Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: American Citizen or World Citizen?

Mass_SkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Obama is nothing new. He's another liberal in the classic sense who blames America first. They also worry about having all the nations of the world like us. I wonder if the leaders of the Roman Empire ever once worried about other nations liking them.

I think you've got this totally wrong. Because we live in America and we experience the US (both her gifts and faults) daily, I think we are more sensitive to her problems. Thus, we are more self-critical than outwardly critical. More, the fact that we self-analyze has more to do with wanting to do better than it has with self-hatred.

Finally, the ancient Romans ought to have worried more about their complacency and the barbarians and other nations. If they had, the mercenaries might not have turned on them and destroyed the empire.

Now you're not making sense.

How can you be a Skins fan, and NOT a fan of football?

In my mind being a fan is about where your primary interests lay. I am a fan of a team. I don't root for the league (for reasons that have been discussed before), and I don't root for the sport. I don't watch football unless I've got a rooting interest. I don't discuss or debate the sport on a general level.

Does that make a little more sense?

It's essentially the same US vs. World concept.

I think everyone who is saying the words "both" or "world" should go to 70+% of the other nations of the world (starting with the Middle East and heading south into Africa) and try to claim your rights as a citizen of the world...

I'm a citizen of the United States of America because it is the greatest and most free nation on the planet. The world will have to catch up to it in just about every category before I think to broaden my allegiance...

Anyway... these are just words... speeches...

Gee Smoot - Why don't you travel the world, start in middle east, and try to claim your rights as a "American Citizen".....:doh:

Your point is pointless. As I stated, I'm a American first. But America is part of the world, and we are all in this together. You are both. If something is VERY bad for America, it is probably bad for the world. And if it's bad for the world, it's probably bad for America.

It's a poor question. Of course you have strong local loyalty, but you can't ignore the bigger picture either. And by bigger picture I mean moving from neighborhood, to community, to county, state, country and beyond, not just nationalism.

Perhaps you should offer a poll on whether USA should take an isolationist role, because I think that is what you are getting at.

Perhaps you should offer a poll on whether USA should take an isolationist role, because I think that is what you are getting at.

Maybe in the future, but this one is worded as it is because one of our Presidential candidates brought the topic up yesterday and I wanted to see how many people agreed with his concept of being a World Citizen.

In my mind being a fan is about where your primary interests lay. I am a fan of a team. I don't root for the league (for reasons that have been discussed before), and I don't root for the sport. I don't watch football unless I've got a rooting interest. I don't discuss or debate the sport on a general level.

I don't think you're right here.

As a Redskins fan, you take interest of what's happening around the league. If a rival team signs an impact player....and even if a popular player from another division retires. Its all of interest on a certain level.

You've never discussed the salary cap? free agency? rules on horsecollar tackling?

Maybe in the future, but this one is worded as it is because one of our Presidential candidates brought the topic up yesterday and I wanted to see how many people agreed with his concept of being a World Citizen.

Other than yourself, and perhaps a few others, I don't think it is an either/or choice.

Even the most ardent nationalist might recognize that the USA's best interests are served by a more collaborative approach. If we determine the US has a role outside our own shores (as most would do in a global economy) it would be nice if some more nations were doing the heavy lifting along side us where necessary.

As a Redskins fan, you take interest of what's happening around the league. If a rival team signs an impact player....and even if a popular player from another division retires. Its all of interest on a certain level.

Of my 4000+ posts, less than 160 of them are in ATN. I really don't pay much attention to the rest of the league (the one exception being the Pats). I couldn't tell you who Philly or Dallas or the Giants signed or drafted this year. I don't follow it. I'm a Redskins fan and nothing more.

You've never discussed the salary cap? free agency? rules on horsecollar tackling?

Only when they're directly related to the Redskins. I don't often discuss them on a general level. That's not my interest.

Citizen: a native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection

So, American citizen of course.

Basic basic definition: an inhabitant, or denizen

If you go by that then, until America is placed on the moon or something, I guess we would also be considered world citizens. Or maybe Earth citizens.

Think Globally, Act Locally.

I've always enjoyed that bumper sticker.

If we decide to send our entire manufacturing industry to a country like China, who openly doesn't care if they pollute the entire World, you are still crapping on your own neighborhood.

America gives away more money to other Nations than anybody, the stronger we are, the better the World is.

I try to buy everything I can from members of my own community and in turn that makes my County better. If my County does well, it reflects on the State. If every State does better, the Country does better and if so, the World sees the benefit.

The "Global Economy/Market" slogan is inaccurate.

Well, I'm a football fan. I root for the Redskins and I put them first ahead of any other team, but I'm also a fan of players on many other teams, and I play Fantasy Football, and I enjoy watching games even when the Redskins aren't involved.

I guess that makes me a citizen of the world. :whoknows:

If that's true then there are a lot of people not voting honestly in this poll.

If they decide to play your game, they have an either/or choice which is misleading. If you offered a third option of 'both', or 'USA first, but both', I think your results would be very different.

As I said, it's a poor question and as with any survey if you ask a leading question you will get skewed results.

If they decide to play your game, they have an either/or choice which is misleading. If you offered a third option of 'both', or 'USA first, but both', I think your results would be very different.

As I said, it's a poor question and as with any survey if you ask a leading question you will get skewed results.

I don't see it as a leading question. The instructions are very simple.... If you think globally, you're a global citizen. I think the problem is that people are not reading the OP and actually following the instructions.

How about a third option of 'both?'

You may not believe its possible. But, I think a lot of folks would.

That concept is discussed specifically in the original post, gentlemen.

Fine, then I'm a citizen of the world.

I think "Both" is a very good answer.

Do I care about events in other countries? Yes.

You can be primarily an American Citizen while being a Global one also.

Very much agree with you here Buford.

First and foremost I'm a citizen of America, and a proud citizen at that. I truly to believe we are the best country in the world.

HOWEVER, I do care about the plight of others in this world and since we are not allowed to choose the "both" option, I will pick the "world citizen" option as that umbrella covers both.

Archived