Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice on Handgun Purchase

Cept One

I have shot several different Guns, and for semi-autos, I prefer Glocks. I own a Glock 33, and a Glock 22. The Glock 22 I use for home defense. I have it tricked out with Fiber Optic sights, and Hogue grip. The 22 fires .40S&W ammo. My Glock 33 is for concealed carry (I have a permit) and it's chambered for .357Sig. VERY powerful semi-auto round. The gun is small enough I could put it in my back pocket. I also own a Ruger GP100, 357 Magnum Revolver. Very nice gun, with adjustable grips and adjustable rear sights. I use that one for stationary target pistol matches. If you decide to go with Glock, I recommend the Glock 19 for a relatively new shooter. It's a mid-sized gun, and fires 9mm. A Glock 19 was the first gun I every owned. I sold it to a friend of mine a couple years ago. Glocks are very reasonably priced, and run usually between $450 and $550. Glocks are also great for up keep. They break down easily, are very easy to clean, and you could drop the gun in a sand pile, pick it up, and it would still fire.

Beretta's are reliable guns also, but require more maintenance than Glocks. I recommend you look at the Beretta 92F, or 96D. 92F is chambered for 9mm, and 96D is chambered for .40S&W. Bit more expensive then Glock, but if your into looks they are nice looking guns.

Cept One, there's already been a lot of very good advice in this thread. Especially Slateman's extended commentary.

Slateman already commented on training and practice, and he's totally correct in both of those things. However, training and practice are about more than simply being able to bring the firearm (it's not a WEAPON until you point it at another human being) into play and hitting what you want with it. It's also about the mental aspects of Concealed Carry and Home Defense. It's about preparing yourself, as well as you can, for the potential moment of truth when you must make that decision to pull the trigger or not. It's about making sure that you not only could, but would pull the trigger, because it you don't that gun is very likely to be used against you.

Also your training and practice needs to include things like weak-hand shooting. low-light shooting. shooting on the move. shooting with a flashlight. shooting at a moving target. Dealing with cover and concealment issues. Reloading. You also need to be spending a good amount of time with your nose in the gun laws for your locale so you're fully aware of not only the laws, but the precidents of how that law is applied if you're going to carry a concealed firearm or have one for home defense.

When it comes to what firearm to buy, there is no PERFECT gun out there. From what I'm reading you're looking for a CCW, Home Defense, and Target pistol. That's a lot to ask from one gun. Especially for a newer and less experienced shooter.

Revolvers are reliable, steady, and have a proven track record of getting the job done. Unfortunately they have a limited ammunition load and they take a little longer to reload until you get very comfortable with the speedloaders and the technique. They come in both larger and smaller frame sizes to fit the shooter and the application.

Full-Size semi-automatics offer a larger ammunition capacity, but are generally a little less reliable unless you keep them well maintained. They're also a little more difficult for many people to conceal well on their person.

The smaller frame semi-autos generally fall somewhere in the middle.

As Slateman said, find what works for YOU. What fits your hand, your needs, and your budget. Having said that, you'll be better off to wait another month and get the gun you really think is the best fit than to throw down the cash you have now on a gun that isn't going to be comfortable or effecient for you.

Personally, I carry a variety of different firearms depending on the situation. At any particular time I may be carrying a full-size SIG P226, a compact framed SIG P239, or a Ruger Security-Six revolver. The two SIG's are 9mm and loaded with Cor-Bon's 115gr. +P JHP load. The Security-Six is rated for .357 Magnums but I tend to carry the .38 Spl.+P Cor-Bon JHP's in it as well.

Remember that the gun is the LAST option, not the first. I'm generally also carrying a folding knife, and pepper spray, for those potential situations where deadly force may not be warranted.

The Beretta 92 is a nice firearm, and it really isn't that expensive. About 600 retail (on average).

For me the Glock is a little uncomfortable at times.My brother has a 37 and it's nice it just doesn't feel right to me.

My wife also has a Ruger KSP-321(XL) revolver which is great as her CCW.

The Beretta 92 is a nice firearm, and it really isn't that expensive. About 600 retail (on average).

For me the Glock is a little uncomfortable at times.My brother has a 37 and it's nice it just doesn't feel right to me.

My wife also has a Ruger KSP-321(XL) revolver which is great as her CCW.

Never been a big fan of the Beretta, KH. Most of them that I see have the skeletonized slide that just seems like a bad idea to me.

I'm definitely not a fan of Glocks. The trigger return screws me up and I see so many of them that have been modified into having significant action/feeding issues that I just don't trust them.

The Ruger your wife carries is very similar to the Security-Six that I carry. Quite an effective little piece, isn't it?

Never been a big fan of the Beretta, KH. Most of them that I see have the skeletonized slide that just seems like a bad idea to me.

The Beretta 92 has a really good balance to me, and if that is your style it is pretty nice. I agree most have that crappy slide though.

I'm definitely not a fan of Glocks. The trigger return screws me up and I see so many of them that have been modified into having significant action/feeding issues that I just don't trust them.

That's exactly what it is bro. The trigger return. Hmm. Good call.

The Ruger your wife carries is very similar to the Security-Six that I carry. Quite an effective little piece, isn't it?

It's perfect. I read a females comments about the Ruger in a magazine and discussed it with my lady to see if she was interested. She wanted it, so I bought it for her. But damn if I don't enjoy taking it to the range every now and then. It's really great.

The Beretta 92 has a really good balance to me, and if that is your style it is pretty nice. I agree most have that crappy slide though.

It has very nice balance, and it's very nice to look at. Unfortunately I tend to grade handguns on their usefulness rather than their appearance. The slide on both the 92 and 96 doesn't have the weight to drive home a round once the gun gets slightly dirty. I've seen it happen more times than I can count at this point during matches.

That's exactly what it is bro. The trigger return. Hmm. Good call.

Antoine Glock designed the gun to be a service weapon, not a target or competition gun. That's why the trigger reset is so ugly. Unfortunately while there are ways to clean up many of the other service features for competition, there's not much that can be done about the reset. Either you can deal with it or you can't. That's most of why I didn't buy a 19 when I was looking for a compact 9mm a couple years ago.

It's perfect. I read a females comments about the Ruger in a magazine and discussed it with my lady to see if she was interested. She wanted it, so I bought it for her. But damn if I don't enjoy taking it to the range every now and then. It's really great.

Your lady might be interested in doing a Google search on the name Julie Goloski. Julie's a wonderful young lady who is a sponsored shooter and who writes for a couple different places on shooting for women.

The Security-Six I own was my father's carry gun and what he wore while serving as a nuclear security guard at one of the Millstone Nuclear Powerplants in Connecticut many years ago.

It has very nice balance, and it's very nice to look at. Unfortunately I tend to grade handguns on their usefulness rather than their appearance. The slide on both the 92 and 96 doesn't have the weight to drive home a round once the gun gets slightly dirty. I've seen it happen more times than I can count at this point during matches.

I have limited hand-on experience with it. My guess is that my friend kept his well maintained. It's sad that many people dont...with any firearm. When we were at the range though it was pretty decent.

Antoine Glock designed the gun to be a service weapon, not a target or competition gun. That's why the trigger reset is so ugly. Unfortunately while there are ways to clean up many of the other service features for competition, there's not much that can be done about the reset. Either you can deal with it or you can't. That's most of why I didn't buy a 19 when I was looking for a compact 9mm a couple years ago.

It's different certainly. The weight is odd, the balance sucks, and the work involved with it makes it worse. My brother loves his, but for me I just need something easy.

Your lady might be interested in doing a Google search on the name Julie Goloski. Julie's a wonderful young lady who is a sponsored shooter and who writes for a couple different places on shooting for women.

The Security-Six I own was my father's carry gun and what he wore while serving as a nuclear security guard at one of the Millstone Nuclear Powerplants in Connecticut many years ago.

Thanks for the Goloski lead, and post a pic of the security six. It's awesome that you and he had at least that in common. :cheers:

I have limited hand-on experience with it. My guess is that my friend kept his well maintained. It's sad that many people dont...with any firearm. When we were at the range though it was pretty decent.

Very few people really keep their firearms as well maintained as they should. I know that at times I've been lax with my competition guns and it's cost me.

It's different certainly. The weight is odd, the balance sucks, and the work involved with it makes it worse. My brother loves his, but for me I just need something easy.

The weight and balance weren't an issue for me. That Godforsaken trigger reset, on the other hand, most definitely was.

Thanks for the Goloski lead, and post a pic of the security six. It's awesome that you and he had at least that in common. :cheers:

Julie is really great. I get the honor of working with her at the Smith & Wesson IDPA Indoor Nationals every February. She's really down to earth and willing to give advice.

Here is the Ruger that I carry....

Ruger_SecuritySix.jpg

Here is the full Load-Out when I'm carrying the Ruger...

Ruger_Load-Out.jpg

I'm kinda surprised no one said this, but you really should use the gun you plan on carrying in your CCW class. But maybe that's not an option because of the timing. I myself plan on buying a Kimber stainless pro-carry II in the next few weeks. Good luck on your choice.

Cept One, there's already been a lot of very good advice in this thread. Especially Slateman's extended commentary.

Slateman already commented on training and practice, and he's totally correct in both of those things. However, training and practice are about more than simply being able to bring the firearm (it's not a WEAPON until you point it at another human being) into play and hitting what you want with it. It's also about the mental aspects of Concealed Carry and Home Defense. It's about preparing yourself, as well as you can, for the potential moment of truth when you must make that decision to pull the trigger or not. It's about making sure that you not only could, but would pull the trigger, because it you don't that gun is very likely to be used against you.

Also your training and practice needs to include things like weak-hand shooting. low-light shooting. shooting on the move. shooting with a flashlight. shooting at a moving target. Dealing with cover and concealment issues. Reloading. You also need to be spending a good amount of time with your nose in the gun laws for your locale so you're fully aware of not only the laws, but the precidents of how that law is applied if you're going to carry a concealed firearm or have one for home defense.

When it comes to what firearm to buy, there is no PERFECT gun out there. From what I'm reading you're looking for a CCW, Home Defense, and Target pistol. That's a lot to ask from one gun. Especially for a newer and less experienced shooter.

Revolvers are reliable, steady, and have a proven track record of getting the job done. Unfortunately they have a limited ammunition load and they take a little longer to reload until you get very comfortable with the speedloaders and the technique. They come in both larger and smaller frame sizes to fit the shooter and the application.

Full-Size semi-automatics offer a larger ammunition capacity, but are generally a little less reliable unless you keep them well maintained. They're also a little more difficult for many people to conceal well on their person.

The smaller frame semi-autos generally fall somewhere in the middle.

As Slateman said, find what works for YOU. What fits your hand, your needs, and your budget. Having said that, you'll be better off to wait another month and get the gun you really think is the best fit than to throw down the cash you have now on a gun that isn't going to be comfortable or effecient for you.

Personally, I carry a variety of different firearms depending on the situation. At any particular time I may be carrying a full-size SIG P226, a compact framed SIG P239, or a Ruger Security-Six revolver. The two SIG's are 9mm and loaded with Cor-Bon's 115gr. +P JHP load. The Security-Six is rated for .357 Magnums but I tend to carry the .38 Spl.+P Cor-Bon JHP's in it as well.

Remember that the gun is the LAST option, not the first. I'm generally also carrying a folding knife, and pepper spray, for those potential situations where deadly force may not be warranted.

Thanks for the excellent advice! I took a look at the glocks but dont really like the way they feel in my hand. I also have taken a look at the Sigs but soon realized they are out of my price range. Do you have any experence with the P-01? or any of the CZ 75 series pistols? I checked the P-01 out at the local gun shop and really like the way it fits in my hand and have read very good things about them on the net. Unfortunately I have not fired one and cannot find a gun range that has one to rent. I am also curious if there is a website that has the gun law info you suggested i look at. Thanks Again and HTTR

Thanks for the excellent advice! I took a look at the glocks but dont really like the way they feel in my hand. I also have taken a look at the Sigs but soon realized they are out of my price range. Do you have any experence with the P-01? or any of the CZ 75 series pistols? I checked the P-01 out at the local gun shop and really like the way it fits in my hand and have read very good things about them on the net. Unfortunately I have not fired one and cannot find a gun range that has one to rent. I am also curious if there is a website that has the gun law info you suggested i look at. Thanks Again and HTTR

You're welcome. Unfortunately all of the experiences I personally have with CZ products has been questionable at best. I couldn't tell you the specific models, but as a Range Officer for IDPA matches I've seen a number of them jam or fail to feed on a fairly regular basis.

You can try USCarry.com for some of the info. Your local police department or a friend in the legal field may be another excellent source of information.

• 4 years later...
Hey guys i am looking to buy my first handgun in the very near future and i am looking for some advice from any hand gun owner that is willing to share thier experences with me. First off i am interested in buying a firearm for home defense and for recreational shooting at the range. I do not have tons of experience with handguns but have been accompining a friend of mine to the range once aweek for the past 2-3 months to learn as much as possible before buying for myself. The Handgun i am looking at purchasing a CZ p-01. Does anyone have experience with this gun? Is this handgun a good CCW? I really dont plan on carring it with me everywhere but i want to get a permit just incase. Also is this a weapon that is comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time? any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

:dallasuck

Hey buddy, I myself am in the market for a handgun for the very same reasons you were. What did you finally settle on and how do you feel about your decision?

Archived