Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

it's 4th & 1 and you're Jim Zorn???

Gart Monk

First of all, why did we pass on 2nd and 1.........or even 3rd and 1?

This is good, aggressive playcalling. Passing on second and one offers the opportunity to go for a big gain or even a TD with the lowest risk possible. On the + 36 the odds still favor going for it on fourth down, so we get two shots at big gains with minimal risk.

Also, everyone talking about Kelly, Thomas and Davis being out there and running a play to them needs to tap the brakes a little. Those guys are important future cornerstones. But it is HIGHLY unlikely they are on the field at all early in their rookie seasons. It usually takes players at least one season to get NFL ready.

First offensive series of the first game in their rookie years when the team is going for it on 4th and 1? No way the rooks are out there.

I completely agree. Alot of people around here arent being very realistic in their expectations with these guys.

As for my call, I'd probably run Portis behind Samuels and Kendall with Sellers leading the way or punt, depending on my mood.

Run it up the gut.

In this area of the field a FG is doubtful and a punt is really a waste. This is basically a free down. Use it to run!

If we make the first, we grab some momentum. If we don't we hold 'em three and out and then try again. The D will be charged up that we came out aggresively, even if we miss the first.

My bad, I read that wrong. I go for it simply because I hate the thought of kicking 53 yards for a FG and if I punt theres a good chance it becomes a touchback...

Bingo! I'd call a playfake and roll Campbell out so he can run or pass to Cooley coming off his block.

I say we down the ball and bring our Defense on the field, they will in turn cause a fumble by Eli we pick it up and run all the way to the house for a score then we go for the two. Oh, and the icing on the cake not to be too mean but Eli is out for at least 6 weeks.

Thursday Night 09/04/08

NFL Opener at New York Giants

Redskins win toss(Rock returns it to the NYG 45):silly:

1st down: Portis runs right 9yds

2nd down: Incomplete pass 0yds

3rd down: Incomplete pass 0yds

it's 4th & 1 on NYG 36 on primetime opening drive

What play do you call?

Here's what previous Redskins coaches would have done:

Norv Turner: Go for it, team makes stupid penalty. Now 4th and 6. Norv shakes head like idiot (again!!!!). Punts. Bring out Prevent D. Lose in 4th Qtr.

Steve Spurrier: Run 40 Yard Sprint Bomb. Of course nobody protects the QB and he gets sacked (again!!!!!). Coach promises to "Coach 'em up" next week. Fans buy it. Goes out and plays golf instead.

Gibbs 1.0- 70 Chip. Wins Superbowl. Hogs tell opposing team what they're running. Runs over defenders anyway.

Gibbs 2.0 Runs exact same play in same hole with same formation. Gets stopped. Lose game for playing too conservative after having early lead (see Giants at Redskins 2007).

Timeout!

Talk about it on the sidelines.

Call the play, get to the line, read defense.......

Timeout!

Take penalty and punt!

Brooks punts ball, is downed at the 1 yard line and play some "D".

Seriously, you go for it right up the gut.

Gibbs,

You can't call back to back timeouts. :doh: :laugh:

Anyhoo, surprised no one said "Heavy Jumbo". :D

Norv Turner: Go for it, team makes stupid penalty. Now 4th and 6. Norv shakes head like idiot (again!!!!). Punts. Bring out Prevent D. Lose in 4th Qtr.

Steve Spurrier: Run 40 Yard Sprint Bomb. Of course nobody protects the QB and he gets sacked (again!!!!!). Coach promises to "Coach 'em up" next week. Fans buy it. Goes out and plays golf instead.

Gibbs 1.0- 70 Chip. Wins Superbowl. Hogs tell opposing team what they're running. Runs over defenders anyway.

Gibbs 2.0 Runs exact same play in same hole with same formation. Gets stopped. Lose game for playing too conservative after having early lead (see Giants at Redskins 2007).

You just brought back so many bad memories :(

Anybody who thinks we lost the Giants game because we played conservatively needs to study the game again. We got up 17-3 by playing conservatively! We then went wide open until it was too late. First possession of second half include two deep passes to Moss and second possession included two pass plays. By our next possession, game was tied and in the fourth. These results, the failed kill-shot attempt in the first Philadelphia game, the Green Bay game and our success against Detroit are WHY Gibbs played so conservatively. We only lost 1 game because of conservative plays. Team never really showed that it was consitently capable of forcing the kill-shot.

Good question Gart.

My base answer is Portis/Betts (depends on who looked better in Pre-season)behind an in-motion Sellars on the left side.

However, if the third and one was that play as a play action, I would line up the same, in-motion Sellars the same and QB sneak.

:helmet: The Rook

Archived