Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

Ask a Mechanic:  How important is it to have your regular maintenance performed on your vehicle in the first ~75k miles?

I have a 2010 F-150 with 50k miles on it.  really only done Jiffy Lube with one trip to Ford to fix a recall issue.  Should I get a mechanic to do an inspection at this point?

Ask a Mechanic: How important is it to have your regular maintenance performed on your vehicle in the first ~75k miles?

I have a 2010 F-150 with 50k miles on it. really only done Jiffy Lube with one trip to Ford to fix a recall issue. Should I get a mechanic to do an inspection at this point?

In general, a well maintained vehicle will cost less in the long run. How much less is up for debate.

• Like 1

If I feed seafoam through both the intake valve AND oil line....should I change my oil immediately afterwards? Or am I okay for another month or two?

Been doing it for years through the intake, but never the oil line

If I feed seafoam through both the intake valve AND oil line....should I change my oil immediately afterwards? Or am I okay for another month or two?

Been doing it for years through the intake, but never the oil line

I don't mess with seafoam myself so you're going to have to ask elsewhere.

• Like 1

brah....that seafoam show is for real.  burns off all kinds of built up crud

NOT my cars, but give you my word all of the older cars I've owned look like this after a seafoam treatment (while holding my foot on the gas):

maxresdefault.jpg

Seafoam_smoke.jpg

900751-Seafoam.jpg

Edited by Chew

brah....that seafoam show is for real.  burns off all kinds of built up crud

NOT my cars, but give you my word all of the older cars I've owned look like this after a seafoam treatment (while holding my foot on the gas):

that can't be good for the catalytic converter, ya can get better smoke clouds by adding transmission fluid to the gas. :P

So I have a beater Isuzu Rodeo ('01). Noticed a few days ago that it was having problems changing gears. There would be a delay when pressing down on the accelerator. Tried driving it down the road and it would rev loudly when changing gears. Started ut up this morning, and put it in reverse and it just sat there like it was in neutral. After mashing for several seconds, it moved, then got stuck again. I barely got it back in the parking space

My guess is its something to do with the solenoid. Im taking it in to get looked at tomorrow, but I just wanna know what general pricing range I could be looking at with this. Might take it for a second opinion too.

So I have a beater Isuzu Rodeo ('01). Noticed a few days ago that it was having problems changing gears. There would be a delay when pressing down on the accelerator. Tried driving it down the road and it would rev loudly when changing gears. Started ut up this morning, and put it in reverse and it just sat there like it was in neutral. After mashing for several seconds, it moved, then got stuck again. I barely got it back in the parking space

My guess is its something to do with the solenoid. Im taking it in to get looked at tomorrow, but I just wanna know what general pricing range I could be looking at with this. Might take it for a second opinion too.

is it a V6 auto?

With all the recurring problems, EVERYONE has, three things they should teach in school: personal finance, basic car repair, basic home repair, and basic cooking. 

we were home schooled in those, we even had advanced classes. ;)

• Like 3

With all the recurring problems, EVERYONE has, three things they should teach in school: personal finance, basic car repair, basic home repair, and basic cooking.

Outta likes

My wife got a flat in the middle of nowhere North Carolina back in the day, she changed her own tire.

Between that and her cooking, I knew ibwas gonna marry her

Yeah

Time to go car shopping.

You might just be low on fluid. Don't drive it, unless you're going to a mechanic. There is no way for the layman to check or add fluid to that trans, because Isuzu is dumb. I just picked up a Trooper like that. I've had several Rodeos like that.

Time to go car shopping.

You might just be low on fluid. Don't drive it, unless you're going to a mechanic. There is no way for the layman to check or add fluid to that trans, because Isuzu is dumb. I just picked up a Trooper like that. I've had several Rodeos like that.

Yeah thats what pisses me off. I have another car ('09 Honda Civic), but I drive the Rodeo a lot during the late fall/winter months

Car and house- I'm all thumbs. My Dad has such a mechanical mind. Can repair or build anything with ease. If I didn't look so much like him, I'd wonder if I was his kid.

The finance and cooking thing I've got. Guess I got that from Mom.

My "joke" is that my father in law built his house and he helps me when stuff breaks around my house. By "he helps me", I mean I hold the light for him. haha. 

But I'm getting better. I go to YouTube first now check out the work that needs to be done and see if it's something I can give the ol' college try. It's blown up in my face a few times, not literally, and ended up costing more than just going to the mechanic in the first place but that's the price of learning, I guess. 

Yeah thats what pisses me off. I have another car ('09 Honda Civic), but I drive the Rodeo a lot during the late fall/winter months

I noticed that with my jeep. It didn't even come with a stick to check the trans fluid level.