Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Metal Band of All-Time

skinsfan07

All music is that way, it all depends on what you like the most. The great thing is that Metal is still around, it may be a little different than what I grew up with, but there are still bands out there putting out some awesome music. :cheers:

Metal has been on its way out for over 30 years, but lucky for us fans, that isn't true.

Time to fire up some Sabotage. :notworthy

First of all, welcome to the TSO fanbase, though surely you've heard the songs at least before? Considering that Anheiser-Busch used that youtube video of the lights synched to "Wizards in Winter" as their commercial in 2006 and 2007. I've gone to 2 of their shows live, simply great. The main reason I did start liking them was back in the fall of 2002 when my friend said it was the Savatage members realizing they'd get far more money still producing non-mainstream style music as TSO. You should definitely try to go to a show this year, it's a great family event.

As for what is the "best metal band", I cant say it's your favorite. Sure, lots of the younger posters here have listed Metallica, but most have said they have not heard as many other big bands, not even Maiden. When I was 18 I would have said Metallica too.

However, I think when we consider the best of all time, I think of longevity, fanbase, and consistency during those years, as well as amount of criticism received. Without a doubt, Metallica would be the band to beat here except for the fact that they receive waaay too much criticism since 1992. Maiden on the other hand, most people tend to like them regardless of which decade the song is from. I'm a huge Dream Theater fan, and I like various power metal bands more, but I still go with Iron Maiden. I have not listened to much Black Sabbath, but I will easily say they deserve honors for being the first as well.

Gotta love Zeppelin.

HELL NO!

**** led zeppelin!!

they werent the best of anything and I hate that they are even called metal. They are rock, there is a huge difference!!

Sabbath is the best metal band of that era.

Kiss had a better stage show

Clapton was a better guitarist

Plant gets best frontman though.

Bonham was great but Neil was a better drummer..

They made a bunch of mediocre songs that have just been hyped up for some damn reason and arent allowed to die like the dinosaurs they are.

HELL NO!

**** led zeppelin!!

they werent the best of anything and I hate that they are even called metal. They are rock, there is a huge difference!!

Sabbath is the best metal band of that era.

Kiss had a better stage show

Clapton was a better guitarist

Plant gets best frontman though.

Bonham was great but Neil was a better drummer..

They made a bunch of mediocre songs that have just been hyped up for some damn reason and arent allowed to die like the dinosaurs they are.

I don't really listen to Zeppelin, I just like a few of their songs. lol

South of Heaven was probably the second song I learned to play on guitar, haha. Pretty sweet tune.

If you look at the tab of the main riffs from South of Heaven, Raining Blood and Dead Skin Mask, you can tell that Kerry/Jeff are fans of those same 6-8 notes...but damn they know how to tear it up

If you look at the tab of the main riffs from South of Heaven, Raining Blood and Dead Skin Mask, you can tell that Kerry/Jeff are fans of those same 6-8 notes...but damn they know how to tear it up

for sure. I heard they call themselves the "Riff Police." If it isn't evil sounding they don't like it. :laugh:

Defining the "best" metal band is a hard thing to do. I think there are several, that were the "best" at their type of metal. Here are the "best" metal bands.

Black Sabbath: The original metal band. Without them there is no metal.

Judas Priest: They perfected the sound that Sabbath brought, and brought the look and bombast of metal.

Metallica: Perfected the NWOBHM sound. There first (4) albums are the DEFINING thrash metal albums.

Iron Maiden: Orginally a punk metal band, they are the current flag bearers for the "old school" metal sound. They sound just as good as they did 25 years ago...maybe even better. For consistency and longevity they are hard to top.

IMO, Everybody else was just copying what these four groups already brought to the table.

Lombardo hands down was my favorite metal drummer of all times. The man pretty much made me dizzy while trying to figure out what he was hitting.

Great album, but we are talking about the "best" metal bands. Exodus were great, but not at the level of Metallica.

Priest has to be in that list because they gave the whole "leather and stud" look which was quickly adapted by almost every band out there.

Lombardo hands down was my favorite metal drummer of all times. The man pretty much made me dizzy while trying to figure out what he was hitting.
for sure. I heard they call themselves the "Riff Police." If it isn't evil sounding they don't like it. :laugh:

Do you guys have their last CD "Christ Illusion?" It's the only one I haven't got but I've heard it's more of the same stuff we love from Slayer.

Archived