Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

i'm in the process of changing out a crankshaft position sensor on a 2001 santa fe. (sounds dirty, doesnt it? :) ) this, after i just swapped out an apparently perfectly functioning fuel pump. pretty smart.

god help me. what a pain in the rear.

In happy news, my car is fixed. :D The new mechanic I took it too found the problem in less than a day. It was the distributor. He removed it and installed a new one and I've had no problems since :D

When he showed me the old distributor, he dumped out all the metal shavings then was turning it and it squeaked like a metal on metal sound. Somehow this was interfering with the spark plugs (I think, I don't know) and causing my car to cut out.

I called the dealership that I had been going to and asked for a quote on getting a new distributor and it was over 3 times the amount the new mechanic charged me. Freaking unreal.

Anyway, the new mechanic is my hero, fixed my car quickly, kept me in the loop, and charged me a very reasonable price. He has a new customer for life and I am baking him an apple pie and bringing it to his shop when I get back to Colorado. :)

In happy news, my car is fixed. :D The new mechanic I took it too found the problem in less than a day. It was the distributor. He removed it and installed a new one and I've had no problems since :D

When he showed me the old distributor, he dumped out all the metal shavings then was turning it and it squeaked like a metal on metal sound. Somehow this was interfering with the spark plugs (I think, I don't know) and causing my car to cut out.

I called the dealership that I had been going to and asked for a quote on getting a new distributor and it was over 3 times the amount the new mechanic charged me. Freaking unreal.

Anyway, the new mechanic is my hero, fixed my car quickly, kept me in the loop, and charged me a very reasonable price. He has a new customer for life and I am baking him an apple pie and bringing it to his shop when I get back to Colorado. :)

If you own a car with a distributor you should:

A) Learn how to repair a distributor.

B) Buy a car from this century.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here or offer some possibilities. This just happened out of the blue today, twice, and I'm not sure what could cause it.

I was running low on gas this morning and stopped to fill my tank up on the way to work. After about 10 bucks worth the pump handle clicks off, like it thinks the tank is full...which I know it isn't. I was in a hurry and figured maybe the pump was just screwy after trying it a couple more times, so I let it be.

Tonight, on my way home I stopped again so I could actually fill the tank up (different station). The same thing happened after about 4 bucks worth. I started checking the opening to the tank after the nozzle would shut off, and it actually seemed like the tank WAS topping off or filling up, but then after a few seconds it would drain down in. I noticed that my fuel gauge is also sitting on empty even though there is no empty warning on the dash and I know i have about 15 bucks worth of gas in it.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I thought maybe the tank was backed up somehow or there was a valve in there that got out of whack, not allowing the gas to go in fast enough...but it just happened so suddenly and randomly. Any ideas would be appreciated. Would a complete fuel system cleaner help out possibly?

Edited by mistertim

If you own a car with a distributor you should:

A) Learn how to repair a distributor.

B) Buy a car from this century.

:ols:

Yeah, pretty much. I actually carry a spare dizzy in the trunk of my 89' Jetta....one piece of technology I don't miss at all. Crank/cam sensor and coil on plug is much better.

mistertim, next time you fill up, once you have the filler in the hole, change the angle that you hold it. Fuel nozzles have a sensor that once they get excessive splash-back, they will click off. I used to work at a servo, and was having to deal with this problem on a regular (daily) problem. We referred to it as a UIF - User Interface Fault.

Just move the filler to a different angle, and this should rectify the problem.

Edited by SkinnedAussie

I'd just crawl under the back and tap the tank with a wrench to see if it was full or not by the sound. Could be a stuck float, a bad gauge, or a bad LED in the console. My bet is a stuck float but then again, I'm normally wrong. Just tossing ideas out there.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here or offer some possibilities. This just happened out of the blue today, twice, and I'm not sure what could cause it.

I was running low on gas this morning and stopped to fill my tank up on the way to work. After about 10 bucks worth the pump handle clicks off, like it thinks the tank is full...which I know it isn't. I was in a hurry and figured maybe the pump was just screwy after trying it a couple more times, so I let it be.

Tonight, on my way home I stopped again so I could actually fill the tank up (different station). The same thing happened after about 4 bucks worth. I started checking the opening to the tank after the nozzle would shut off, and it actually seemed like the tank WAS topping off or filling up, but then after a few seconds it would drain down in. I noticed that my fuel gauge is also sitting on empty even though there is no empty warning on the dash and I know i have about 15 bucks worth of gas in it.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I thought maybe the tank was backed up somehow or there was a valve in there that got out of whack, not allowing the gas to go in fast enough...but it just happened so suddenly and randomly. Any ideas would be appreciated. Would a complete fuel system cleaner help out possibly?

What kind of vehicle is it?

On many GM models, the electrical portion of the float in the fuel tank often goes bad causing that very type of symptom. The resolution? Replace the fuel sending unit (which includes a float, electrical components and a fuel pump) which can often times be very pricey.

What kind of vehicle is it?

On many GM models, the electrical portion of the float in the fuel tank often goes bad causing that very type of symptom. The resolution? Replace the fuel sending unit (which includes a float, electrical components and a fuel pump) which can often times be very pricey.

Thanks, SpringfieldSkins. It is a 2005 Grand Cherokee. If the cause is the fuel sending unit, you have any guesses as to how much it might cost to get fixed? Is is usually necessary for everything to be replaced (float, electrical components, fuel pump)?

Do you know at all if it's low or full? After you filled with 10 dollars did the fuel gauge move at all?

JustAfan47

Could just be a sensitive vapor recovery unit on the gas station pump

(I assume ya'll have those)

Mine always kicks out early if I have a low tank unless I turn it upside down

I have a weird one that happened today. I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country. Today, I turned the right turn signal on and the left blinker came on the dash, and the left side lights came on as well. When I turn the left turn signal on, the left blinker and lights come on as normal. I tried the hazard signal and all lights came on as normal. So all the bulbs seem to work okay. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

my car lately seems like it is revving up when i am braking.. as i come to a stop or hitting the break, the rpm gauge goes up and then down.. and it seems like it takes way longer to pick up acceleration. any ideas? this car only has 7k miles on it... its a is250

my car lately seems like it is revving up when i am braking.. as i come to a stop or hitting the break, the rpm gauge goes up and then down.. and it seems like it takes way longer to pick up acceleration. any ideas? this car only has 7k miles on it... its a is250

Vacuum problem maybe?

Sounds like a warranty repair and there have been numerous complaints related to the brake override system

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could a completely seized wheel bearing blow out the differential in a FWD Automatic Transmission? I grenaded the differential on my transmission about 4 months ago and we rebuilt the transmission but are unable to test it yet. Reverse is fine, the car moves forward on it's own when put in drive but doesn't want to move pressing the gas. It almost feels like the emergency brake is on and it's making scratching noises. The car does go forward but if this is the reason the first transmission blew, we don't want to test until new wheel bearings get here. The seals on both of them are completely gone and even with the axels pulled you cannot turn the tires by hand. Thank You.