Wade is done with us. His play is no better the Heyers, and Heyer has his entire career ahead of him.

But there's another aspect that has to looked at........ Will Jansen make it through the season, and if not leaving us thinner if we do release Todd.

It's a huge gamble in my book. Jansen is the biggest question mark on the O line, and I view him as some what fragile.

I dont think Rabach has missed a game since Baltimore. We were also trying Jansen at center earlier in camp for depth purposes. That leaves me thinking we keep Wade in case Rabach goes down we can keep Jansen and Heyer in the lineup. I don't know how well that experiment in camp went though.

I personally would like to see a youth movement here on the OL... We know the starting 5, although I'd argue that Jansen would have it tough to beat out a serious open competition for RT position versus Rinehart OR Heyer either one. But having said that just shows the depth we have at the T position. Heyer and Rinehart both have shown they can play there. So I think that should definitely eliminate Wade. Given the upside and abilities BOTH Crummey and Geisenger have shown as well, I think that also means we could dump Fabini as well. But Fabini is far more valuable to us than Wade regardless of contract situations. He can play both T & G.... But I'd like to see us stay with these 4 kept on the 9 OL depth --> Heyer, Rinehart, Crummey and Geisenger... There you have it young depth to work with, and provide Jansen a Long-Term replacement when and if he does go down or prove costly this season.

I personally would like to see a youth movement here on the OL... We know the starting 5, although I'd argue that Jansen would have it tough to beat out a serious open competition for RT position versus Rinehart OR Heyer either one. But having said that just shows the depth we have at the T position. Heyer and Rinehart both have shown they can play there. So I think that should definitely eliminate Wade. Given the upside and abilities BOTH Crummey and Geisenger have shown as well, I think that also means we could dump Fabini as well. But Fabini is far more valuable to us than Wade regardless of contract situations. He can play both T & G.... But I'd like to see us stay with these 4 kept on the 9 OL depth --> Heyer, Rinehart, Crummey and Geisenger... There you have it young depth to work with, and provide Jansen a Long-Term replacement when and if he does go down or prove costly this season.

i agree completely...we need to get younger at the line and keeping the 4 young guys will be more valuable since we can see if they can be the long term replacement for the current starters

Which OL have been really impressive? The only names even brought up are Crummey and Geisenger. If anyone can honestly say they've looked lights out in preseason, then yes I'd say Wade is in danger.

And I noticed somebody said Jansen was fragile? Dude's only missed 2 seasons, the most recent injury could have happened to anybody, it certainly wasn't wear and tear. But you're right guys, we should just axe Jansen too and stick some random young guy in there, that will certainly yield positive results because the plan sounds so good. Don't discount exoerience. It's the reason why the elite OL in the NFL are all over 30.

I think Wade is done with us. His play is no better the Heyers, and Heyer has his entire career ahead of him.

But there's another aspect that has to looked at........ Will Jansen make it through the season, and if not leaving us thinner if we do release Todd.

It's a huge gamble in my book. Jansen is the biggest question mark on the O line, and I view him as some what fragile.

I agree with both points, but I still don't think we need to keep Wade b/c Heyer is as good, and Rinehart can step in in a pinch IMO. So, I think Wade should

go especially b/c he's nicked up and that leaves a roster spot for LB depth or a Mason spot :)

Archived