Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two-Tight-End Sets Work in Redskins' Favor

Thinking Skins

Found this interesting article:

Two-Tight-End Sets Work in Redskins' Favor

by Jack Anderson

When the Redskins drafted tight end Fred Davis with a second-round pick, many fans' initial reaction was that the pick was wasted. After all, Chris Cooley held down the ship more than adequately last season. He has been a huge favorite in DC, and moving him did not appear to be option.

Jim Zorn reassured fans that Cooley would still be a factor, and that Davis was brought in to help form a quality, two-tight-end set.

Cooley was the top target of QB Jason Campbell last season, hauling in 66 passes for 786 yards and eight TDs. Campbell established a strong rapport with Cooley, and he was more consistent in his throws when passing to the tight end.

Davis was the nation's finest, collegiate tight end last year, winning the John Mackey award for the top tight end in the country. His addition, upon further examination, is a good one.

Campbell's accuracy and confidence increased when throwing to tight ends last season. He wasn't the same when throwing to WRs. Maybe it was the drops that plagued them early on, or maybe it was the size difference (Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El are both significantly shorter than Cooley), but whatever the case, Campbell missed throws to WRs that he didn't miss to TEs.

So Zorn decided to play to Campbell's strength and stole another TE for him. Davis was the best player available at that point, so Zorn decided to take a chance.

click on the link for the rest of the story.

I like this story and I think it plays into a more significant issue. I don't have the stats on Campbell's accuracy on the short routes, but it has been a consistent criticism of Campbell on these throws, dating back to 2006 when he first started. I know that JC throws a pretty forceful pass, which is quite different from Brunell's and Collins's. But this gives some more positive opinions on how Davis could be a great help to Campbell this season. I've wondered about this guy's route running abilities, and it seems that he's a pretty good route runner. If he can catch JC's passes over the middle early in the season, especially early on while the two rookie WRs are still learning, it can really help us progress our offense.

I will get bashed for this but I you can put this down in the books, Santana Moss and ARE will NOT be Redskins in the 2010 season (possibly even 2009 depending on how the new guys work out)

I definitley think that is an overstatement. They both didn't put up the numbers to be dominate WR's in the league. Moss has put up solid numbers for two years, although he is constantly hurt. I can't say that scenario hasn't run through my head, but Santana is our guy at the moment.

depending on how Tryon and maybe another youngster does at returning, I don't think Randle El will be here after this season. Contract salaries usually accelerate anyways between the 3rd and 4th season. I think Moss stays as our pure deep threat.

A tight end is a young quarterback's best friend, so having two good ones can only help Campbell.

The problem isn't Davis' existence. The problem is that, barring a series of miracles along the defensive line, the pick probably would have been better spent injecting some youth into that unit.

I will get bashed for this but I you can put this down in the books, Santana Moss and ARE will NOT be Redskins in the 2010 season (possibly even 2009 depending on how the new guys work out)

barring catastrophic injury or pressure to get below a salary cap,you couldn't be anymore wrong

Moss has proven he can play at a high level as has Randle El

they're just prone to nagging injuries like pulls and strains.

Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly would need to come in and dominate to just become starters,and we aren't in any immediate cap stress and I'm sure the team would prefer to have Moss/ARE/Kelly/Thomas.

to even fathom cutting Moss and ARE both Kelly and Thomas would have to be good WR's. Right now they haven't played a single game.

maybe one of the 2 rookies is a bust?not as good as advertised or suffers a serious injury within the next 2 years?

good chance that tag will apply to atleast 1 of them when all is said and done,and your saying we'll cut moss and Randle El by next offseason?

from a personnel standpoint that's just stupid on so many levels,your gambling on unproven talent,and your throwing out a player(s) that have been effective at the NFL level.

depending on how Tryon and maybe another youngster does at returning, I don't think Randle El will be here after this season. Contract salaries usually accelerate anyways between the 3rd and 4th season. I think Moss stays as our pure deep threat.

Yeah, I think Moss will be kept around, depending on how he does this year. He's moving back to the "deep threat" role, the role he excelled in in 2005 and 2003 (with the Jets).

ARE is probably gone after this season - looks like his best days as a returner are behind him, and he's no better than an 800/4 guy at wideout.

Brunell and Collins have weak arms. Campbell has a cannon for a arm. I guess you can say that A Mix played with JC in College ansd is a big target. That having a taller receiver would give a QB a larger target to throw to in a wider scope. Two tightends will cause match up nightmares for a defense. Moss and Randel El are short in stature, but are quicker making the defense put a single CB on them. This is going to work.

I find it amusing that when we actually get good depth at a position that people want to get rid of that depth.

I don't see Moss and ARE going anywhere anytime soon. I think ARE will benefit by moving back to slot. I think he was miscast as an outside receiver. As for Moss, I wonder if some of his recent problems is from the fact that he's not used to a hard thrower throwing to him, being that he's had Pennington and Brunell throwing to him for most of his career. I hope he learns to adjust.

I find it amusing that when we actually get good depth at a position that people want to get rid of that depth.

My thinking exactly :applause: ...With our only other options at wr being Thrash (who will be gone before either Moss or ARE) and Mix (who's TALL), we would be fools to get rid of either one next year or even the year after that, even if both Thomas and Kelly end up panning out for us. Restructure their contracts? Sure. Give Kelly and Thomas more playing time eventually? No problem. Cutting both Moss and ARE outright because "we don't need them anymore"? Shortsighted and insane.

I like the Davis pick to a degree, and I now won't have to hold my breath every time Cooley gets up slowly (or Moss or ARE either, isn't that nice?), but my only question about the two tight end set thing is this: Couldn't Sellers do it? He's a good receiver, and about the size of an O lineman. Why not have him in there? I guess we can now run a pretty sick jumbo package, wish we had that option the last two years.

Also, I am really beginning to like Todd Yoder a lot. I hope he still gets some PT because he is a pretty damn good #2 TE. Great #3.

Good article. I've also said I believe it makes sense because it gives JC better redzone targets, and redzone was our weakest point, IMO, last season. I know we have 2 rookie WRs to help in the redzone also, but as other posters have pointed out, rookie WRs rarely contribute a ton their first year. Rookie TEs however....

A tight end is a young quarterback's best friend, so having two good ones can only help Campbell.

The problem isn't Davis' existence. The problem is that, barring a series of miracles along the defensive line, the pick probably would have been better spent injecting some youth into that unit.

I knew when we drafted Davis(although I was not initially happy with it), that 2 tight end sets would definately help our offense out. While our young receivers are still developing, we can run these 2TE sets whille drive defenses bonkers. I can't wait to see what Zorn does with them during the season.

I was too. And i was definately favoring a DE instead of Davis. But the more I read about his Cooley-like abilities, sure hands, and good route running abilities, the more I think that he can help out JC more than any of our draft picks.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2008/03/31/pros-and-cons-usc-te-fred-davis/

[quoote]Davis has great hands and rarely drops a pass. He is a team leader. He is athletic and a great route runner. Davis is quick and knows how to separate from from defenders and get open.

I'm not sold on it, but we'll see how it works out.

I will say this though. If Davis doesnt provide much on offense, Daneils plays like 35 year old and James is still not up to speed, people are gonna want Vinny's head for taking a TE over a DE.

The thing about Davis vs a DE is that I'm more confident that our Defense can remain respectable and develop under Blache than I am that JC could have a breakout season establishing himself as the starting QB of the Redskins with last year's group of WRs. Even the drafting of Thomas (and eventually Kelly) was probably due to some speculation as WRs take time to develop and I don't want the success or failure of our QB to be dependant on throwing to what was the worse WR group in the NFC East last year and some rookies who, even if good WRs may not pan out until 2 or 3 years from now.

I contrast that with the possibility of adding a DE which could sure up our pass ruch problems and possibly rank us up there in the 40+ area of sacks, possibly moving us to a top 3 or 4 defense. But do you really want a top 3 or 4 defense and middle of the road offense, where at the end of another year the entire organization is wondering if Jason Campbell is ever going to be an elite QB or just another first round bust?

At least now we've put the weapons in JC's hands that he should be able to make some significant progress if not this year, then definately by the time his contract expires. And if he doesn't, then we will have more confidence that it wasn't because he didn't have the weapons around him (like some say is the reason that Ramsey didn't succeed here).

I like this story and I think it plays into a more significant issue. I don't have the stats on Campbell's accuracy on the short routes, but it has been a consistent criticism of Campbell on these throws, dating back to 2006 when he first started. I know that JC throws a pretty forceful pass, which is quite different from Brunell's and Collins's. But this gives some more positive opinions on how Davis could be a great help to Campbell this season. I've wondered about this guy's route running abilities, and it seems that he's a pretty good route runner. If he can catch JC's passes over the middle early in the season, especially early on while the two rookie WRs are still learning, it can really help us progress our offense.

Many young QBs have problems with touch. People act like this is unique to Campbell. For every bad short/intermediate throw he had last season, he in return had a good one. I agree though about the optimism. Three pass catchers Campbell can look at eye to eye can only be a positive thing.

Even with our passing game issues (at times), I still feel ARE had a good season. It's Moss who fell off until December when he was the Moss of '05 again.

Archived