Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Metal Band of All-Time

skinsfan07

The best metal band is Priest. They were really the first with a twin lead guitar attack. No one sings like Halford. I have seen Maiden, Sabbath, Priest, and many other bands live and Priest always has the best sound bar none. Priest influenced almost all of the NWOBHM and is still going strong after many of the bands they influenced had withered away. Sabbath, while being the first, have had many ups and downs in their career. With this in mind, I cannot put them at number 1. Everything after the Ozzy/Dio incarnations has been pretty uninspiring. Maiden, has had better success with their albums, but, Blaze Bailey just didn't cut it. Priest, on the other hand, with Tim Owens was good. The 2 albums with him were pretty good and Ripper filled in admirably for Halford. Jugulator was a bit of a let down, as it was not really the Priest "sound" and many fans did not care for it. Demolition was a very good album and returned to more of the Priest "sound".

Therefore I would have to say:

1. Judas Priest

2. Iron Maiden

3. Black Sabbath

early 70's Sabs has to be in there. As for Maiden etc I always thought the 'missing link' that lead to bands like Maiden was this album (Blacmore/Rainbow/Purple are always referenced by Bruce Dickinson) - at least for UK based bands:

giclee-rainbow-rising.jpg

tracks like Stargazer and Light in the Black are awesome (dig up versions on YouTube if you have never heard them). A Ritchie, those were the days :(

ritchie_on_fire.jpg

Dream Theater are fantastic musicans. The sad thing is that when I listen to them I cannot really get into it.

Haha, I mean, I used to be as big as they come when it came to Dream Theater. I've mellowed out since. It's true though, Dream Theater does sound kinda static and "textbook" when they play. Lots of crazy virtuostic playing and solos. They are probably the most technical band out there. Also, the fans are like that. Annoying and thinking they are better than others as a result.

Really? I have trouble finding other Symphonic Metal bands that come close to their level. The only other band that I've found, which has quite a different sound, is Kamelot (another band I absolutely love).

I can't wait until their (Rhapsody's) legal battle with Magic Circle Music is over so they can release a new album (which they apparently have all ready).

I love Dragonforce, and I've been listening to their new album Ultra Beatdown since yesterday. You can check out their music video for Heroes of our Time for an idea of how this album sounds.

Still, though, Edguy gets the nod above those bands because of how much diversity they have in their music. They are never happy with an album enough to try to replicate it; they want to do something new every time.

Heh, I guess I just think Rhapsody is too cheesy, like most power metal. I do like it though. Personally, I think for power metal, Blind Guardian is still the leader of the class. They seem to be the most influenced by Maiden (layered vocals instead of layered guitars, larger than life themes, etc...). I have not listened to much Edguy though, so I gotta give them a listen soon. Kamelot is great too. Man I need to get back into following music.

I'm a little confused, maybe I dont understand the term "Metal", maybe I come from a different time.... Now dont get me wrong, I'm not saying anything disrespectful, or knocking anyones preferences but.......

Dream Theater in a metal thread? I dont get it! Rock, yes. Power Rock, yes. Symphonic Rock, yes. Any description using the word metal in it, no way.

Before you ask, yes I have heard them, I have also seen them live 2x and been to several clinics by members of the band. I agree with all the praise they are getting, I just dont consider them metal in any way, shape or form.

Metal = Black Sabbath, Slayer, (old) Metallica, Overkill, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Death, Megadeath, Motorhead, Venom, Cannibal Corpse, Pantera, Sepultura, Exodus, Venom, etc, etc, etc......

Maybe somebody can clear this up for me......

Dream Theater in a metal thread? I dont get it! Rock, yes. Power Rock, yes. Symphonic Rock, yes. Any description using the word metal in it, no way.

I would call them metal. Just different that is all. Sometimes they are a bit on the lighter side. I really do not get all of these sub-genres people come up with.

I'm a little confused, maybe I dont understand the term "Metal", maybe I come from a different time.... Now dont get me wrong, I'm not saying anything disrespectful, or knocking anyones preferences but.......

Prog metal. After the big 80s prog rock bands like Rush and Queen, 2 bands seem to have taken over since. Queensryche and Dream Theater. Symphony X to a lesser extent. Queensryche has stuck with prog rock. Someone correct me since I have not listened to much Queensryche, though I saw them once when they toured with Dream Theater.

Dream Theater is considered more the innovators of prog metal. Granted lots of non-mainstream/non-American metal can be considered progressive in some way. They did start off definitely as prog rock, for sure. Their later stuff has been more on the metal side. Somehow they've gotten even faster (like that was possible), harder riffs, etc....

Heh, I guess I just think Rhapsody is too cheesy, like most power metal. I do like it though.

I don't mind cheesy, I can handle it. I kinda like fantasy, mix it with epic and symphonic and its a really great mix for my taste.

Personally, I think for power metal, Blind Guardian is still the leader of the class. They seem to be the most influenced by Maiden (layered vocals instead of layered guitars, larger than life themes, etc...). I have not listened to much Edguy though, so I gotta give them a listen soon. Kamelot is great too. Man I need to get back into following music.

Edguy is less of a niche band than some of the others that I follow, I think you'll really like them. I would recommend starting with the album Hellfire Club as an introduction.

And as for Kamelot, I just recently discovered them so I'm still infatuated with their sound. I can't get enough of it.

Depends on your definition of "Metal"...

Sabbath and Maiden have to be up there along with Pantera.

Sabbath has to be mentioned because they are the original metal band that inspired the whole genre.

Maiden took it to the next level.

Pantera took it to another level and kept metal alive during the 90's.

Who is TSO ? I wouldn't mind checking out some of their music.

Which guitarist, Caffery or Pitrelli ?

Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and I do think it's Pitrelli, but it could be both. They have 2 touring troupes. The members of Savatage started the TSO a while back, and decided to stick with that more permanently due to its enormous success.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and I do think it's Pitrelli, but it could be both. They have 2 touring troupes. The members of Savatage started the TSO a while back, and decided to stick with that more permanently due to its enormous success.

Ooh, I do like me some Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Black Sabbath is the easy choice. Some think if it wasn't for them busting down the walls, there wouldn't be Metal. I actually agree. :silly:

If you look back though, in 1972 ACDC, Judas Priest, and Krokus all came out with albums, I know because I bought them. :)

Really the best Metal band depends on what you like to listen to. :2cents:

All music is that way, it all depends on what you like the most. The great thing is that Metal is still around, it may be a little different than what I grew up with, but there are still bands out there putting out some awesome music. :cheers:

Metal has been on its way out for over 30 years, but lucky for us fans, that isn't true.

Time to fire up some Sabotage. :notworthy

Archived