Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Metal Band of All-Time

skinsfan07

didn't see a thread on this..........so I was just wondering who you guys think the best metal band of all time is?

I say Iron Maiden but that's just my opinion. I love em.

"The Best of The Beast" album was one of the greatest ever IMO.

And they still have it. Their most recent cd....."A Matter of Life and Death" which was released in 2006 is fantastic as well. I don't think they've ever put out a bad album.

So that being said, who do you guys think is the best metal band of all time???

I think I would have to go with Iron Maiden as well. Metallica has obviously been the most successful, but Iron Maiden has been succesful but has has also been consistent with their music.

I'm partial to Dream Theater, but I wouldn't consider their early stuff as metal.

I think dream theater's good, but not quite my style. I like Rhapsody of Fire over them for an out of the ordinary metal band. I love the grandiose symphonic sounds they achieve with the use of orchestra and chorus.

Now if you want a power metal band who has consistently great music while never sounding the same, take a look at Edguy. Can't say enough good things about this band.

Fact is, if it were not for Iron Maiden and the first few Black Sabbath albums metal would not be the same.

It is incredibly hard for me to pick the best metal band of all time. I would say the most influential metal band is Black Sabbath. But I would say the best metal band is Iron Maiden.

And if we want to talk about influential/best, I would say one of the best and most influential death metal bands were/are Morbid Angel & Death.

Fact is, if it were not for Iron Maiden and the first few Black Sabbath albums metal would not be the same.

It is incredibly hard for me to pick the best metal band of all time. I would say the most influential metal band is Black Sabbath. But I would say the best metal band is Iron Maiden.

And if we want to talk about influential/best, I would say one of the best and most influential death metal bands were/are Morbid Angel & Death.

yep Black Sabbath would be second on my list.

This pretty much sums it up. Black Sabbath was the early pioneer for metal, Zeppelin to an extent. However, Iron Maiden's longevity and success, especially for the fact that they didn't change like Metallica, allows them to be the winner of this thread. The drumming and layered guitars were sick. They do seem to have influenced power metal the most though.

As for Rhapsody of Fire, while I do think they are good, they are a pretty typical power metal band. Symphonic, over the top, epic, making up a long concept that spanned 5 albums. Sick guitar playing thought. Dragonforce seems to be all the rage now from the power metal side.

I wouldn't necessarily consider Dream Theater out of the ordinary. Despite not being mainstream, they are about as close to mainstream as a band can become. Not quite as broad of a fanbase as Maiden, but they are pretty high up there, and I think it's more their prog rock stuff that broadened their fanbase the farthest.

Dream Theater are fantastic musicans. The sad thing is that when I listen to them I cannot really get into it. They just sound like a textbook being played back. Petrucci is an amazing guitarist but his solos are so...boring :doh:. Another thing that bothers me about the majority of dream theater fans is that they are sooooooooooooo annoying. Example: I went to see Porcupine Tree at Rams Head and there was a kid wearing a Berklee College of Music shirt and a kid came up to him who was decked out in a Dream Theater t-shirt and wrist bands and went crazy because this other kid went to Berklee. Thought it was the coolest thing ever...all because the guys in DT went to Berklee (didn't even graduate, but they made a career first, kudos to them). Moral of the story, this dream theater fan was a tool.

Anyway, Iron Maiden ftw!!!!! \m/

As for Rhapsody of Fire, while I do think they are good, they are a pretty typical power metal band. Symphonic, over the top, epic, making up a long concept that spanned 5 albums. Sick guitar playing thought.

Really? I have trouble finding other Symphonic Metal bands that come close to their level. The only other band that I've found, which has quite a different sound, is Kamelot (another band I absolutely love).

I can't wait until their (Rhapsody's) legal battle with Magic Circle Music is over so they can release a new album (which they apparently have all ready).

Dragonforce seems to be all the rage now from the power metal side.

I love Dragonforce, and I've been listening to their new album Ultra Beatdown since yesterday. You can check out their music video for Heroes of our Time for an idea of how this album sounds.

Still, though, Edguy gets the nod above those bands because of how much diversity they have in their music. They are never happy with an album enough to try to replicate it; they want to do something new every time.

didn't see a thread on this..........so I was just wondering who you guys think the best metal band of all time is?

I say Iron Maiden but that's just my opinion. I love em.

"The Best of The Beast" album was one of the greatest ever IMO.

And they still have it. Their most recent cd....."A Matter of Life and Death" which was released in 2006 is fantastic as well. I don't think they've ever put out a bad album.

So that being said, who do you guys think is the best metal band of all time???

Bro, you don't have any idea about how awesome Iron Maiden is....I was buying their cassette tapes and watching them tour before you were born :laugh:

Their best was Live after Death, it was a live recording. Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are two of my all time favorites.....

I love all their **** to be honest. Nicko McBrain rules!

Bro, you don't have any idea about how awesome Iron Maiden is....I was buying their cassette tapes and watching them tour before you were born :laugh:

Their best was Live after Death, it was a live recording. Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are two of my all time favorites.....

Iron Maiden puts on one of the most incredible live shows I have ever seen in my life. Generally when I go to see a concert I am in a small club really close to the front of the stage looking up at the band. Even sitting a hundred rows back at a Maiden concert, I still feel I am right up front. They are incredible showman and fantastic musicians.

I'm jealous!!!!!

I really wanna go to one of their concerts. I don't CARE how old they are! They are amazing! It would be awesome. Too bad they barely tour the US!

if they traveled to Charlotte in the next 3 years, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

I'm jealous!!!!!

I really wanna go to one of their concerts. I don't CARE how old they are! They are amazing! It would be awesome. Too bad they barely tour the US!

if they traveled to Charlotte in the next 3 years, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Bruce said they would be back when to promote the new album once it comes out. Probably in a year or two.

Pantera has my vote. They were the eptiome of metal. Strength, groove, and just some major butt kicking. I really feel that these guys had it all. If I had to go into battle and whip some butt, Vulgar or Driven would be on my headphones. Nothing gets you pumped like those two albums. Dime had major metal groove!

Honorable mention goes to:

Megadeth

Mastodon

Sepultura (pre-Roots)

Nevermore

Judas Priest

Archived