Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adrian Peterson said the Skins were the toughest defense he faced

SmallDaddy

The thing that worries me the most isn't the offense getting used to Zorn's new WCO. It's that because coach Williams isn't around anymore, I fear the D will have a measured drop-off in intensity. Even if they run the exact same schemes, it won't matter. Williams had a great talent at getting guys to play hard and with reckless abandon.

I wouldn't worry too much. Greg Blache ran the Bears defense a few years ago when they limited talent and still were pretty good. He is the one that made Brian Urlacher who he is , even Urlacher has said that. Greg Blache may not seem intense when in interviews, but he is in the way he coaches. Who do you think whipped Anthony Montgomery into shape. They're running the same basic defense and have the same players. Coaches get far too much credit for what players do on the field. We'll be fine with Greg Blache at the helm. I gurantee you offenses won't get a 25 yard cushion to kill us underneath all day long.

Yeah and Greg Blache didnt have ALL the talent that Greg Williams had with the skins.

Brian urlacher is a testiment of Greg Blache.

I disagree. We dont have a hugely talented defense, and the Bears were not compley woeful talentwise in those years. Greg's first year here we had some scrubs and he did the most with that defense. And we have a much tougher schedual than the Bears ever did year in and year out.

Not so much.

1999: 20th in points, 29th in yards

2000: 20th in points, 16th in yards

2001: 1st in points, 15th in yards (Passing defense was...horrible, 31st)

2002: 25th in points, 25th in yards

2003: 22nd in points, 14th in yards

Sorry, but that isnt near what Williams did. In fact it's the opposite, 4 crappy years, one good scoring defense that still gave up a good chunk of change. If we had this kind of defenses for a couple years, the guy would be fired.

You're showing only part of the numbers just to prove your point. Here is what Wikipedia says about Blache's time with the Bears.

On Jan. 26, 2008, Blache was named defensive coordinator of the Redskins. He had spent the previous four seasons leading the Redskins' defensive line unit. Blache previously was defensive coordinator in Chicago. In 2003, Blache's Chicago defense finished the season fifth in the NFC in total defense, and 14th in the NFL, the team's highest league overall-ranking since the 1998 season.

During his tenure, Blache's defenses forced 138 turnovers, including 37 in 2001, the most by a Bears defense since 1990, and accounted for 13 touchdowns (two in 1999, four in 2000, five in 2001, one in 2002, and one in 2003).

In 2002, Blache dealt with numerous injuries, leading to 11 different starting line-ups over the course of 16 games. While juggling personnel, the Bears defense continued with their attacking, aggressive style that set records during the 2001 season.

They forced 64 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and reached a league plateau by forcing at least one turnover in 33 consecutive games, the second longest active streak in the NFL at the time.

In 2001, Blache molded the Bears defense into one of the top units in the league, producing the top-ranked scoring defense by allowing only 203 points in 16 games (12.7 points per game). His run defense finished second in the NFL and first in the NFC, allowing just 82.1 yards per game, while allowing only three rushes of 20 yards or more all seasons and only six rushing touchdowns.

I wouldn't worry too much. Greg Blache ran the Bears defense a few years ago when they limited talent and still were pretty good.

They actually sucked for the most part, and had some good players.

He is the one that made Brian Urlacher who he is , even Urlacher has said that. Greg Blache may not seem intense when in interviews, but he is in the way he coaches. Who do you think whipped Anthony Montgomery into shape. They're running the same basic defense and have the same players. Coaches get far too much credit for what players do on the field. We'll be fine with Greg Blache at the helm. I gurantee you offenses won't get a 25 yard cushion to kill us underneath all day long.

After looking at the pass defense for the Bears I'm not so sure. Even in their best year, the best Blache could muster was 13th in yards. Overal passing defense tended to be worse. Of course part of that might be because he doesnt care much about sacks.

The thing that worries me the most isn't the offense getting used to Zorn's new WCO. It's that because coach Williams isn't around anymore, I fear the D will have a measured drop-off in intensity. Even if they run the exact same schemes, it won't matter. Williams had a great talent at getting guys to play hard and with reckless abandon.

And what makes you think Blache doesn't? The players have already responded saying they like how Blache is simplifying things. And it was either Fletcher or Washington who said GW didn't want to be as agressive, and that a lot of the agressiveness came from Blache. (Though I could be wrong, or slightly off, on my interpretation here.)

That being said, I don't blame anyone for having doubts our D will be as good as they have been. GW is a great D-coord, and losing him certainly merits those doubts. I do like what I've seen and heard from Blache so far though.

They actually sucked for the most part, and had some good players.

After looking at the pass defense for the Bears I'm not so sure. Even in their best year, the best Blache could muster was 13th in yards. Overal passing defense tended to be worse. Of course part of that might be because he doesnt care much about sacks.

Again all you do is focus on what Blache did with the Bears. C'mon man, can't you at least acknowledge the good things Balche has done with the Redskins? You don't think working under GW for 4 years may have helped Blache improve at all? There were good aspects of those Bears defenses, but none of those Bears D's had the amount of talent that our D does.

Blache will be fine.

Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls (and went to four) with Richie Petibon as his DC, and Petibon was about intense as a fig newton.

However, his defenses were still good.

I'm not worried about Blache and his "intensity level". :rolleyes: :laugh:

The Blache in Chicago stuff is a bit off topic, and I really don't want to hijack the thread but here are his D's overall and pts allowed rankings during his tenure in Chicago (99-03). *Note, in 2002 the D had so many injuries Blache had 11 different starting line-ups in 16 games. Also, Blache typically didn't have the amount of talent as he does now in DC, largely in part to a cheap FO, but his D was known for it's aggressive, attacking style, something many on here have wanted to see more of for years.

99- 29th overall, 20th points allowed (21.3)

00- 16th overall, 20th points allowed (22.1)

01- 15th overall, 1st points allowed (12.7)

02- 25th overall, 25th points allowed (23.1)

03- 14th overall, 22 points allowed (21.6)

So what I see is a guys who inherited a crappy Bears team in '99, and improved the D each year until an absurd amount of injuries occurred in 2002. The D improved the year after again. Then Blache came to DC, and has assisted in a D that has been top 3, and has been top 10 3 of the last 4 years. Blache has brought along guys like Monty and Gholston, and rejuvenated Andre Carter's career. Our rush D has been a staple over the years, and most of that is attributed to our DL, which Blache has had control over.

You're showing only part of the numbers just to prove your point. Here is what Wikipedia says about Blache's time with the Bears.

On Jan. 26, 2008, Blache was named defensive coordinator of the Redskins. He had spent the previous four seasons leading the Redskins' defensive line unit. Blache previously was defensive coordinator in Chicago. In 2003, Blache's Chicago defense finished the season fifth in the NFC in total defense, and 14th in the NFL, the team's highest league overall-ranking since the 1998 season.

During his tenure, Blache's defenses forced 138 turnovers, including 37 in 2001, the most by a Bears defense since 1990, and accounted for 13 touchdowns (two in 1999, four in 2000, five in 2001, one in 2002, and one in 2003).

In 2002, Blache dealt with numerous injuries, leading to 11 different starting line-ups over the course of 16 games. While juggling personnel, the Bears defense continued with their attacking, aggressive style that set records during the 2001 season.

They forced 64 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and reached a league plateau by forcing at least one turnover in 33 consecutive games, the second longest active streak in the NFL at the time.

In 2001, Blache molded the Bears defense into one of the top units in the league, producing the top-ranked scoring defense by allowing only 203 points in 16 games (12.7 points per game). His run defense finished second in the NFL and first in the NFC, allowing just 82.1 yards per game, while allowing only three rushes of 20 yards or more all seasons and only six rushing touchdowns.

Good research my friend....but i dont think this will be enuff for all the nay sayers....!!...this is what i wanted to hear or atleast know and now i know....good find my friend....i do believe in GB

HTTR:helmet:

Again all you do is focus on what Blache did with the Bears. C'mon man, can't you at least acknowledge the good things Balche has done with the Redskins? You don't think working under GW for 4 years may have helped Blache improve at all? There were good aspects of those Bears defenses, but none of those Bears D's had the amount of talent that our D does.

What "good" are you talking about? This is what I know about Blache, he is not an attacking defensive guy. He plays a read and react defense and gives up alot of yards. He doesnt blitz much and he doesnt like to rush his ends a huge amount. He plays stop the run first and keep everything in front of you. We stopped seeing blitzes last year, and supposedly he called 60% of the plays.

And those Bears had some good players as well.

What he did there is relavent. He'll play run first, give up alot of yards in the air and not put much pressure on the QB.

Ditto. Blache isnt the coordnator that Williams was and I think we're gonna see that.

Technically, Blache has always been the defensive coordinator. Gregg Williams was "Assistant Head Coach - Defense."

I don't buy that it was all Williams's doing.

What "good" are you talking about? This is what I know about Blache, he is not an attacking defensive guy. He plays a read and react defense and gives up alot of yards. He doesnt blitz much and he doesnt like to rush his ends a huge amount. He plays stop the run first and keep everything in front of you. We stopped seeing blitzes last year, and supposedly he called 60% of the plays.

And those Bears had some good players as well.

What he did there is relavent. He'll play run first, give up alot of yards in the air and not put much pressure on the QB.

I'm talking about how our rush D has been one of the best 3 of the last 4 years under Blache, and the players he has developed. C'mon man, at least address what I say, instead of thinking I didn't say it. You honestly think there wasn't anything good from Blache? You follow this team too, so you know there was some good things from Blache, ignoring them and only focusing on negatives doesn't make you right.

And seeing as most write-ups of Balche's tenure in Chicago describe his D as aggressive and attacking, and seeing as Skins players attributed our aggressiveness and attacking last season to Blache, I'm going to believe those people over someone who will only look at the bad side of Blache, instead of at the whole picture.

I never said what Blache did in Chicago wasn't relevant, which is why I posted how the Bears D ranked then. I simply said you tend to focus solely on that part of Balche's tenure, instead of his overall tenure in the NFL.

Wow.................

Actually Blache was the Defensive Line coach.

Actually, you're wrong, just like a lot of sports media people who referred to Williams as DC over the past few years. The team always defined Blache as the defensive coordinator and Williams as AHC - Defense, as I said before. I forgive your misguided arrogance, though.

The point is, nobody here really knows anything about the inner workings of the team. Nobody knows what Williams's and Blache's responsibilities really were, and nobody knows what Blache's job is now, except for members of the organization.

I choose to believe that Blache can be just as good a defensive coordinator as he was in Chicago, and that was pretty good. So I'm not expecting a big dropoff in performance this year.

Not so much.

1999: 20th in points, 29th in yards

2000: 20th in points, 16th in yards

2001: 1st in points, 15th in yards (Passing defense was...horrible, 31st)

2002: 25th in points, 25th in yards

2003: 22nd in points, 14th in yards

Sorry, but that isnt near what Williams did. In fact it's the opposite, 4 crappy years, one good scoring defense that still gave up a good chunk of change. If we had this kind of defenses for a couple years, the guy would be fired.

What makes you believe this?

the answer

The Blache in Chicago stuff is a bit off topic, and I really don't want to hijack the thread but here are his D's overall and pts allowed rankings during his tenure in Chicago (99-03). *Note, in 2002 the D had so many injuries Blache had 11 different starting line-ups in 16 games. Also, Blache typically didn't have the amount of talent as he does now in DC, largely in part to a cheap FO, but his D was known for it's aggressive, attacking style, something many on here have wanted to see more of for years.

99- 29th overall, 20th points allowed (21.3)

00- 16th overall, 20th points allowed (22.1)

01- 15th overall, 1st points allowed (12.7)

02- 25th overall, 25th points allowed (23.1)

03- 14th overall, 22 points allowed (21.6)

So what I see is a guys who inherited a crappy Bears team in '99, and improved the D each year until an absurd amount of injuries occurred in 2002. The D improved the year after again. Then Blache came to DC, and has assisted in a D that has been top 3, and has been top 10 3 of the last 4 years. Blache has brought along guys like Monty and Gholston, and rejuvenated Andre Carter's career. Our rush D has been a staple over the years, and most of that is attributed to our DL, which Blache has had control over.

sums it up pretty well, steady improvement on a horrible team, reaching #1 in points allowed in3 years is some successful coaching, even if the next year they were ravaged by injures... (Skins '06? anyone?)

Is it supposed to encourage me that the best he could do was 14th in the NFL?

This is the one area of our D I actually expect Blache to improve. GW's schemes were not the best at creating turnovers. It sounds like Blache's defenses were much more successful in that regard.

This paragraph isn't really saying anything good, it's just explaining why they sucked on D that year.

Alright, he had one outstanding year and a bunch of subpar years. All the while, his defense was effective at forcing turnovers. I'll take Gregg Williams, please. The man built one of the top 5 defenses over the past 5 years (Ravens, Bears, Bucs, Jags)...Blache is a respected veteran, but looking at his resume I don't quite see that second G yet.

Wow.................

Actually Blache was the Defensive Line coach.

Why so much negativity towards GB?....Do you really feel with the talent that we have that are D. will fall off that much? That our D is going to be at the bottom tear of the league?...

Archived