Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do animals have souls?

footballhenry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

In lieu of the vegetarian debate thread I am curious to see how many people believe animals have souls on this board.

To me it is blatantly obvious that they have souls; God's life force flows through them just as it does all of us.

They desire happiness and wellbeing just as all creatures do.

It still shocks me that to this day so many don't think animals have souls, and even worse others believe they don't even 'feel'.....this should be a lopsided poll response I'm expecting though.

that depends, do you think animals have indpendent thought?

Though as you and I know it? Of course I dont think many believe that they have logical coherent thought on the same level. Thats not the question here; you must remember that there is an infinitum of intelligence in nature beyond what humans can comprehend. They have independent thought predicated to what their processes are, not necessarily the same as ours of course but perhaps comparable (i.e. intuition, instinct, drive for happiness, etc.).

honestly, look at how animals interact in groups with their family. Say, take a family of chimpanzees or dolphins and you will find much affection and intelligence their. No question about it; for some reason it seems here in the West we have a hard time understanding the deeper intelligences of nature.

Well its not so surprising since we've been cut off from our true nature for such a long time, which explains our collective desensitization but thats for another topic.

I definitely believe that animals have their own life force and soul. All I need to answer that question is to look at the reaction of my cat when I'm not in bed at the "proper" time during my on-call weeks, or the reaction of our dog when my roommate Adam comes home after being out, or the reaction of our horses when we pull up at the barn.

There is no doubt in my mind, beyond even my religious beliefs, that every animal on this planet has a life-force of its own and a soul.

your poll is extremely bias as the only two options are yes and "no they dont have feelings or a soul"....obviously animals have feelings, they experience pain, sadness, loneliness, etc. but a soul? i dont think so....so there was no option for me to choose due to the sloppy nature of the construction of your poll

your poll is extremely bias as the only two options are yes and "no they dont have feelings or a soul"....obviously animals have feelings, they experience pain, sadness, loneliness, etc. but a soul? i dont think so....so there was no option for me to choose due to the sloppy nature of the construction of your poll

I agree. I looked at the poll and thought WTF?

Animals have feelings, personality, and thoughts, but no soul. Well mammels anyway. And people are mammels.

Asking whether or not animals have feelings and whether or not they have "souls" are very different things. I'm sure you would get plenty of argument that there is no such thing as a "soul."

Yes, I think animals have feelings. Some animals obviously are smarter and have more complex feelings than others. A dog, a chimp, or a dolphin probably experience much closer to what we would think of as "feelings" than an ant or a minnow do.

Hmm point taken,but ask yourself where do those 'feelings' come from? It's my opinion that feelings originate from the soul, I look at them as a guidance system of sorts. Ill try to add a third option though if it will let me.

I agree with this.

Asking whether or not animals have feelings and whether or not they have "souls" are very different things. I'm sure you would get plenty of argument that there is no such thing as a "soul."

Yes, I think animals have feelings. Some animals obviously are smarter and have more complex feelings than others. A dog, a chimp, or a dolphin probably experience much closer to what we would think of as "feelings" than an ant or a minnow do.

Point taken, though it won't let me go back and add an option unfortunately. Though the main question is as the thread says, do animals have souls? So the added aspect of feelings could be a misrepresentation on my part from your perspective.

I was looking at feelings and having a soul as interconnected since its my spiritual belief but I certainly understand the misinterpretation hidden within the construct; if a Mod can add a third option on my behalf I would be much obliged.

Hmm point taken,but ask yourself where do those 'feelings' come from? It's my opinion that feelings originate from the soul, I look at them as a guidance system of sorts. Ill try to add a third option though if it will let me.

if these "souls" you speak of are the guidance system for individuals/animals then that means that nothing is really in your hands...there is no personal decision making it's just a magic "soul" that steers you in the right or wrong direction and that seems illogical.....also, what if you have a bad soul when you were born? are you destined for a life of debauchery and crime? or can you make your own decisions in life?

if one is to make the argument that you are not born with a "bad soul" or a "good soul" that means that the decisions you make determine the type of "soul" you have....therefore a soul can not be looked at as the "guidance system" because it was the soul that was determined by actions not the other way around

I voted yes, out of a very simplistic and childish hope. It's mainly because I love my dogs, and I hope that when I pass from this world, they're waiting for me on the other side. That would make me as happy as can be.

I probably sound like I'm six, but it's true. God's love and a good pair of dogs will see me through. Well, and some food and water would also be good.

I would also include my wife, but I fully expect she'll outlive me, so I'll be waiting for her instead.

if these "souls" you speak of are the guidance system for individuals/animals then that means that nothing is really in your hands...there is no personal decision making it's just a magic "soul" that steers you in the right or wrong direction and that seems illogical.....also, what if you have a bad soul when you were born? are you destined for a life of debauchery and crime? or can you make your own decisions in life?

if one is to make the argument that you are not born with a "bad soul" or a "good soul" that means that the decisions you make determine the type of "soul" you have....therefore a soul can not be looked at as the "guidance system" because it was the soul that was determined by actions not the other way around

Personally, I believe our free will is exercised through the decision or choice itself. However the potentials for choice is limitless and there are productive (you can choose to exercise today, maybe your intuition or soul is giving you a feeling that this is a 'good' choice) and unproductive choices (you can choose to ignore intuition or guidance and opt for a less valuable outcome through your choice).

The guidance comes into play in helping us choose a path to help us evolve more completely, but this is again up to our freewill. I don't believe in 'fate'....

honestly the best thing I can point your towards that would give you a better understanding of my belief is this Higher Self youtube video; I think its one of the most well-done on the internet imho:

Animals have feelings...they experience pain and other feelings. They have brains which is where the sense of feelings technically take place. With that said, I don't believe animals have souls. That's just what I've always been taught. Do I have proof? Not necessarily.

I think that "Ant z" (played by Woody Allen) would disagree with you.

Archived