Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Classic novels everyone should read

WVUforREDSKINS

Let's get a list going. I want to see what I have missed and need to read. I am actually trying to get back into reading for enjoyment. errrr, I should say start reading for enjoyment since I never really read for fun. I don't count choose your own adventure books.

Of Mice of Men (one of my favorites)

To Kill a Mockingbird

Farenheit 451

Brave New World

Catcher in the Rye

The Violent Bear It Away - Flannery O'Connor.

Basically any Virginia Woolf, but especially To The Lighthouse, The Waves, and Mrs. Dalloway

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

The Plague and The Stranger by Albert Camus

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard

Any Hemingway, especially For Whom The Bell Tolls

Great thread, glad to see we have some readers on ES. :applause:

The one's you listed...plus some more:

Catcher in the Rye ( Damn I love this book....a must read!)

Huckleberry Finn

The Old Man and the Sea

Great Expectations

Slaughterhouse -Five

Moby Dick

Gulliver's Travels

On the Road

The Grapes of Wrath

Animal Farm

Geeze most of these books aren't anything short of awful. Moby Dick....boring

Don Quixote: even worse

Anything by Hemmingway :doh:

Farenheit 451 is at best ordinary

Anything by Twain is excellent. Invisible man is very good. Great Expectations is a very good book. The Brothers Karamazov is at least interesting.

Myself, I've actually started going back and reading the Judy Blume books.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Remember about 10 years ago, some group (NAACP?) wanted to ban Huck Finn, because they felt that the character Slave Jim was offensive. (Because he said things like "Lawsey, massah".)

Remember some op-ed piece that pointed out that when Twain wrote it, a lot of people also wanted to ban it, also because of Slave Jim.

They objected because they didn't want kids reading a book where a black man was The Good Guy.

don quixote was arguably one of the most important books in western literature, and a founding work for the modern novel.... anywhoo, heres a great list

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/100-must-read-books-the-essential-mans-library/

100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man’s Library

Posted By jlankow On May 14, 2008 @ 12:01 am In A Man's Life, Blog, Featured | 540 Comments

If you're new here, sign up to receive daily updates from the Art of Manliness either by [1] email or by [2] RSS. Thanks for visiting!

Written by: Jason Lankow, Ross Crooks, Joshua Ritchie, and Brett McKay

KUPFERSITCH-KABINETT-DRESD2.jpg

Photo by [3]

the nonist

Buzz up!

There are the books you read, and then there are the books that change your life. We can all look back on the books that have shaped our perspective on politics, religion, money, and love. Some will even become a source of inspiration for the rest of your life. From a seemingly infinite list of books of anecdotal or literal merit, we have narrowed down the top 100 books that have shaped the lives of individual men while also helping define broader cultural ideas of what it means to be a man.

Whether it be a book on adventure, war, or manners, there is so much to learn about life’s great questions from these gems. Let us know in the comments which of these you loved, hated, and the books that meant a lot to you and should have made the list (you can even get really indignant about your favorite book). And without further ado, this is our list.

[4] Amazon Listmania: The Essential Man’s Library Part I

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

great_gatsby.jpg

Set on the East Coast in the roaring 20’s, this American novel is a classic. From it we learn that often the wanting of something is better than actually having it. It is relevant to every man’s life. Furthermore, one true friend is worth infinitely more than a multitude of acquaintances.

“He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles… It faced–or seemed to face–the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor.”

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

241630186_75f02e81d4.jpg

Considered by most to be the authoritative text on statesmanship and power (how to obtain it as well as an illustration of its trappings), although certainly a shrewd one.

From this arises an argument: whether it is better to be loved than feared. I reply that one should like to be both one and the other; but since it is difficult to join them together, it is much safer to be feared than to be loved when one of the two must be lacking.

Essentially, Machiavelli advocates letting your people have their property and women, but making sure that they know what you are capable of doing if they step out of line.

click on link for the rest

Well, I don't know if you consider science fiction to be "classic".

Starship Troopers: Robert A Heinlein. First glance, it looks like a "gosh wow shoot 'em up". Second glance, it's "kid joins the Army, becomes Man". Oh, and he "invented" powered combat armor. But there's a lot more in this book.

Childhoods End: Arthur Clarke. Man is contacted by extraterrestrials. OK, the first chapter is a bit dated. (It takes place on a Pacific atoll, where the US is preparing to launch their first rocket.) But the book then jumps forward to oh, say, present day, but with ETs around, and the rest of the book takes place in the future. If you thought 2001 dealt with big, grandiose concepts, you haven't read this book.

Was it really necessary to go dig up somebody else's list of one hundred steenkin books, with a picture of the cover of every one, so that it took me over four minutes for my DSL connection to download the steenkin page?

Geeze most of these books aren't anything short of awful.

Moby Dick....boring

Don Quixote: even worse

...Brothers Karamazov at least interesting.

Pah! check that huge link above! obviously as well informed and as well read as I me......;)

don quixote was arguably one of the most important books in western literature, and a founding work for the modern novel.... anywhoo, heres a great list

1. Try posting just the link. It is somewhere in the rules about large sections of text.

2. He said he was reading for ENJOYMENT. Don Quixote is an important piece of literature, but it is far from entertaining or enjoying.

Since "Journey to the Center of the Earth" comes out today or something it's only appropriate that Jules Verne's works be added to the list. Around the world in 80 days , 20,000 leagues under the sea , and Journey to the Center of the Earth are all great reads.

Remember about 10 years ago, some group (NAACP?) wanted to ban Huck Finn, because they felt that the character Slave Jim was offensive. (Because he said things like "Lawsey, massah".)

Remember some op-ed piece that pointed out that when Twain wrote it, a lot of people also wanted to ban it, also because of Slave Jim.

They objected because they didn't want kids reading a book where a black man was The Good Guy.

Geez.

Are there any threads you don't make into race threads? :laugh:

Since "Journey to the Center of the Earth" comes out today or something it's only appropriate that Jules Verne's works be added to the list. Around the world in 80 days , 20,000 leagues under the sea , and Journey to the Center of the Earth are all great reads.

Always get a chuckle from the folks crediting Verne for "inventing the submarine".

Anybody remember what it was that powered the Nautilus?

-----

Also remember reading a piece (by Clarke?), where he says some group hired him to talk about how Science Fiction predicts the future. He chose to talk about the first story he ever sold.

His story was about a team of climbers, attempting to be the first ever to climb Everest. The punchline of the book, if you will, was that the reason no one had ever climbed Everest was because there were Martians living on it. (They liked the cold, the wind, and the thin atmosphere. Thought it was the nicest place on Earth.)

Talked about how proud he was to cash the check for the first story he ever sold. (I think it was for about 40 bucks.)

And then, a few months later, before his story was published, someone climbed Everest.

He wrote the editor who'd bought his story, offering to return the money, since his story couldn't possibly be published, now that it was scientifically inaccurate. The editor declined to take his money back, and explained that he thought the story would go over well, since Everest was a hot story at the time. His story was published a few months later.

So Arthur Clarke, when asked about science fiction's ability to predict the future, likes to point out that he once predicted, in writing, that Everest would never be climbed, two months after it was climbed.

:)

haha, i didn't see the dude in the "2009 movies" thread get any **** for posting someone else's list with picture's included.... and his post was huge too

i will however not apologize b/c of SLOW internet service!!!! :silly:

I didn't see any pictures in his post.

Oh, I know which one you mean. (I was thinking of the first post.)

Still, his page downloaded in 15-30 seconds, for me.

Archived