Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carter In, Emmitt Out On Sunday NFL Countdown

Inquisitor

It’s official. Emmitt Smith will not be part of ESPN’s two-hour pregame show, NFL Countdown, in 2008. ESPN is expected to make the formal announcement soon.

Emmitt will be replaced by Cris Carter, whose enhanced visibility could help his chances of getting into the Hall of Fame on the second try. (Then again, if Carter does a bad job or comes off as a blowhard, it could hurt him.)

Emmitt will remain on Monday Night Countdown, and he’ll have a role on the Sunday morning pre-Countdown version of SportsCenter.

The Sunday NFL Countdown lineup will consist of Chris Berman, Mike Ditka, Carter, Tom Jackson, Keyshawn Johnson, and Chris Mortensen.

Monday nights from Bristol also will feature Berman, Ditka, Carter, Jackson, Johnson, and Mortensen. Stationed at the game sites will be Stuart Scott, Smith, and Steve Young.

Also, it appears that Suzy Kolber and Michele Tafoya, who reportedly have been nudged out of the MNF broadcast (or, at a minimum, given minimal roles) will be reporting extensively for ESPN during pre-game and post-game coverage. This could mean reduced presence and/or involvement at the game locations of folks like Rachel Nichols, Sal Paolantonio, and Ed Werder.

UPDATE: Newcomer Trent Dilfer is expected to be a contributor to Monday Night Countdown, and to become a fixture on shows like NFL Live.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/29/carter-in-emmitt-out-on-sunday-nfl-countdown/

This is just terrible news, Smith was a comedy goldmine, Carter is just another arrogant schmuck. I'm going to miss you Emmitt.

Thank God. E Smith is not well spoken, cannot seem to get his cameras right and in general seems awkward whenever he is called upon to provide insight. Some former athletes can make the transition to broadcasting and some just can't. Chris Carter falls into the former category. He is erudite, comfortable and telegenic, though like all analysts he brings little to the table but regurgitated fluff that one or more of his co-analysts have already spewed. For that reason I pay little or no attention to the pre-games for the most part. It's only in Emmitt's or another like Eric Dickerson's case that I actually have an opinion. I genuinely feel bad listening to them try to speak their minds behind a desk. It's embarassing.

I like Emmitt but he was/is not cut out for TV at this point in his life. Johnson can go with him, if you ask me. In fact, I say dump Emmitt and Keyshawn, forget Carter and bring back Sharpe. The show has done nothing but go downhill since they started playing musical chairs with Sterling's position.

Emmit was the ****. Nothing was better than him on Monday Night Football.

This gem after the Eagles game in week two

Stu- Emmit, describe the Redskins play tonight in one word.

Emmit- (Rambles for at least 9 words) then says poise.

The rest of the time, Stuart Scott would do the highlights, & Emmit would yell....

POIIIIIISSSSSSSEEEEEEE

I totally have to see if that's still on the back end of the DVR of the Eagles game.

Now if they would just fire Berman, I might watch espn again. Until then, I couldn't care less about that network.

edit; spelling

what the... boomer is the man.

chris carter is totally arrogant and a miserable analyst. someone post the video of how he ****ed and moaned about not being a first ballot HOFer because Art got in. Keyshawn is bad too. None of these guys really ever go out on a limb at all.

I gotta agree with whoever suggested that sterling sharpe should come back.

Emmit was the ****. Nothing was better than him on Monday Night Football.

This gem after the Eagles game in week two

Stu- Emmit, describe the Redskins play tonight in one word.

Emmit- (Rambles for at least 9 words) then says poise.

The rest of the time, Stuart Scott would do the highlights, & Emmit would yell....

POIIIIIISSSSSSSEEEEEEE

I totally have to see if that's still on the back end of the DVR of the Eagles game.

:rotflmao:

Dude, I remember that too! HAHAHA! Jim McKay passed away (sadly), got put in the ground, and then started turning over after the fact on that one...

POISE!!

:rotflmao:

Archived