Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice on Handgun Purchase

Cept One

Hey guys i am looking to buy my first handgun in the very near future and i am looking for some advice from any hand gun owner that is willing to share thier experences with me. First off i am interested in buying a firearm for home defense and for recreational shooting at the range. I do not have tons of experience with handguns but have been accompining a friend of mine to the range once aweek for the past 2-3 months to learn as much as possible before buying for myself. The Handgun i am looking at purchasing a CZ p-01. Does anyone have experience with this gun? Is this handgun a good CCW? I really dont plan on carring it with me everywhere but i want to get a permit just incase. Also is this a weapon that is comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time? any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

:dallasuck

Nice gun but I'd go with something in .40sw. A more complete round IMO. I'm not an expert though, MSF will be your source for info. Also there's been some other similar threads in the not too distant past, if you can manage the wonderful search feature you might be able to scrounge them up. Full of useful info.

Nice gun but I'd go with something in .40sw. A more complete round IMO. I'm not an expert though, MSF will be your source for info. Also there's been some other similar threads in the not too distant past, if you can manage the wonderful search feature you might be able to scrounge them up. Full of useful info.

Yeah i agree you should get something bigger then a 9mm. I think the thread was about a shotgun or a handgun. Lots and lots of info in that one. :D

I may move up to a larger weapon down the road but i am trying to balance knock down power with cost since i really enjoy spending time at the range. I also have no experience with bigger caliber rounds so i didn't want my first weapon to be with something i am unfamiliar with. Almost all my experience has been with a Ruger SR9 and i am comfortable and accurate shooting with both one hand and two handed grip. So for now I am sticking to a 9mm.

SW .4o, Glock 27, also look at the Sig Sauer p250.... if your just using it for target shootign and self defense I would got with a .40 or .45..

9mm ammo isnt much cheaper any more plus if your gonna use it ofr self defense the 9mm doesnt have much stopping power with one trigger pull..

Then again it all depends on your budget too

I may move up to a larger weapon down the road but i am trying to balance knock down power with cost since i really enjoy spending time at the range. I also have no experience with bigger caliber rounds so i didn't want my first weapon to be with something i am unfamiliar with. Almost all my experience has been with a Ruger SR9 and i am comfortable and accurate shooting with both one hand and two handed grip. So for now I am sticking to a 9mm.

DOnt worry about feeling comfortable with it buy it take it to the range and withing 30 rounds you will feel right at home...

Ok, before I begin my rather lengthy advice, I just thought I'd build my credibility: I'm a US Marine who's been a CCW holder in VA for four years, and shooting handguns for over 10.

First thing to consider when buying a handgun is education

Take some classes Blue Ridge Arsenal in Springfield and the NRA Range in Fairfax both offer basic and advanced classes. I STRONGLY suggest taking a basic class before purchasing a pistol. Even if you already know the basics, it never hurts to brush up on them. And it gives you a change to try out some more handguns. Which leads me to my second rule for handguns.

Shoot what's comfortable for you.

This applies both to the gun itself and the round. It applies doubly if you're going to be using it for self defense. Handguns are different from long guns in that you can't really move the gun to make it more comfortable. On a long gun you can get more stockwell, move you're grip along the stock, ect, ect. On a pistol, there isn't a whole lot of room for adjustment.

Which means, the handgun must be good in your hands. If you have small hands, this means a Glock 17 or 23, or a Deagle or a double stack .45, is gonna be difficult for you. Likewise, if you have big hands, a Walther PPK or snub nosed revolver is gonna be a pain. Shoot what is most comfortable for you.

This means you gotta try out some handguns. Its good to make friends with lots of guns. They let you put a few rounds through em :) And don't disregard revolvers because they're "old technology" They've been around for a while. That means that they work well and they can feel pretty damn good in your hands. (But, for this little post, I'm gonna stick to autos)

Comfort also leads me in to my next topic: Caliber

I have very little faith in my 9mm pistol. Rest assured, if and when I have to use my M9, I will be pulling the trigger several times. I have very little faith in the NATO 9mm, FMJ, 115gr bullet.

That being said, modern hollow point ammo is the ****! The gap between 9mm and .40S&W or even .45 ACP has been dramatically reduced. In fact, I'd say that with a nice Federal Hydrashock or Gold Tip, you can take down anyone with the 9mm.

The most important thing to consider when choosing your caliber is what is most comfortable for you to shoot. If you can hit black all day with a .22 LR, but can't hit a barn 10 feet away with a .45, does it make much sense to be packing a .45 in the waistband? Hardly. If you shoot really well with 9mm, but not so well with a .45, all that extra lead in a 45 really isn't gonna do you any good.

That being said, if you can handle a big round, by all means, carry it.

Third thing to consider is training.

You have to practice. If you want to be decent when the time comes, you gotta put in the time at the range. More than that, go to some of the defensive handgun classes that BRA and NRA offer. They don't cost that much. Maybe a 150 bucks with ammo. But they're worth it. You can never have to much training, provided that its good training.

Finally, money.

Money is gonna be a concern, obviously. Handguns can range from as little as 200 bucks to well over a grand. Clearly, you don't need the most expensive ones out there. But, don't skimp because of money. If you find a gun that is really, really good in your hands, and its a couple hundred more than something that is only decent, spend the money. You're probably gonna find that with the CZ. Every one I've shot has felt rough in my hands.

But there are plenty of handguns out there for decent amounts of money. Glocks for one. You can find decently priced 1911s. Springfield's XD series isn't too pricey. And Rugers are usually pretty cheap.

You also need money to practice. Make sure you have it. Its sort of like buying a car. You can stretch your wallet to get it, but what good is it if it sits in the driveway because you don't have money for gas. Ammo costs different amounts. You don't have to practice with premium hollow point ammo. FMJ is fine. Its good to practice with a few premium rounds each time, just so you know how they feel going through the gun. But you don't have to use 200 rounds of em every time you go out. FMJ is fine for that. And cheaper :)

But like I've said: Educate yourself. Get what's comfortable for you. Both in your hands and on your wallet.

In my very limited experience with hand guns I prefer HK or S&W.

The HK P7M8 is the best gun I've ever shot (in my opinion), it's no longer in production but it was awesome. 9mm, grip safety and accurate as hell. Like it better than the other 45's I've shot.

You also need money to practice. Make sure you have it. Its sort of like buying a car. You can stretch your wallet to get it, but what good is it if it sits in the driveway because you don't have money for gas. Ammo costs different amounts. You don't have to practice with premium hollow point ammo. FMJ is fine. Its good to practice with a few premium rounds each time, just so you know how they feel going through the gun. But you don't have to use 200 rounds of em every time you go out. FMJ is fine for that. And cheaper :)

Okay, now I'm curious and have a possibly stupid question.

Is there a considerable difference in firing the gun with different types of ammo? I have hollow points that I hope to never use and obviously I don't use them at the shooting range.

I would take a look at the S&W Airweight. Great for home security, concealed carry, and target practice. You can't go wrong with a 38 Special +P. This model is what I use for my concealed carry.

163070_large.jpg

I was actually looking at The S&W 642 but i have read that it can be painful to shoot after 20-30 rounds of the +p ammo. have you found this to be true?

Ok, before I begin my rather lengthy advice, I just thought I'd build my credibility: I'm a US Marine who's been a CCW holder in VA for four years, and shooting handguns for over 10.

First thing to consider when buying a handgun is education

Take some classes Blue Ridge Arsenal in Springfield and the NRA Range in Fairfax both offer basic and advanced classes. I STRONGLY suggest taking a basic class before purchasing a pistol. Even if you already know the basics, it never hurts to brush up on them. And it gives you a change to try out some more handguns. Which leads me to my second rule for handguns.

Shoot what's comfortable for you.

This applies both to the gun itself and the round. It applies doubly if you're going to be using it for self defense. Handguns are different from long guns in that you can't really move the gun to make it more comfortable. On a long gun you can get more stockwell, move you're grip along the stock, ect, ect. On a pistol, there isn't a whole lot of room for adjustment.

Which means, the handgun must be good in your hands. If you have small hands, this means a Glock 17 or 23, or a Deagle or a double stack .45, is gonna be difficult for you. Likewise, if you have big hands, a Walther PPK or snub nosed revolver is gonna be a pain. Shoot what is most comfortable for you.

This means you gotta try out some handguns. Its good to make friends with lots of guns. They let you put a few rounds through em :) And don't disregard revolvers because they're "old technology" They've been around for a while. That means that they work well and they can feel pretty damn good in your hands. (But, for this little post, I'm gonna stick to autos)

Comfort also leads me in to my next topic: Caliber

I have very little faith in my 9mm pistol. Rest assured, if and when I have to use my M9, I will be pulling the trigger several times. I have very little faith in the NATO 9mm, FMJ, 115gr bullet.

That being said, modern hollow point ammo is the ****! The gap between 9mm and .40S&W or even .45 ACP has been dramatically reduced. In fact, I'd say that with a nice Federal Hydrashock or Gold Tip, you can take down anyone with the 9mm.

The most important thing to consider when choosing your caliber is what is most comfortable for you to shoot. If you can hit black all day with a .22 LR, but can't hit a barn 10 feet away with a .45, does it make much sense to be packing a .45 in the waistband? Hardly. If you shoot really well with 9mm, but not so well with a .45, all that extra lead in a 45 really isn't gonna do you any good.

That being said, if you can handle a big round, by all means, carry it.

Third thing to consider is training.

You have to practice. If you want to be decent when the time comes, you gotta put in the time at the range. More than that, go to some of the defensive handgun classes that BRA and NRA offer. They don't cost that much. Maybe a 150 bucks with ammo. But they're worth it. You can never have to much training, provided that its good training.

Finally, money.

Money is gonna be a concern, obviously. Handguns can range from as little as 200 bucks to well over a grand. Clearly, you don't need the most expensive ones out there. But, don't skimp because of money. If you find a gun that is really, really good in your hands, and its a couple hundred more than something that is only decent, spend the money. You're probably gonna find that with the CZ. Every one I've shot has felt rough in my hands.

But there are plenty of handguns out there for decent amounts of money. Glocks for one. You can find decently priced 1911s. Springfield's XD series isn't too pricey. And Rugers are usually pretty cheap.

But like I've said: Educate yourself. Get what's comfortable for you. Both in your hands and on your wallet.

Thanks Alot Slateman some great advice in there. I do plan on taking both the basic and advanced course at the NRA range and i am taking my concealed carry class this weekend. a quick question tho what CZ models have you fired? and what do you mean by rough? Trigger Pull?

get a .38 special revolver. Practice with it, learn how to maintain it. Graduate up to semi-auto's once you feel you are ready to give them the maintenance they demand.

Good Advice here.

For my CCW, I have a Springfield Armory-XD Sub-Compact 3" 9MM. Great firearm.

I was actually looking at The S&W 642 but i have read that it can be painful to shoot after 20-30 rounds of the +p ammo. have you found this to be true?

Why would you shoot 20-30 rounds of +p at the same time in the first place? Like Slateman said, just put a couple of your carry rounds downrange during practice just to get a feel for them and then use your practice rounds. They have that name for a reason.

I actually started a thread just like this a couple of months ago. The 642 was the gun that I eventually settled on.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240640

Archived