Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adrian Peterson said the Skins were the toughest defense he faced

SmallDaddy

It will be very interesting to see how our d responds to Blache. He was successful in Chicago and did well with the lack of talent we have on the defensive line. I really feel our defense will be fine. Maybe not as intense as the last five weeks of the season, but possibly top third of the league.

and yet ESPN Scout Inc. "experts" think we'll have the worst D in the NFCE this season :doh:

Man Bubba I think they might be right.

The Cowboys defense is ridiculous

The Giants might have lost Strahan, but with Osi and Pierce they still are good.

The Eagles Secondary is nice, with or without Lito Shepard.

Then you have us, besides Carter our Pass rush is iffy. Our secondary is biliary, and we have to key players coming off of injuries.

Now I am not saying that we have the worst defense in the league. I am just saying we have the fourth best defense in the NFC East RIGHT NOW.

Man Bubba I think they might be right.

The Cowboys defense is ridiculous

The Giants might have lost Strahan, but with Osi and Pierce they still are good.

The Eagles Secondary is nice, with or without Lito Shepard.

Then you have us, besides Carter our Pass rush is iffy. Our secondary is biliary, and we have to key players coming off of injuries.

Now I am not saying that we have the worst defense in the league. I am just saying we have the fourth best defense in the NFC East RIGHT NOW.

Even though we finished ahead of NY and Dallas in points per game allowed and ahead of Philly and Dallas in YPG we're fourth best? That makes no sense.

I'm with you on that as well. Hence my thread on trying Rinehart at RT in preason this year I had going last week.

But I try to remain realistic about our squad. We have some good players, and then we have players that only skins fans think are good. I think this year will be a tough one for us, but I think if we dont have major busts from our draft picks we could be quite good next year.

morne...the thing about the NFL these days is that there are no teams with an excess of talent. adequate talent coupled to a strong coaching staff (with some luck in the injury dept) and a Championship run is easily in the cards. this is how the NFL braintrust have set up the whole system

I agree with your assessment of the defense. in my mind, the difference these last 4 years has always been the coaching. coaching took decent talent and forged a formiddable TEAM approach. that is why all this nonsense on Williams is so deplorable. he was the difference and should be showered with accolades by all Redskin fans - whether they care for his personality or not. the thing about Blache is....can he be as good a coach as Williams? I certainly hope so......but that respect has to be earned....just like GW did.

Also, the definition of best defense highly depends on your value system. If you consider yards (total defense as it is considered in rankings) than the order last season was: Giants, Skins, Boys, Eagles at 7-10 respectively. If you go by points allowed, then the rankings are: Eagles, Skins, Cowboys, Giants at 9, 11, 13, and 17 respectively.

The Giants have lost Mitchell and Strahan, among others, and haven't added much. The Cowboys added Zach Thomas, and Pac-man who might not even play (he shouldn't but Goodell will prob. flop because the media darlings picked him up). The Skins lost Taylor, and Rogers won't start right away, but the team played half a season without the guys, and still finished better than Dallas in both ranking terms. And this was with Rocky going down, and Washington playing injured almost all season.

So I'm not going to buy this hype about Dallas or the Giants. Sacks may be flashy and sparkly, but in the end the Skins D was better than either the Giants or Boys when it came to points allowed, which is the most important stat for defense.

So I'm not going to buy this hype about Dallas or the Giants. Sacks may be flashy and sparkly, but in the end the Skins D was better than either the Giants or Boys when it came to points allowed, which is the most important stat for defense.

Williams' defenses measured by your most important stat:

2004: 3rd in the league

2005: 9th in the league

2006: 27th in the league

2007: 11th in the league

RE: Phillip Daniels

DT: Keith Traylor

DT: Ted Washington

LE: Brian Robinson

OLB: Warrick Holdman

MLB: Brian Urlacher

OLB: Colvin

CB: RW McQuarters

CB: Walt Harris

CB: Jerry Azumah

FS: Mike Brown

SS: Tony Parrish

And this defense you used to argue that Blache's defenses lacked talent is pretty damn stacked. Their D line is better than ours. Their linebackers are about as good as ours. And their secondary is at least almost as good.

Please just stop this exercise in blind homerism and admit that there is little evidence to support a belief that Blache is as good of a coordinator as Williams. I hope he proves me wrong, but right now it's looking like a downgrade.

Williams' defenses measured by your most important stat:

2004: 3rd in the league

2005: 9th in the league

2006: 27th in the league

2007: 11th in the league

And this defense you used to argue that Blache's defenses lacked talent is pretty damn stacked. Their D line is better than ours. Their linebackers are about as good as ours. And their secondary is at least almost as good.

Please just stop this exercise in blind homerism and admit that there is little evidence to support a belief that Blache is as good of a coordinator as Williams. I hope he proves me wrong, but right now it's looking like a downgrade.

Thanks for bringing up the GW D stats. Good thing I never said GW sucked as D coord while he was here. Even after 2006. Hell, I put my sig on the lin in July '07 saying GW would have the D back in the top 10.

And your perception of the Bears players is only favorable to support your argument. If you honestly think Daniels, Robinson, Washington and Traylor are better than Daniels, Griffin, Monty, and Carter, then there really is no hope for you.

Urlacher is a great LBer. But at MLB, Fletch is right behind him. The tandem of Colvin and Holdman doesn't measure up to the tandem of Washington and McIntosh.

LMAO at McQuarters, Harris and Azumah having comparable talent to Springs, Rogers, and Smoot.

Nice probowl argument with Mike Brown. I guess that means Roy Williams is a great safety. :rolleyes:

Please just stop this execise in blind haterism. I never once said Blache is as good of a coord. as GW, I have only suggested he COULD be. Learn to comprehend instead of just putting words in people's mouths. Of course I also, in this very thread, have said I understand why people would view Blache as a downgrade from GW. You on the other hand, can only see your side of the argument, and can't admit Blache COULD be as good as GW was here.

I think the Defense will not drop off dramatically next year... In fact, I think the offense will help our defense maintain more consistency. I don't believe we'll see as many 3-and-outs by going conservative in the 2nd half. We tried not to lose, and that hurt the defense. I'd like to see a more wide open passing and running attack. We'll stretch the field from sideline to sideline and not play so many "tight" formations. I'm not as hopeful now as I was this time last year, but I didn't know we'd have so many injuries. :)

Nice probowl argument with Mike Brown. I guess that means Roy Williams is a great safety. :rolleyes:

At the possiblity of being nit-picky Brown was also a All Pro, which isnt much of a popularity contest. It's pretty legit. He is a very good player.

I think the Defense will not drop off dramatically next year... In fact, I think the offense will help our defense maintain more consistency. I don't believe we'll see as many 3-and-outs by going conservative in the 2nd half. We tried not to lose, and that hurt the defense. I'd like to see a more wide open passing and running attack. We'll stretch the field from sideline to sideline and not play so many "tight" formations. I'm not as hopeful now as I was this time last year, but I didn't know we'd have so many injuries. :)

I think will appy more to the 09' season than this year. This year I think we'll stuggle on offense while we learn the playbook, especially early.

Even though we finished ahead of NY and Dallas in points per game allowed and ahead of Philly and Dallas in YPG we're fourth best? That makes no sense.

I try not to look at stats when it comes to defense, espcially from last year. I look at talent and RIGHT NOW, I think we have the fourth best talented defense in the NFC East. I say RIGHT NOW because I have a storng feeling that our defense will be crazy and I have an even stronger feeling that London Flethcher will be a canidate for Defensive MVP. But RIGHT NOW, we have the fourth best defense in the NFC East

The thing that worries me the most isn't the offense getting used to Zorn's new WCO. It's that because coach Williams isn't around anymore, I fear the D will have a measured drop-off in intensity. Even if they run the exact same schemes, it won't matter. Williams had a great talent at getting guys to play hard and with reckless abandon.

Greg Blache is a hell of a motivator too. I don't think we are missing out on as much as you think.

Archived