Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Oil Prices near $146 for first time ever

Goaldeje

Click Link for More:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i5TtajgUpSm7KY5jf-lCJGHBB-tAD91MC5EG0

Oil prices neared $146 a barrel Thursday for the first time ever on reports of declining U.S. stockpiles and the threat of conflict with Iran.

Comments by Saudi Arabia's oil minister suggesting his country had no immediate plans to boost production also lifted prices.

Expectations that the European Central Bank will raise interest rates later Thursday could further weaken the U.S. dollar and drive oil prices even higher, as investors turn to commodities as a hedge against a falling greenback, traders said.

By midday in Europe, light, sweet crude for August delivery rose $2.28 to a record $145.85 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

On Wednesday, the contract set a new closing record for floor trade at $143.57 — a full $2.60 above the previous close.

The latest spike means a barrel of crude has gone up by more than 50 percent since the end of last year, when oil was going for $96 a barrel.

In London, Brent crude futures rose to a trading record of $146.69 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange before retreating to $146.07, up $1.81.

"Even though the rise of European interest rates has been priced into oil, an official announcement by the ECB will still add momentum to oil prices," said Victor Shum, an analyst with Purvin & Gertz in Singapore.

The push above $145 a barrel was seen as a last technical barrier to prices hitting $150, in what analyst Olivier Jakob of Petromatrix in Switzerland called "the Morgan Stanley self fulfilling prophecy."

In early June, a prediction by Morgan Stanley analyst Ole Slorer that oil prices could reach $150 by the July 4 weekend caused the Nymex contract to jump nearly $11 in a single day.

Speaking Thursday in Madrid, Saudi Arabia's oil minister, Ali Naimi, left the door open for increased output, but said the kingdom's oil customers were satisfied and that no production growth was planned for now.

Click Link for More:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i5TtajgUpSm7KY5jf-lCJGHBB-tAD91MC5EG0

They are predicting 170$ a barrel in the next few months. The last two weeks prices have gone up 10$... Two dollars last thursday and Friday, and three dollars just yesterday...

Until their is a plan to stop it.. we are just going to go up up up up.. a few dollars a day..

They are predicting 170$ a barrel in the next few months. The last two weeks prices have gone up 10$... Two dollars last thursday and Friday, and three dollars just yesterday...

Until their is a plan to stop it.. we are just going to go up up up up.. a few dollars a day..

I'm just trying to figure out what the breaking point is..Not just here in the US, but around the world (rioting. protests, etc)...I can see in the near future countries gearing up for confrontation against speculators, OPEC, and Oil producing countries...Oil wars anyone?

-Grant

I can't wait til gas reaches $5.00 a gal.

I made a prediction it would get there by the end of summer.

It's already that at some stations here in LA-LA land.

Crazy, but we all should have seen this coming. The days of the SUV and other gas guzzlers like mine are over.

It's already that at some stations here in LA-LA land.

Crazy, but we all should have seen this coming. The days of the SUV and other gas guzzlers like mine are over.

Yea that's what everyone said in the 1970's. We need to get off oil completely, and leave OPEC, IRAN, Saudi Arabia, and the Oil Companies to hell...even if that means to support the building of more Nuke plants to support electric cars.

-Grant

Just think, we are cutting emissions and helping third world countries economies even more.

Feel better now?...it's for a good cause.

Just wait till we add a carbon tax on top of it :laugh:

Archived