Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Classic novels everyone should read

WVUforREDSKINS

Both versions? Because I've never read the book but the Jack version is one of the better movies I've ever seen... can't say as much for the Steven Weber version.

Stephen King has said any times he doesn't like the movie because it goes too far from the book...but he did like the Steven Weber version much better.

Stephen King has said any times he doesn't like the movie because it goes too far from the book...but he did like the Steven Weber version much better.

From what I've heard the Weber version is much truer to the book... but its just an awful movie.

The Jack version is a great movie whether or not it closely follows the book . :2cents:

Cool thread. I just started reading novels about a year ago. I read the LOTR trilogy along with the Hobbit. A couple of crappy horror books. I am currently reading the Wheel of Time series. I don't think they are classics yet, however, they are fun to read, well, other than the 80 billion different names that must be remembered.

The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

I read a book called The Fur Hat last year. It's a short story about life in the USSR. I had to read it for my Russian studies class and was a pretty interesting read.

Night by Elie Wiesel

A Time to Kill (not a classic but a damn good read) by John Grisham

From what I've heard the Weber version is much truer to the book... but its just an awful movie.

The Jack version is a great movie whether or not it closely follows the book . :2cents:

I agree with you rincewind.

The Weber version (saw most of it)...it was okay...truer to the book but it was done as a miniseries and they were only able to do so much on Network TV in 1996.

Jack's version...stands alone as a horror classic.

Well, I don't know if you consider science fiction to be "classic".

Starship Troopers: Robert A Heinlein. First glance, it looks like a "gosh wow shoot 'em up". Second glance, it's "kid joins the Army, becomes Man". Oh, and he "invented" powered combat armor. But there's a lot more in this book.

Childhoods End: Arthur Clarke. Man is contacted by extraterrestrials. OK, the first chapter is a bit dated. (It takes place on a Pacific atoll, where the US is preparing to launch their first rocket.) But the book then jumps forward to oh, say, present day, but with ETs around, and the rest of the book takes place in the future. If you thought 2001 dealt with big, grandiose concepts, you haven't read this book.

One of the greatest books I've ever read IMO, there aren't many I enjoyed as much as it.

Great Gatsby

The Sun Also Rises

Moby Dick

The God of Small Things (its a perturbing but interesting read)

The karma Sutra (read the text, either you'll be impressed or you'll laugh your ass off)

The Art of War

Communist Manifesto (that'll rile up some feathers here, I still need to read "wealth of nations")

Leviathan

Common Sense (started reading it, so far so good)

On Killing by Dave Grossman

Grossman takes a very informed and in depth look at killing, both in combat and in society. Grossman has a masters in psychology. But more than that, he is a former Army Ranger who has "seen the elephant"

Grossman breaks down the body's basic responses to killing. He then attempts to explain why it is American society is so accepting of violence.

Generation Kill by Evan Wright

Wright was a journalist for Rolling Stone that was embedded with 2nd Recon Battalion (USMC) during the initial push into Iraq in 2003. Wright is able to follow a platoon led by Lt Nathanial Fick as they race through Iraq.

If you want to know what America's current generation of fighting men is like, this is the book. Wright pulls few punches, describing both thoughtful, highly trained individuals and those individuals who are highly trained and, frankly, like the idea of killing.

Im going to mention books that helped me thru my childhood. I dont know how well you guys appreciate them...

Call of the Wild

White Fang

Where the Red Fern Grows

Old Yeller

The Outsiders

A Wrinkle in Time

Lion Witch and the Wardrobe

All of JRR Tolkien's books

Cool thread. I just started reading novels about a year ago. I read the LOTR trilogy along with the Hobbit. A couple of crappy horror books. I am currently reading the Wheel of Time series. I don't think they are classics yet, however, they are fun to read, well, other than the 80 billion different names that must be remembered.

Jordan should have ended it after book 3. And if you think there are alot of characters in WoT.....try keeping everyone straight in the ASOIAF series by Martin.

Call of the Wild

White Fang

Where the Red Fern Grows

Old Yeller

The Outsiders

A Wrinkle in Time

Lion Witch and the Wardrobe

All of JRR Tolkien's books

Read all of them except Call of the Wild and Old yeller. And I haven't read LOTR's I prefer the extended DVDs. The Hobbit was a great read. I really hope that gets settled and will be on the big screen soon.

Read all of them except Call of the Wild and Old yeller. And I haven't read LOTR's I prefer the extended DVDs. The Hobbit was a great read. I really hope that gets settled and will be on the big screen soon.

the LOTR books are a good read if you can get into them. Very detailed and sometimes it seems like he tries to set up the scene too much instead of just letting you use your imagination.

Ol Yeller is one of my favs as a child. Im sure you know how it ends though.

Call of the Wild is great too.

I forgot to put down:

Old man and the sea

Macbeth

Autobiography of Malcolm X.

Probably shocking to hear someone who supports the confederate flag state that but I own that book and have read it at least 4 times. It is a great story of an "uneducated thug" who picks himself up and turns himself in to one of the great leaders in American history. Whether he was NOI or he was not he was a strong man and was very influential.

Speaking of Russian Lit has anyone actually managed to finish War and Peace...that book is damn long.

Great book, although its long (no longer than some others though) the narrative - I found - made it pretty easy reading. The section that develops the story as Napolean invades Russia and the attritional battle at Borodino is great stuff.

By the way, another book is 'Sunset Song' by Lewis Grassic-Gibbon, based on people who lived and worked in farms in the north east of Scotland in the early 20th century and the slow but relentless change and eventual end of a way of life as the 20th century and the first world war etc caught up with how people lived. Absolute gem of a novel. Anyone who lives in the US mid-west and has a history of farming in their family would probably understand this book.

the LOTR books are a good read if you can get into them. Very detailed and sometimes it seems like he tries to set up the scene too much instead of just letting you use your imagination.

Ol Yeller is one of my favs as a child. Im sure you know how it ends though.

Call of the Wild is great too.

I forgot to put down:

Old man and the sea

Macbeth

Macbeth?

Can't do it.

I do not enjoy Shakespear.

I have such a hard time reading it.......makes it not enjoyable.

Archived