Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: American Citizen or World Citizen?

Mass_SkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not sure "World Citizen" makes much sense. Citizens are persons living under a certain government that have certain rights enforced by said government. There really isn't a "World Government" (unless you believe the crackpot theories about the UN, World Bank, etc.), so you can't be a "World Citizen".

I'm not sure "World Citizen" makes much sense. Citizens are persons living under a certain government that have certain rights enforced by said government. There really isn't a "World Government" (unless you believe the crackpot theories about the UN, World Bank, etc.), so you can't be a "World Citizen".

It comes from Socrates:

"I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world."

Right, so Obama is a "citizen of the world"!? Wow, that's rich! I guess that's why he wants to renegotiate NAFTA and our other trade deals to make them more beneficial to the USA. And I guess that's alos why his campaign is full of Ethanol lobbyists who have helped to increase the price of satple crops by 50%, which helps US farmers a lot but screws South America and Africa. This guy is just talking out of his ass again.

Though I value life from all nations, I'm a firm believer in American Sovereignty; so I suppose the only answer I could give is the prior. Just as I am American, people born and raised in England are English and people born and raised in China are Chinese (providing that they still hold their citizenship). Not to say that I believe I'm better than anyone else just because I am an American, but I won't pretend to be anything else.

I am an American Citizen first, then a World Citizen. We are all citizens of the world because whatever happens around the world usually comes back to bite us and affect us.

To love and care for our great country also means being a citizen of the world so we can protect our beliefs, keep our eyes open globally and look after its' interests.

:2cents:BTW, Mass you also needed more options on this poll. You needed a "Both" or one that said 'American Citizen first, World Second". or "I don't care, pass me a Sammich. " ( to see who doesn't care, and to to cover all bases. )

Well to be honest, as soon as the U.S. passport agency determines that it knows who I am and sends me my passport, I'm leaving the U.S., not sure if either is a good option.

Symbol, I'm sorry to hear that. I just hope that you're going to do the right thing and leave your US Citizenship at the border if you're going overseas permanently.

I am an American Citizen first, then a World Citizen. We are all citizens of the world because whatever happens around the world usually comes back to bite us and affect us. To love and care for our great country also means being a citizen of the world so we can protect our beliefs, keep our eyes open globally and look after its' interests.

BTW, Mass you also needed more options on this poll. You needed a "Both" or one that said 'American Citizen first, World Second". or "I don't care, pass me a Sammich. " ( to see who doesn't care, and to to cover all bases. )

No it didn't, HogNose. I've discussed this a couple of times already. In my mind if you're concerned with what's going on outside the borders of this country you're a World Citizen. Pure and Simple. If you don't care what's going on inside this country you must be a World Citizen as well. Which is why I really think that most of the people who have voted American Citizen probably selected the wrong option.

I wonder what the poll results would look like if it asked:

Are you an American Citizen or an Earthling?

There's been a request for a different version of this related to isolationism, so you might see something similar to your concept in the next couple weeks.

I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN and a member of the world community.

Then in my mind you're a World Citizen, SO.

No it didn't, HogNose. I've discussed this a couple of times already. In my mind if you're concerned with what's going on outside the borders of this country you're a World Citizen. Pure and Simple. If you don't care what's going on inside this country you must be a World Citizen as well. Which is why I really think that most of the people who have voted American Citizen probably selected the wrong option.

So, based on your definitions of each type of citizen, I suppose that those that voted for American citizen would really see no point in being in places like Iraq for the purpose of either spreading democracy around the globe or getting rid of evil dictators (since those people/countries don't really matter)?

Also, of course, your definition essentially means that any global warming/climate change/energy conservation needs don't need to consider what the rest of the world is doing? Or anything about human rights violations or diseases worldwide? Or global economy effects?

I understand your concept, but your limited view of 'American citizen' seems to only apply to those that feel America is a complete bubble from the rest of the world. Of course, people are free to hold that belief, but I just don't how they can honestly say that's possible in today's society with so much international connection.

I voted as World citizen based on your definition, but I do feel you'll see more people on this board that are more proud to be American citizens that that of any other country or as the world as a whole, but still understand certain situations around the world that affect other human beings as still important and relevant to their opinions of the world. I guess just another suggestion to have a USA before world choice. Those that feel only America matters can choose their choice. Those that feel that the world as a whole matters most can choose that one. Those that feel America matters most should choose that respective choice. Just my :2cents: .

Symbol, I'm sorry to hear that. I just hope that you're going to do the right thing and leave your US Citizenship at the border if you're going overseas permanently.

I've actually been planning on it, just have to be able to leave the country first.

Fine, then I'm a citizen of the world.

Very much agree with you here Buford.

First and foremost I'm a citizen of America, and a proud citizen at that. I truly to believe we are the best country in the world.

HOWEVER, I do care about the plight of others in this world and since we are not allowed to choose the "both" option, I will pick the "world citizen" option as that umbrella covers both.

eh, has hell frozen over???? i actually agree with you?!?!?!?!?

Archived