Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adrian Peterson said the Skins were the toughest defense he faced

SmallDaddy

We were riding on lots of emotion during that game. Good thing we got rid of Greg Williams huh.

The thing that worries me the most isn't the offense getting used to Zorn's new WCO. It's that because coach Williams isn't around anymore, I fear the D will have a measured drop-off in intensity. Even if they run the exact same schemes, it won't matter. Williams had a great talent at getting guys to play hard and with reckless abandon.

and yet ESPN Scout Inc. "experts" think we'll have the worst D in the NFCE this season :doh:

i'll take a players word over a scout Inc. any day of the year.....isn't funny a day later that something like comes out after Scout Inc. didn't even give us credit to our D. Pukes must not got AP on there payroll...:laugh:

The thing that worries me the most isn't the offense getting used to Zorn's new WCO. It's that because coach Williams isn't around anymore, I fear the D will have a measured drop-off in intensity. Even if they run the exact same schemes, it won't matter. Williams had a great talent at getting guys to play hard and with reckless abandon.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

althogh it's a good ? mark i would not think to much of it...remember dallas went though the same overhall last year. Tuna left and Bum Phillips came in and ran the 3-4 better then Tuna did the year B4..and i think that Bum isn't that guy with talent to get his guy's to play hard with reckless abandon. He just treats them like men so i hear from there camp..i do believe GB is going the same...

you do know Blanche was very successful as the bears DC

We were riding on lots of emotion during that game. Good thing we got rid of Greg Williams huh.

I'm pretty sure we're keeping the defense the same, but Blache will be the coordinator. He knows the defense well. Nothing's gonna change, don't worry.

Should be interesting to see how Blache works out, I'll wait and see. Only 2 things concern me about him.

From what I read he's intense but not as intense as Gregg.

And he wants to run a more simplified version of Gregg's defense.

Now if the Redskins D was largerly a by product of Gregg's intense spirit and his sophisticated blitz schemes -- then we are in trouble becuase that seems to be what will be the missing ingredients with Gregg gone.

If that wasn't it. Then we should be fine.

I disagree. :)

Purely on speculation, I think there are a few reasons why players will play harder for Blache than Williams.

Williams put players in the dog house for no good reason that we know of (good reasons would include (IMO): failing to show at practice, poor play, off-field problems, malcontent, etc). Archuletta wasn't the best safety but he wasn't horrible. Besides, you can't bench the highest paid safety in the league (at the time). Also, we know Arrington's story...

I don't think many would contest that he had a huge ego. He believed the success of the defense was attributed to the scheme (his scheme) and not the players. Unfortunately, the releases of Pierce, Ryan Clark, and Smoot (at the time) caused us to be shorted at those positions. Only until we got Fletcher was MLB secure (Marshall was decent but isn't near Pierce or Fletcher). If I remember right, we let Clark go and then picked up Archuletta... And because of the loss of Smoot, we were forced to get Rogers with an early first round pick.

The positives of Blache? He's a jolly guy. He's humerous and light hearted. Above all else, he puts the weight on the players' shoulders. He trusts his players to use their instincts, rather than them having to be in position.

While I know players have loved G. Williams, I can't help but be enthusiastic with G. Blache.

And Williams lost the dressing room in his penultimate season....

But all that aside our run D last season was everything it wasn't the year before. Our whole DL did great against the run and set up the runner well, minus the blockers, for our LBers.

There's no worse way to lose than by being run on up the middle. Landry may be our most talented player. Portis may be the most influential. Montgomery is my favourite though. When Montgomery plays no one runs up the middle. When no one runs up the middle it's easier to stop them round the edge. As AD found :D

It will be interesting to see how Peterson goes this season with the extra attention he will get. I think he'll still be good to watch :2cents:.

It will be interesting to see how Peterson goes this season with the extra attention he will get. I think he'll still be good to watch :2cents:.

Dude, after about the first 5 games of the season I think he was already getting a bunch of extra attention considering he was looking impressive and everyone knew the Vikes had pretty much no passing game to speak of. But I agree, it will be interesting to watch his Sophomore year in the NFL.

Not so much.

1999: 20th in points, 29th in yards

2000: 20th in points, 16th in yards

2001: 1st in points, 15th in yards (Passing defense was...horrible, 31st)

2002: 25th in points, 25th in yards

2003: 22nd in points, 14th in yards

Sorry, but that isnt near what Williams did. In fact it's the opposite, 4 crappy years, one good scoring defense that still gave up a good chunk of change. If we had this kind of defenses for a couple years, the guy would be fired.

The talk of Williams' 'tensity is hilarious... We had a guy named Joe Gibbs who won a few 'ships that never managed to show much 'tensity... Greg Blache is a guy that's been around for a few years now and the players know and respect him... When Williams was here it was all about his "schemes" and the guy was the highest paid assistant coach in the league... The Redskins have had good defenses over the years and I'd like to give credit. Do I think assistant coaches are overrated in the NFL? Yes, I do... If the Redskins have a healthy secondary, healthy LB corps, and are healthy up front I think this defense can be just as good as last season. They might regress a little but as long as our anemic offense can start producing with the playmakers we added we'll be a better football team. We're fine with Blatche.

Why does everyone seem to dismiss Greg Blache, like he is a push over? Greg Blache and Gregg Williams shared the same intensity. But Greg Blache isnt as arrogant.

Not so much.

1999: 20th in points, 29th in yards

2000: 20th in points, 16th in yards

2001: 1st in points, 15th in yards (Passing defense was...horrible, 31st)

2002: 25th in points, 25th in yards

2003: 22nd in points, 14th in yards

Sorry, but that isnt near what Williams did. In fact it's the opposite, 4 crappy years, one good scoring defense that still gave up a good chunk of change. If we had this kind of defenses for a couple years, the guy would be fired.

Yeah and Greg Blache didnt have ALL the talent that Greg Williams had with the skins.

Brian urlacher is a testiment of Greg Blache.

Archived