Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't think Clinton Portis is a HOFer?Look here and be surprised....!

michael_33

Considering the fan input really skewing Pro Bowls, I think in the future they will be less of a consideration.

It'd be nice if he wins a Super Bowl or five for us, but that isn't as much a factor as it is with quarterbacks.

Fact: Only Barry Sanders and Jim Brown had more yards at their five year point than Portis. (Neither of them won a Super Bowl, either.) He's slightly fallen off the pace due to missing a lot of the 06 season, but if he can get a couple 1800 yard seasons he can get right back up there.

In all honesty, had he not missed that time, he could have set his sights on Emmitt and Walter ... you need extraordinary longevity to get to that level, but his numbers were good enough in his first 5 years that he could have had a shot. If you put in context how many yards you need, you can see why very few RBs find themselves in position to run at the records after five years, even among the best in the league.

(Tomlinson does. Adrian Peterson might,, we'll see.)

He's clutch, he's recognized as a vicious blocker almost universally.. most who know of his blocking agree he's the best blocking back in the league. He's a team guy a real leader, and he's friendly with the media.

AND. he's my favorite player on the team. I'm glad he's here and I hope he never leaves until he retires.

~Bang

Lets not forget that his numbers have been down since he joined the Skins. His numbers were higher when he was in Denver were I believe they ran a WCO. I expect his numbers to start looking more like they did in Denver this year.

Considering the fan input really skewing Pro Bowls, I think in the future they will be less of a consideration.

It'd be nice if he wins a Super Bowl or five for us, but that isn't as much a factor as it is with quarterbacks.

Fact: Only Barry Sanders and Jim Brown had more yards at their five year point than Portis. (Neither of them won a Super Bowl, either.) He's slightly fallen off the pace due to missing a lot of the 06 season, but if he can get a couple 1800 yard seasons he can get right back up there.

In all honesty, had he not missed that time, he could have set his sights on Emmitt and Walter ... you need extraordinary longevity to get to that level, but his numbers were good enough in his first 5 years that he could have had a shot. If you put in context how many yards you need, you can see why very few RBs find themselves in position to run at the records after five years, even among the best in the league.

(Tomlinson does. Adrian Peterson might,, we'll see.)

He's clutch, he's recognized as a vicious blocker almost universally.. most who know of his blocking agree he's the best blocking back in the league. He's a team guy a real leader, and he's friendly with the media.

AND. he's my favorite player on the team. I'm glad he's here and I hope he never leaves until he retires.

~Bang

Jim Brown played before the Super Bowl era. He was on NFL Championship teams.

As far as the HOF goes, a lot of times you're compared to other players in the same era. Jim Brown was the best of his era. Barry Sanders was one of the best of his era, along with Emmitt Smith and Thurman Thomas. Is Clinton Portis the best of his era? How many rushing titles has he won?

So I decided to do a little research on our man Clinton Portis a while ago and I came up with some interesting #'s...I got this info at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PortCl00.htm a well popular choice for info...

There are many different stats you can go by on a player to compare him to all the other great RB's to ever play the game,but I went by the most popular and the 2 most important catagories that would definately be looked at to the HOF committee...Rushing TD's and Rushing Yards...

Portis is currently 41st in Rushing Yards of ALL-Time

and currently tied for 33rd with RB/FL Lenny Moore in TD's ALL-Time

So you may ask...What makes Portis so special,that he will have a prayer at even being considered to be inducted into the HOF?Portis is only 26 years old!

So I decided to see what his stats would look like, if he plays till he's 30 years old at the exact average throughout his career...(now I will note that some have retired before then,but many have gone on to play till they were 35...)keep that in mind as you read further! :2cents:

Portis career

--------------

7,715 yards rushing

63 rushing TD's

4.5 YRDs/Carry

91.8 YRDS/Game

Now,if Portis is to play for 4 more years till he is 30...we need to take his average from what he has done up to this point.... :2cents:

Portis in 4 years when he's 30(on pace for)

-------------------------------------------

12,858 yards rushing

105 TD's

same

same

So where does this stack up, among the NFL's greatest RB's ever in just those 2 categories? :point2sky

ALL-Time RB's in Rushing Yards

-------------------------------

#1)Emmitt Smith 18,355(HOFer)

#2)Walter Payton 16,726(HOFer)

#3)Barry Sanders 15,269(HOFer)

#4)Curtis Martin 14,101(not yet qualified)

#5)Jerome Bettis 13,662(not yet qualified)

#6)Eric Dickerson 13,259(HOFer)

#7)Clinton Portis 12,858(UNKNOWN)

#8)Tony Dorsett 12,739(HOfer)

ALL-Time RB's in Rushing TD's

-------------------------------

Emmitt Smith 164(HOFer)

Marcus Allen 123(HOFer)

L.Thomlinson 115(currently active)

Walter Payton 110(HOFer)

Jim Brown 106(HOFer)

Clinton Portis 105(UNKNOWN)

John Riggins 104(HOFer)

Considering that the majority is in the HOF,with the exception to those currently active or not yet qualified due to the 5 year waiting period,it would be a lock for Portis to make it....of course he would be a Redskin,so who knows? :mad:

Of course he has taken alot of punishment and has had many carries in Gibbs offense,but with Zorn's new system...it may hopefully extend his playing career by a couple of years hopefully...

Hypothetically speaking....If he played till he was 31...he would be 3rd or 4th All-time in Rushing TD's and just pass Curtis Martin for 4th All-Time in Rushing Yards... :D

That would definately make him a lock!!

Obsessed are we?

Lets not forget that his numbers have been down since he joined the Skins. His numbers were higher when he was in Denver were I believe they ran a WCO. I expect his numbers to start looking more like they did in Denver this year.

Lets also not forget that Portis plays 16 games a year. Most of the HOF'ers didn't have that luxury.

The problem with Portis is that when the time comes to evaluate his career, the question is going to be: Where did he rank among his peers?

At any point, has Clinton been considered one of the five best backs in football? I honestly don't know.

History will probably go something like this when it comes to the best backs of the mid-2000s:

1. Tomlinson

2. Alexander

3. James

With Portis, Barber, Johnson, Jackson, etc all in the running for 4 through 10.

I, yes, I think Alexander is highly over-rated. But his resume will include an MVP, a Super Bowl appearance, a rushing title, and some Touchdown titles. Clinton's resume has none of that.

Maybe we should compare his current/projected stats to other current players. I think for this era of football, there may be better choices for future HOF'ers if you're basing it on stats.

He does need some rushing titles and/or a ring to be heavily considered among his peers.

Is that all it will take?

The question is really this: Has Clinton peaked or not?

I know he is still extremely young, but he has over 1900 "touches" in his career. That's an awful lot of work for a physical runner.

Earl Campbell had 2300 touches and was a shell of a man when he retired.

He's nothing without the hardware.

Those stats would be good, but not enough to get him in the hall.

How many superbowl rings does Barry Sanders have?? You dont need to win the big game in order to make it to the HOF...

Good research...

No championship, no lock.....sorry to say.

Barry Sanders... IN with no championship

Eric Dickerson... IN with no championship

Curtis Martin... most likely IN with no championship

Ladanian Tomlinson... most likely IN with no championship (As long as Norv is the coach)

Art Monk won 3 Super Bowls, and it took him a while... depends on the voters...

I think his post season performance hurts him. He's been in playoff games 4 times now and he's yet to really put up any numbers or make a difference in those games.

70 carries - 214 yards in the post season. And I think only 1 TD.

That's where he needs to improve if he's to be considered for the HOF.

Exactly. As much as i love portis and would like to see him in the hall. I seriously doubt he gets unless he wins a superbowl.

If thats the case where is B Sanders ring? Oh thats right he dosen't have one. Niether dose E Dickerson !! So forget that part of it. If he stays in the league long enough to reach those stats He will be just fine with the Hall.

Fact: Only Barry Sanders and Jim Brown had more yards at their five year point than Portis. (Neither of them won a Super Bowl, either.)

Okay, stop this thread of the conversation right there.

Seriously, if you can't tell what was special about Barry Sanders that Portis doesn't (and didn't) quite have, you might need to review the tape.

If you can't tell that Jim Brown is arguably the most incredible athlete in any sport at any time, well...

Those two probably aren't the best parallels for Portis. ;^)

The projection for his stats are also skewed by his two monster years in Denver. I ran some numbers a few months back of what his stats might look like if at the bare minimum, he produced what his replacements did, and his numbers were definitely HOF.

If he had stayed with the Broncos, I guarantee he would've had a very prolific career. As a Redskin... It's in Jim Zorn's hands now.

the reason Clinton Portis took the number 26, is because he thought he would be done by that age. in an interview on ESPN a long time ago, he said he wanted to walk away from the game , not forced to leave it. I would love to see him go but from what he said and I hate to say this but I don't see him having 5 more strong years.

For any back to make the HOF, longevity is the key. I think that is what is going to keep Terrell Davis out of the HOF, despite the great years he had.

The only question I have about Portis is, can he keep it up? With it likely that the load on him will ease up somewhat, it is very possible. With the exception of the shoulder injury, Portis has been a pretty healthy back for most of his career, even with the way he plays.

He'll definitely eclipse Riggo's Redskins record eventually. He'll likely be #2 after this season and three full seasons should do it to get up there.

Jason

Archived