Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: 2005 First-Round Busts

Fifty Gut

I thought Rogers was great in 2006 on a lousy unit asside from his lack of catching ability. He got a game winning pick against the Saints and I beleive it was against the Panthers when the announcer seemed shocked by how often he was calling his name. At the start of last season, he was looking awesome and got his first TD vs the Lions. If he hadn't been hurt in that pointless effort against the Patriots, he wouldn't have been absent from the late season highlight reel and this wouldn't be a discussion.

Maybe he shouldn't have been the 9th overall pick but he's still a solid CB. It was great having three starters for two positions while it lasted.

Actually, we should've kept our picks and probably taken Jason Campbell at 9... Overall, the entire draft was disappointing because we gave up so much and got so little in return. Had we not let Smoot go to Minnesota, we wouldn't have needed Carlos Rogers.

Carlos was decent in 2007, but Smoot was far better... People shouldn't forget that regardless of Carlos' improved play, over 6 games this season he still gave up huge game costing plays to Plaxico Burress and missing the tackle on Donald Lee... Carlos' career "so far" is defined by being in position to make plays and not making plays. We need his depth more than we need his abilities as a starter (at least until Springs or Smoot get injured).

Rogers was playing some VERY good and much improved football last season before being injured. When your game is improving you're not "on your way" to being a bust.

This is very true to i dont know how they get the idea that he was on his way down in the league?...the man had a freak injury!! Sometime i get a little mad at LF but it's football and i know it was not intended

I thought Rogers was great in 2006

You obviously weren't watching Carlos Rogers, cornerback of the Washington Redskins. The guy was pathetic in 2006... It could've partly been the fact that everyone was playing out of position, but that year was one to forget for him personally. While everyone else around him was horrible, he got very poor marks himself. KC Joyner's Football Scientist rated him in the top 50 of starting CBs last year. When there are only 32 teams, and you are a 9th round pick, that isn't very good. Of course, in fairness that year Smoot was also rated around the same point with the Vikings... Springs was still rated in the top 20 or near (as I recall).

Rogers was playing some VERY good and much improved football last season before being injured. When your game is improving you're not "on your way" to being a bust.

When you are a top 10 pick and you expect a "perennial all-pro"... In those terms, he will be a bust unless he starts getting closer to making the Pro Bowl. He isn't even on the radar yet. BTW, you probably won't make the Pro Bowl unless you can actually CATCH an interception or two.

Rogers of 2006: Bust. Like, palm to the forehead, screaming at the TV, Heath Shuler-esque bust.

Rogers of 2007: Largest serving of crow that I've ever gladly swallowed. He was an absolute shut down, a monster. If you watched the Eagles game or the Lions game, then you know that I'm right. Put him in bump and run, and nobody gets by him. I'm sorry if this shatters some fantasies for a lot of you, I was the BIGGEST anti-Rogers guy on the board, but calling Carlos Rogers of 2007 a bust is ridiculous.

Rogers was definitely on his way to proving all the downers wrong but I'm pretty sure that his absolute destroyed and reconstructed knee will mean his career stalls at least for the next 2 seasons...

I feel bad because it was good seeing him being used the way he should be with some press coverage and with Sean Taylor playing over top and covering the ground that it would take two safeties on any other team to cover.... ohhhhh I just went off on such a tangent but man it would have been nice to see that scheme and secondary mature and dominate for the next 3-5 years...

PS - Spartacus was dead on about merriman and ware... they are 3-4 outside linebackers which, in the 4-3 equates to situational pass rusher (unless you're the colts) or an outside linebacker in limited run and pass blitz packages...

You can't take those guys if you're a 4-3 D... Which also leads me to say that announcing 3-4 ends such as Luis Castillo and Spears as only average and bordering bust is so flawed... anyway, another tangent!

Rogers was well on his way to shutdown status and covering, not catching, is a CB's 1st priority... but pity that this injury may spell disaster for his ability to compete athletically...

When you are a top 10 pick and you expect a "perennial all-pro"... In those terms, he will be a bust unless he starts getting closer to making the Pro Bowl. He isn't even on the radar yet. BTW, you probably won't make the Pro Bowl unless you can actually CATCH an interception or two.

Or you play for the Cowgirls, Pro Bowls are meaningless really, just ask Roy Williams. I agree though, Rogers hasn't played to an all-pro level yet.

Carlos has to continue to improve, but he is no bust yet. This year should be tough for him because he is returning from that injury, but I'm not ready to start throwing dirt on the guy.

If he wasn't injured he would not be on that list, his play doesn't reflect the bust label.

I probably shouldn't have used the word "great" but I'm tired and I have a bad headache. I was screaming at him too that year but he still made plays when he wasn't 15 yards back. He couldn't catch but I thought he could cover.

I thinks its interesting how now Cerrato likes to say draft the best player not for need.

Well, in 2005, either their scouting was terrible, or much more likely they did draft for need. They wanted a corner becuase they lost Smoot.

They bypassed arguably two of the best players in football, Merriman and Ware for Carlos. I disagree that Carlos is on his way to being declared a bust. He was good his rookie season, IMO bad his sophomore year, then rebounded with a solid year last season until he got injured. He's not a star but don't see him even remotely as a bust.

9. Carlos Rogers, cornerback, Redskins: He’s on the path to being declared a bust. We’ll give him one more year.

25. Jason Campbell, quarterback, Redskins: Campbell is on his way to becoming a solid starter, and could evolve into one of the better signal-callers in the conference. Not a bust.

I have to disagree with both assertions....

Rogers isn't on the path to being a bust. He passed that sign post quite a ways back.

Campbell may be on his way to being a solid starter in the AFL or the XFL, but not in the NFL. He's on the bust train as well, so far as I'm concerned.

I have to disagree with both assertions....

Rogers isn't on the path to being a bust. He passed that sign post quite a ways back.

Campbell may be on his way to being a solid starter in the AFL or the XFL, but not in the NFL. He's on the bust train as well, so far as I'm concerned.

I think Carlos has yet to live up to the billling of a #9 pick and a good CB.

Campbell may be a solid starter, but was he worth what was given up for him?

I agree with both assessments of our 05 draft picks.

The only quibble is I think Rogers can pretty much be declared a bust as a #9 draft pick and no need to wait on 08. The odds of him all of a sudden becoming the player he should have been, given his draft status, are remote. Usually you see glimpses of greatness. Rogers has yet to show any signs of greatness. At his best these past 3 years, he's been a solid corner and nothing more.

Rogers of 2007: Largest serving of crow that I've ever gladly swallowed. He was an absolute shut down, a monster. If you watched the Eagles game or the Lions game, then you know that I'm right. Put him in bump and run, and nobody gets by him. I'm sorry if this shatters some fantasies for a lot of you, I was the BIGGEST anti-Rogers guy on the board, but calling Carlos Rogers of 2007 a bust is ridiculous.

You were a bit too quick to "eat crow"... He had a great game against Philly (and we should always have great games against those types of receivers and an inaccurate QB) and another against Detroit. His Miami game included giving up two plays that were more than 20 yards, so his SYPA was pretty bad that game. Also, he wasn't matched up against Miami's best receiver at the time... Chris Chambers. The Giants game was horrible and his poor play against Plaxico Burress contributed directly to the loss. The Green Bay game was pretty mixed... Foul weather and Brett Favre's worst game of the year (Sean Taylor had a few picks and should've had more) hampered both offenses. The worst thing about this game was Carlos Rogers' missed tackle on Donald Lee... A lot of folks fault Landry, but both players had an opportunity to make this play... At least Landry showed effort... Carlos looked pathetic. McIntosh is to blame for poor coverage too. Arizona was an okay game... Arizona WRs caught 17 catches and 2 TDs, but generally speaking it was an okay game.

Nothing here gets you the term "shutdown corner" or "all pro". Big plays and interceptions do... When you make big plays, you can forgive the occasional 20+ yard gain... When you don't make big plays, it magnifies your mistakes.

Does anyone else remember being really ticked off that we took Rogers when Mike Williams was still on the board? With that in mind, it's been hard for me to be critical of the choice we made. Yah, Rogers could be a more stellar player, but he's been solid enough when I think about other routes we could have traveled that year.

You have to admit that if we'd taken Campbell with the 9th pick and not traded all those other selections for him we'd probably have been in better shape. With the 20th pick in the 1st round the following year we could've had Tamba Hali, Manny Lawson (and not traded up again to get Rocky McIntosh), John McCargo, Johnathan Joseph or Kelly Jennings (both better than Carlos Rogers), Demeco Ryans, etc.

The only reason why Carlos would be a bust is because of his injuries. He's a very good CB. I think he was playing better than Smoot last year before he was injured. I also blame his injury for our lopsided loss to the Pats. I mean, when you go from having Carlos Rogers on Randy Moss to Leigh Torrence you're in trouble.

Archived