Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Classic novels everyone should read

WVUforREDSKINS

Macbeth?

Can't do it.

I do not enjoy Shakespear.

I have such a hard time reading it.......makes it not enjoyable.

I don't really like Shakespear either, but my 12th grade English class read Macbeth and I kinda liked it.

I read it from a text book so it was probably an abridged version.

well then its a good thing I read ShakespearE. :silly:

My God, you're a principal? :laugh:

And your point?

Because I am a principal I have to like Shakespear?

Heck, I love to run around nekkid.

Prinipals aren't suppose to do that either, I guess.

:laugh:

I don't really like Shakespear either, but my 12th grade English class read Macbeth and I kinda liked it.

I read it from a text book so it was probably an abridged version.

I've read a few Shakespeare in my own time but I wouldnt put it in the category of a novel? :2cents:

By the way, dont you know you should never say M******?!! its "the Scottish Play". To mention M****** brings horrendous bad luck :evil:

Stranger in a Strange Land

Starship Troopers

Alas, Babylon

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress

Time Enough for Love

4 out of 5 - Robert H. Heinlein.

Great author.

Stranger in a Strange Land was one of those books that stayed with me a long time.

So was Ender's Game.

OH.

The spelling.

Forgot the "e".

Geez.

GRAMMAR POLICE BADGE NEEDED HERE.

TK.

Can he borrow yours?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I tried to just say it slick like and let you slide but you gotta be a smart ass and keep going so I had to tell ya.

Its not like it was a crazy word or something you dont ever see either. :silly:

but I still want a badge please TK. :D

I tried to just say it slick like and let you slide but you gotta be a smart ass and keep going so I had to tell ya.

Its not like it was a crazy word or something you dont ever see either. :silly:

but I still want a badge please TK. :D

:laugh: :laugh:

Like you expected something different?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The badge is in the mail.

I can't read any of ShakespearE's stuff.

Makes me tired.

Hark! the words of Shakespeare are like a plague upon my house, with slings and arrows of outrageous fortune thrown in for good measure on the conscience of the king. Alas, his writings do inset upon me a headache, which no aspirin can cure.

To read, or not to read, it is no question, the not doth win by more than a nose.

Cool thread. I just started reading novels about a year ago. I read the LOTR trilogy along with the Hobbit. A couple of crappy horror books. I am currently reading the Wheel of Time series. I don't think they are classics yet, however, they are fun to read, well, other than the 80 billion different names that must be remembered.

The Wheel of Time series is flat-out cool as hell, though they are not now, now will they ever be considered classics. Robert Jordan has one of the most highly imaginative literate minds since Tolkien. Excellent stuff.

Rand al Thor baby!

The Wheel of Time series is flat-out cool as hell, though they are not now, now will they ever be considered classics. Robert Jordan has one of the most highly imaginative literate minds since Tolkien. Excellent stuff.

Rand al Thor baby!

Yup. One of the great injustices of all time is that he passed away before he was able to finish the series. Sucks big time. Hopefully the new guy they got writing the next ones won't **** it up.

Yup. One of the great injustices of all time is that he passed away before he was able to finish the series. Sucks big time. Hopefully the new guy they got writing the next ones won't **** it up.

The new guy is Brandon Sanderson. He wrote this in his blog.

Q: What is A MEMORY OF LIGHT?

A: A MEMORY OF LIGHT is the twelfth and final volume of Robert Jordan's epic fantasy series The Wheel of Time. Mr. Jordan passed away earlier this year, but left notes and instructions regarding the completion of this final volume.

Q: So is it going to be your book or Robert Jordan's book?

A: There is no question: It will be Robert Jordan's book. The notes he left behind are very detailed, particularly with regards to the most important scenes of the book. I will be following his outline with exactness, and including as much of his actual written prose as I can, changing as little as possible.

Q: Will your name be on the cover?

A: Both names will be on the cover, but the focus will--and should be--on Mr. Jordan's name.

Q: Will you tell me specifically which parts you are writing and which parts he wrote?

A: Maybe someday, once the book has been published. For now, however, I think that doing so would be counter-productive. The last thing we want is for people to read this book and instead of enjoying Mr. Jordan's vision and story, spend their time picking apart which pieces were his and which are mine. I suggest that you not worry about this issue at the moment, but instead simply read and enjoy the book when it comes out. There will be time for analysis later.

Q: Is the book going to be as good as it would have been if Mr. Jordan had written it?

A: I have to be honest. I'm not Mr. Jordan. He's the master, and I'm just a journeyman. He's one of the greatest fantasy authors the genre has ever known. I can't hope to write with his skill and power at this stage in my career--and I think there are very, very few writers who could.

Fortunately, I don't have to do this on my own. I have seen the notes, as I mentioned above, and I find them very reassuring. Let me put forth a metaphor for you.

Pretend you have purchased an expensive violin from a master craftsman. It probably wouldn't surprise you to discover that one of the craftsman's apprentices helped create that violin. The master may have had the apprentice sand, or apply varnish, or perhaps shape some of the less important pieces of wood. In fact, if you looked at the violin before master craftsman handed it off to his apprentice, it might just look like a pile of wood to you, and not an instrument at all.

However, the master craftsman did the most important parts. He shaped the heart of the violin, crafting the pieces which would produce the beautiful sound. He came up with the design for the violin, as well as the procedures and processes used in creating his violins. It's not surprising that some other hands were involved in the busywork of following those procedures and designs, once the most important work was done. And so, even though the apprentice helped, the violin can proudly bear the master's signature and stamp.

It's the same with this book. What I've been given may not look like a novel to you, but it excites me because I can see the book Mr. Jordan was creating. All of the important chunks are there in such detail that I feel like I've read the completed novel, and not just an outline. Yes, there is still quite a bit of work to be done. Many of the less important scenes are there only as a framework of a few sentences. However, Mr. Jordan left behind the design of this book. I am convinced that between myself, his wife (who was his editor), and his assistants, we can complete this book to be very, very close to the way he would have done.

Q: Will it be one book or will you split it into two? I heard that this book would be really big, and that it might have to be cut into two chunks.

A: It will be one book. Mr. Jordan wanted it that way. I am certain from what I've seen that we will be able to complete the novel in a way that it will be published as one volume.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Love Steinbeck. Read everything by him. All great.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Trinity by Leon Uris

Duncan Delaney and the Cadillac of Doom by A. L. Haskett

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien

If I Die in a Combat Zone : Box Me Up and Ship Me Home by Tim O'Brien

In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien

Vonnegut is money. With anything.

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Anything by Albert Camus is great. Not just The Stranger.

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

The Illuminatus! Trilogy: The Eye in the Pyramid, The Golden Apple, Leviathan by Robert Shea

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

And while not classic or anything I've always enjoyed Elmore Leonard. Easiest reading ever.

Yeah I'm somewhat of a book junkie. This is just off the top of my head and stuff that I didn't see mentioned yet. I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton. If we start getting into non-fiction and memoirs I got plenty of those.

The new guy is Brandon Sanderson. He wrote this in his blog.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Yeah I heard that before, that he basically laid it all out. I'm looking forward to it regardless.

Thanks for the link btw.

Man, I can't wait for that book. Unfortunately though I think I may have to go back and read the first 11 again before it comes out.

Man, I can't wait for that book. Unfortunately though I think I may have to go back and read the first 11 again before it comes out.

Ha ha, very true. As the first post about this series stated, there are a lot of details to keep together as one wend's his or her way through this epic. Something tells me it will be just as fun the second time around, however.

Archived