Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: American Citizen or World Citizen?

Mass_SkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Mr. Obama used a phrase yesterday in his speech that I hear every once in a while and that drives me crazy... "Citizen of the World". It's a concept he seems to be very highly in favor or and that he believes we should all be buying into.

So.... what do you consider yourself? Are you a Citizen of the United States of America or a Citizen of the World?

BTW - For those who want to make the arguement that being an American Citizen makes you a Citizen of the World... please vote "Citizen of the World".

POLL IS PUBLIC.

I think you need to clarify. I assume American citizen means we should always do what's in America's best interest but not necessarily in the world's. Being an American citizen means we should look out for own and worry about ourselves before looking at the global scale? Citizen of the World means we should sacrifice our own interests/people to do what's best for the world regardless of what it means for America? Not sure if that's exactly what you're getting at.

Given his criteria and that normally I would choose both... I guess I have to pick World. I think citizenship equals duty, responsiblilty and allegiance. I think we have a duty, responsibility to be shepherds to this world and to our fellow man. I'm not sure about alliegance, but I believe there is a common responsibility and a universal ethic that flows even beyond the invisible boundaries we've placed all over a globe.

Now, if the question was where does my greater alliegance lie, then it would be the U.S.

But thinking about Mass' question, I think the results will be very interesting. How many view themselves as American Citizens (America = North America, Central America, and South America), but not a world citizen?

But thinking about Mass' question, I think the results will be very interesting. How many view themselves as American Citizens (America = North America, Central America, and South America), but not a world citizen?

No. America = United States of America. Not Canada. Not Mexico. The USA only. I thought I'd made that pretty clear in the OP.

No. America = United States of America. Not Canada. Not Mexico. The USA only. I thought I'd made that pretty clear in the OP.

You should no by now, reading beyond thread titles is too much to ask! :silly:

I just thought that would be a funny observation, but you did cover it.

I do think that we owe a responsibility to take care of the world and treat it benignly. I think in that light World Citizen makes sense. As a human term, it's a nice bit of idealistic fluff. We're a long way from the world of Star Trek.

I think "Both" is a very good answer.

Where do I pay taxes? In America. Where was I born? In Washington, DC. Where do I live? In Maryland.

Do some of my taxes go to helping other nations? Yes. Do I care about events in other countries? Yes?

You can be primarily an American Citizen while being a Global one also.

Its a global interconnected world now. Events in one part of the globe effect our daily lives here, daily ;)

So yes, American citizen first, but very concerned about staiblity and issues world wide, in particular how our economic interests are effected

Since we have become more global, and in particular since we started entering into free trade agreements, our standard of living stateside has risen tremendously

This must be an odd thread for our friends that are native to other Countries who come here and participate on the boards. Is their only option "World Citizen" and they cant jump over and be an "American Citizen" if they wanted to? Can they choose the option British, or Spanish, or something more broad like European Citizen? The answer kinda sways my decision a little.

If Americans are jumping ship becoming "World Citizens" and no one from other Countries is wanting to be an "American Citizen", then Id probably stay and be an "American Citizen". I guess Im a bit of a Homer.

Very vague question. Id need some more parameters to make an objective decision, but my knee/jerk reaction is to be an American Citizen because it is currently what i am.

Obama is nothing new. He's another liberal in the classic sense who blames America first. They also worry about having all the nations of the world like us. I wonder if the leaders of the Roman Empire ever once worried about other nations liking them.

I put world, ONLY because you have no both option. I am a American Citizen first, but I am also a world citizen.

Yes - I would put American interest first, but not my only consideration.

Meaning if it's good for America and slightly bad for the world - then fine.

But if it was slightly good for America, and very bad for the world, then I would be against it (Whatever IT is).

It's like saying are you a Redskins fan or a Football fan? I'm both.

It's like saying are you a Redskins fan or a Football fan? I'm both.

That's another concept I don't believe in either. Nothing personal.

How come once I vote I can no longer see who voted for what??

You need to click on the numbers on the right side of the poll to view the names.

I think everyone who is saying the words "both" or "world" should go to 70+% of the other nations of the world (starting with the Middle East and heading south into Africa) and try to claim your rights as a citizen of the world...

I'm a citizen of the United States of America because it is the greatest and most free nation on the planet. The world will have to catch up to it in just about every category before I think to broaden my allegiance...

Anyway... these are just words... speeches...

Archived