Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: 2005 First-Round Busts

Fifty Gut

As long as a players is a starter and/or is on the field for more than half of the plays, he's NOT a bust of a draft pick. I feel bad for the guys who suffered career ending injuries, and I ultimately don't consider them busts either. I my book, a bust is a guy that flat out couldn't make it in the NFL......such as a Heath Shuler or a Ryan Leaf, or a Tony Mandrich.

ok so there was like 6 CB drafted in 2005 out of the 1st round and out of all them neither of them make Rodgers look like a bust to me...

by the way these are career stats

Adam "Pac-man" Jones 6th overall

116 Tackles...95 Solo...4int's 1 for a TD...23 PD's

Antrel Rolle 8th overall

176 Tackles ...157 Solo...7int's 3 for a TD...23 PD's

Carlos Rodgers 9th overall

153 Tackles...132 Solo...4int's 1 for a TD...28 PD's

Thomas Davis 14th overall

Now a OLB...was drafted a DB

Fabian Washington 23rd overall

123 Tackles...112 Solo...5in't 0 for a TD...28 PD's

Marlin Jackson 29th overall

228 tackles..173 Solo...3in't 0 for a TD..13 PD's

so out of those DB's drafted in 2005 i guess Rodgers is the bust i dunno why cause if i'm wrong but none of them have made a pro bowl for there position...:2cents:

Rogers was playing some VERY good and much improved football last season before being injured. When your game is improving you're not "on your way" to being a bust.

That is absolutly correct.

Rogers was a "mistake", not a bust. In retrospect, going at #9 was way too high - he'll probably never justify that pick. But if the draft were held today, he'd certainly be drafted, just not in the first round.

PFT thought Owen Schmitt was a first round prospect. Maybe he is, but 32 professional scouting staffs thought otherwise, nearly five times. Just because someone has a website, doesn't mean he's any more knowledgeable than anyone else.

While I don't believe Rogers is going to end up as a bust, him going at number #9 was still alittle high and a prime example why purely drafting for need isn't the right philosophy.

But I have to admit, Rogers was playing quite well early in '07 and was really starting to come along as our #1 corner. Hopefully he can return to form when he recovers from that nasty injury ...:(

Rogers was playing some VERY good and much improved football last season before being injured. When your game is improving you're not "on your way" to being a bust.

DING HUH?!?!

He played in 7 games. He recorded 25 tackles and 1 Int. WOW Some improvements. Now recall the 1 INT...Santana and Company were laughing on the side lines because they could not believe he actually held onto the ball!!!

Carlos is a tackler that is good in run support. He's no where near a #1 CB.

The only improvement he made last season was >>>>> He no longer laughs/smiles when he gets burnt on post patterns.

BUST for a top 10 CB!!

I think there is more pressure these days put on a first round pick (especially one in the top 10) because of the guaranteed money being handed out.

The Redskins came out and said that when you draft someone in the top 10, you are looking for a perennial all-pro. Carlos Rogers doesn't fit that bill yet... It looks doubtful he ever will.

If Carlos Rogers was drafted by any other team and they let him go... Would you be interested in picking him up? What would be his free agent market? I'm betting it would be pretty low... Likewise for Antrel Rolle (who I think will play safety this year).

If we had picked up Jason Campbell at 9 and then someone like Fabian Washington, Corey Webster, or Marlin Jackson at 25, most of you would probably think whoever we picked wasn't a bust either.

This whole discussion prompted my "Chain Reaction" thread.

Hard to argue that. Rogers was clearly a solid number two CB but you don't draft solid number 2's with a top ten pick. Factor in that Ware and Merriman were still available and it makes it that much worse.

Campbell was a solid pick, as of now, with potential to be a steal at 25.

I agree. The Merriman no-pick really hurt...

And yet none of those validate calling Rogers a "bust" at the moment.

Rogers was playing absolutely shut down in 2007 whether people like to admit it or not until his freak knee injury. How soon the haters forget we had the best pass defense in the NFC thanks to Taylor and Rogers, while teams were able to pick on Smoot and especially Springs in the early half of the season.

People need to get off the Ware/Merriman whining too, because both of those guys are perfect fits as pass rushers in a 3-4...how they'd fare in a 4-3 is pure speculation, but somehow I doubt they'd be the same players they are today in their current schemes.

I agree. Tired of the whining about Ware and Merriman. There was no reason we would take either of those guys. We lost Smoot to FA and we HAD TO REPLACE him. If Carlos wasn't there at #9, then Mike Williams would have been the choice and we all know how that turned out. So, I'd rather have an average Carlos suiting up every Sunday than an overweight TE standing on the sidelines in jeans. I just don't know why everyone thinks we would have automatically take Ware or Merriman? There is no proof of this. Both were considered "tweeners" that could not be everydown DE's and were too big to play the SSLB or WSLB positions. EVERY single time we talk about Carlos, someone brings those 2 up. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to sit here and say, "we should have taken them because they are always in the pro bowl." Ware played at Troy, not exactly a football factory and Merriman wasn't even the best player on a MD defense at the time.

Rogers of 2006: Bust. Like, palm to the forehead, screaming at the TV, Heath Shuler-esque bust.

Rogers of 2007: Largest serving of crow that I've ever gladly swallowed. He was an absolute shut down, a monster. If you watched the Eagles game or the Lions game, then you know that I'm right. Put him in bump and run, and nobody gets by him. I'm sorry if this shatters some fantasies for a lot of you, I was the BIGGEST anti-Rogers guy on the board, but calling Carlos Rogers of 2007 a bust is ridiculous.

Precisely. I was the same way, and now I feel the same way.

A lot of you want to discredit PFT but they are dead on that most of the first round picks of '05 have turned out to be busts.

PFT is lame.

If someone gets hurt playing ball, like Cadillac Williams or David Pollack, without showing a propensity for injury in college, you can hardly call the pick a bust. What could a team do to anticipate the injury?

Alex Barron (#19) and Marcus Spears (#20) are busts, even though they have started all three years. Thomas Davis (#14 "He’s not spectacular, but he started 16 games in 2007") and Chris Spencer (#26, "he started every game in 2005, and the Seahawks have gotten decent value out of him" - actually, he started 0 games in 2005, but has started since) are not busts. The trade value for Davis and Spencer would not be any higher than that of Barron or Spears.

Heath Miller, who I like because he's from UVa, has been pretty mediocre for a first round choice, especially in comparison to other young TEs like Cooley and Witten, who were drafted much lower. But I wouldn't hold my breath for PFT to write something bad about the Steelers.

I think there is more pressure these days put on a first round pick (especially one in the top 10) because of the guaranteed money being handed out.

The Redskins came out and said that when you draft someone in the top 10, you are looking for a perennial all-pro. Carlos Rogers doesn't fit that bill yet... It looks doubtful he ever will.

If Carlos Rogers was drafted by any other team and they let him go... Would you be interested in picking him up? What would be his free agent market? I'm betting it would be pretty low... Likewise for Antrel Rolle (who I think will play safety this year).

If we had picked up Jason Campbell at 9 and then someone like Fabian Washington, Corey Webster, or Marlin Jackson at 25, most of you would probably think whoever we picked wasn't a bust either.

This whole discussion prompted my "Chain Reaction" thread.

you have a good point to what you say but that year didn't Au have like 5 players go pro that year??? i mean people around the league thought that was enough talent to draft 5 players from the same school all in one year..i mean really when was the last time that many players where drafted out of one school?? ps how is FW or MJ better then how Rodgers turned out for us?? just cause they didn't get marjor knee injurys this year there value goes up all of a sudden?....

^^^^to the point that i was really trying to make was how do the skins pass on a hot idem like rodgers that year when they just went undefeated that year...just like the skins went after the g-men's D coordinator this year cause he went to the SB...hot idem at the time is what we did

We should probably start a "go on record" thread:

If Carlos Rogers had never been a Redskin and became a free agent, would you consider him (given his body of work) someone you'd like to see become a Redskin... You can throw in caveats regarding injury and what-not, but I think it would be interesting to see what people think on this topic... It's hard to ask a bunch of homers not to think like homers (me included), I guess. :)

well it's really hard cause C.Los has always been far from the chopping block...and at the same time it's hard to Imagen him on anther team...but i would have to go and say that i would hope we could get him on our team.........geezz SMPR your really making his value really hard to argue

Archived