Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: 2005 First-Round Busts

Fifty Gut

People hate on Rogers because he isn't a flashy player and/or the fact that "we could've have Ware/Merriman." Outside of droping INTs, Rogers has been above average in every other category.

He didn't play a lot in his rookie year(injuries and GW's way of handling rooks) but when he did, he looked pretty damn good(covering WRs like Torry Holt in

he process).

In 06 he had an up and down year. He had trouble covering the speedy receivers(Troy Williamson), but did pretty good against Plaxico and TO(who absolutely abused Springs, BTW).

This past year, before his injury, Carlos stepped it up big time. He was easily our #1 corner before his injury and was well on his way to having a Pro Bowl year. Even a Giants fan I knew said this also.

BTW, saying Corey Webster or D.Williams(RIP) played better than Rogers is ridiculous. Webster was horrible last year but managed to play decently in the playoffs. If anyone thinks Williams or Webster are better than Rogers, it is because of one of two things: A. They don't know what they're talking about or B(most likely reason). They are one of the many Skins fans who hate Rogers for the reasons I have already mentioned

people hate on him because he isnt the second coming of champ bailey or darrell green.

or Tom Carter (13 ints after 3 years).. or Martin Mayhew (10 ints after his 3rd year and he was a special teamer his 1st year)... or Vernon Dean (13 ints after his 3rd year, and his 1st year was a strike shortened season)... or Darryl Pounds (6 ints after his 3rd year)... or Barry Wilburn (12 ints after his 3rd year)...

Carlos Rogers is decent with potential, but he doesn't make the kind of big plays from the CB position that will help you win games. The 9th pick in the draft should be able to do that for you. BTW, comparing him to every other 9th pick in the draft who was a bust or to the bust CBs in his draft class doesn't exactly do him any favors either.

He didn't play a lot in his rookie year(injuries and GW's way of handling rooks) but when he did, he looked pretty damn good(covering WRs like Torry Holt in he process).

OK, when Carlos was a rookie... We played the Rams and the QB was Ryan Fitzpatrick. Holt still had 6 catches for 75 yards (not spectacular, but it was Ryan Fitzpatrick)...

In 2006, Bulger threw for 388 yards and and Steven Jackson ran for 150 yards... It was the worst game of Sean Taylor's career, but you can't really say that Carlos Rogers had a "good game" either. Tory Holt wasn't the star of the offense, but if you look at the playbook you'll see that Carlos wasn't 'assigned' to covering him exclusively. Isaac Bruce also had 150 yards... Combined they had nearly 200 yards that day. It was clearly a bad day for everyone...

Hard to argue that. Rogers was clearly a solid number two CB but you don't draft solid number 2's with a top ten pick. Factor in that Ware and Merriman were still available and it makes it that much worse.

Campbell was a solid pick, as of now, with potential to be a steal at 25.

The bolded part makes me a sad panda.

people hate on him because he isnt the second coming of champ bailey or darrell green.

people hate on him because he was a top 10 pick who hasn't really done anything yet. I still have confidence in him and he was playing better last year before the injury but until he starts to give us some results i think he'll be considered a bust due to the fact that he was draft in the top 10.

An above average player from a terrible draft class. I define a "bust" as someone who could have been totally avoided, aka Pac Man or Ryan Leaf, but was chosen over good players in a draft spot that did not warrant the question marks of their talent. I don't think you can consider someone who has gotten hurt a "bust" because injuries are impossible to predict, unless you drafted someone with multiple knee surgeries only to have that knee blow out in camp.

Fact is, we NEEDED a CB, took the Thorpe award winner, and he has started for us when he has been healthy, showing signs of improvement all the while. He played in a retardedly complicated defense that didn't best suit his abilities. If every top 10 player turned out to be a superstar the Lions and Browns would be in the Super Bowl next year. We should just be happy the guy isn't getting beat out for his starting job by people getting paid far less, which is the case for a lot of the other "busts" on this board.

An above average player from a terrible draft class. I define a "bust" as someone who could have been totally avoided, aka Pac Man or Ryan Leaf, but was chosen over good players in a draft spot that did not warrant the question marks of their talent. I don't think you can consider someone who has gotten hurt a "bust" because injuries are impossible to predict, unless you drafted someone with multiple knee surgeries only to have that knee blow out in camp.

Fact is, we NEEDED a CB, took the Thorpe award winner, and he has started for us when he has been healthy, showing signs of improvement all the while. He played in a retardedly complicated defense that didn't best suit his abilities. If every top 10 player turned out to be a superstar the Lions and Browns would be in the Super Bowl next year. We should just be happy the guy isn't getting beat out for his starting job by people getting paid far less, which is the case for a lot of the other "busts" on this board.

you know...I'll give you that CR isn't a bust. never thought he was in any case. but arguiing that the defense was retardedly complicated...well...how the H would you know? moreover..there's a problem with your theory...is a coach supposed to bend the scheme to fit the abilities of all 11 starters and even more if one accounts for backups? seems to me that down that road lies chaos.

The problem is that the players are being evaluated based on their draft location.

Carlos is a nice player. If you get Carlos in the 6th round, everyone is very happy with the guy. No one would criticize him at all if he was a 6th round pick. But because of where he was taken, you kind of want more out of him. So if you ask me, "Is Carlos a good player to have on your team?" The answer is clearly "Yes." But if you ask me, "Is Carlos worthy of a top 10 selection in the draft?" Then the answer is clearly "No."

As for Jason, he has not justified his selection or the trading up to get him at this point. If he doesn't DRAMATICALLY improve this year, then you have to look elsewhere and give up on the experiment. And I mean DRAMATICALLY. The problem is that he is learning a new offense that is the worst possible one for his weaknesses (he reads defenses too slow, has too slow a release, and has horrible accuracy in short to intermediate routes). JC is close to being a bust based on what we had to give up to give him.

Archived