Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't think Clinton Portis is a HOFer?Look here and be surprised....!

michael_33

For any back to make the HOF, longevity is the key. I think that is what is going to keep Terrell Davis out of the HOF, despite the great years he had.

Longevity is key, but even more important is how much the media wants to hug the player's nuts. That's why I think Terrell Davis WILL get into the HOF one way or another.

I cannot answer about the HOF.... non-football players have too much say...BUT I will say that Portis is a FOOTBALL PLAYER through and through....not a great athelete who plays football but a FOOTBALL PLAYER....he can be soooo relaxed and seems (to some) like he doesn't care BUT once the ball is snapped he's 110% from whistle to whistle! He's the ONLY redskin that I've ever watched and wanted him to slow-it-down a bit b/c he plays in a break-neck manner. Hell, when he hurt his shoulder, he got hurt going harder than he really had to...but there's something about FOOTBALL PLAYERS, they're full tilt (in a trance) until the whistle....I am glad we have him!

CP is a GREAT back in this era. Not only is he a threat with the ball, but also without...ask the # of linebackers he has decleated in the last few years with the skins.

Bottom line he is a Redskin and we all love him (or we should for those fans that want Betts, I can't even begin to address how much you need to learn about the game). He has the Skins single season rushing record, 1516 in 05, and is tied for 100 yard games in a season (5). He also is one of only 3 RB's to rush for 1500 yards in 3 of his first 4 seasons. Remember we are talking about his entire picture, so Portis holds another record in that his first 2 seasons he average 5.5 ypc, which is an NFL record, irregardless of where he played it was the NFL. He was NFL offensive rookie of the year, has scored 5 rushing td's in a game (in 03 which hasn't been done since). Unfortunately he has only been to one Pro Bowl.

Away from the stats, one could argue CP deserved the PB vote in 05 (over Warrick Dunn) as well as this year over MB. That would put him in 3 PB's in 7 seasons (one season out to injury).

If he should maintain the pace started in this thread, and that's a big if, for 3-4 more seasons, continue to block the way he does, I don't see how he can be left out of the hall. All time #'s, consistency, well rounded game including blocking should put him in a good position.

It would help to have our Redskins become consistent winners and a few Championships or even a few Champ games under his belt, but by no means is it a requirement.

Sorry but according to my stats, Portis hasn't been healthy from week # 16 on in the 4 years he's been here. And neither was he in his last year at Denver.

That's not a Hall of famer.

Portis practically carried this team for a few years on his back alone. There wasn't much to help his cause.

As far as the HOF vote, it's far too early to say. But I wil piggy back what others have said and go with longevity. If he can give it 5 more solid years (little to no injuries), followed by a few more in a more reserved role, he'll have to be a lock with or without the hardware based solely where his stats would b.

As much as I love Clinton Portis and as good as I think he is I am constantly amazed when I look at his career stats.

Every time I look at stats like that I'm like wow, I didn't realize he was that good compared to the Hall of Famers.

I think a Super Bowl would seal the deal but he could probably go in without one. The key is staying healthy over the next few years and keeping his production up. Plus he's a popular guy who's well respected, that always helps.

Yeah, Portis is 26, but as Clayton reported the guy does not really take care of himself with healthy eating and such and he has the body of a guy who is a few years older. Unfortunately, I think Portis is going to start to break down when he is 28 or 29 when all these minor injuries start to add up.

However, I do believe that if he can get one Shaun Alexanderish MVP caliber season where he just goes crazy and can get to 10,000 yards, I think he is in.

Archived