Thursday Night 09/04/08

NFL Opener at New York Giants

Redskins win toss(Rock returns it to the NYG 45):silly:

1st down: Portis runs right 9yds

2nd down: Incomplete pass 0yds

3rd down: Incomplete pass 0yds

it's 4th & 1 on NYG 36 on primetime opening drive

What play do you call?

I'm going to break the mold and say punt, but let me explain my reason.

I don't want to risk giving the Giants the ball on the 36 yard line. All they have to do is get about 5 yards and they are in good FG position and I don't want to give them the chance to strike first.

Plus, they are the defending champs and playing at home so they have plenty of motivation so I don't want to give them any more momentum.

Now, if we were about 15 yards further up field I would most likely go for it.

First of all, why did we pass on 2nd and 1.........or even 3rd and 1?

Didn't a similar scenario happen in Dallas last season (not at the beginning of the game, but relatively early), and we missed a long FG attempt?

The first play from scrimmage will be a pass play to Cooley or Kelly for a first down. This scenario won't happen;).

Hail

First call would be to Todd to start warming up.

Second call would be to punt and try to pin the Giants inside their 5. Too far for a field goal. Too risky against a stout defense to go for it b/c they'll stack the box knowing JC can't run the WCO passing game (as shown on 2nd and 3rd down). If you go for it and don't make it, it's a bummer way to start the season. If you can pin them deep and make a huge field position swing, then you get something out of the drive even though it was a 3 and out.

Also, everyone talking about Kelly, Thomas and Davis being out there and running a play to them needs to tap the brakes a little. Those guys are important future cornerstones. But it is HIGHLY unlikely they are on the field at all early in their rookie seasons. It usually takes players at least one season to get NFL ready.

First offensive series of the first game in their rookie years when the team is going for it on 4th and 1? No way the rooks are out there.

First call would be to Todd to start warming up.

Second call would be to punt and try to pin the Giants inside their 5. Too far for a field goal. Too risky against a stout defense to go for it b/c they'll stack the box knowing JC can't run the WCO passing game (as shown on 2nd and 3rd down). If you go for it and don't make it, it's a bummer way to start the season. If you can pin them deep and make a huge field position swing, then you get something out of the drive even though it was a 3 and out.

:laugh: I didn't know you were so funny. :laugh:

Also, everyone talking about Kelly, Thomas and Davis being out there and running a play to them needs to tap the brakes a little. Those guys are important future cornerstones. But it is HIGHLY unlikely they are on the field at all early in their rookie seasons. It usually takes players at least one season to get NFL ready.

This seems to be trend with a lot of fans. I am not saying it can't happen with injuries and all. But these guys have to get use to the speed of the NFL. JZ could come up with some packages that he could use them in a set.

Archived