Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't think Clinton Portis is a HOFer?Look here and be surprised....!

michael_33

So I decided to do a little research on our man Clinton Portis a while ago and I came up with some interesting #'s...I got this info at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PortCl00.htm a well popular choice for info...

There are many different stats you can go by on a player to compare him to all the other great RB's to ever play the game,but I went by the most popular and the 2 most important catagories that would definately be looked at to the HOF committee...Rushing TD's and Rushing Yards...

Portis is currently 41st in Rushing Yards of ALL-Time

and currently tied for 33rd with RB/FL Lenny Moore in TD's ALL-Time

So you may ask...What makes Portis so special,that he will have a prayer at even being considered to be inducted into the HOF?Portis is only 26 years old!

So I decided to see what his stats would look like, if he plays till he's 30 years old at the exact average throughout his career...(now I will note that some have retired before then,but many have gone on to play till they were 35...)keep that in mind as you read further! :2cents:

Portis career

--------------

7,715 yards rushing

63 rushing TD's

4.5 YRDs/Carry

91.8 YRDS/Game

Now,if Portis is to play for 4 more years till he is 30...we need to take his average from what he has done up to this point.... :2cents:

Portis in 4 years when he's 30(on pace for)

-------------------------------------------

12,858 yards rushing

105 TD's

same

same

So where does this stack up, among the NFL's greatest RB's ever in just those 2 categories? :point2sky

ALL-Time RB's in Rushing Yards

-------------------------------

#1)Emmitt Smith 18,355(HOFer)

#2)Walter Payton 16,726(HOFer)

#3)Barry Sanders 15,269(HOFer)

#4)Curtis Martin 14,101(not yet qualified)

#5)Jerome Bettis 13,662(not yet qualified)

#6)Eric Dickerson 13,259(HOFer)

#7)Clinton Portis 12,858(UNKNOWN)

#8)Tony Dorsett 12,739(HOfer)

ALL-Time RB's in Rushing TD's

-------------------------------

Emmitt Smith 164(HOFer)

Marcus Allen 123(HOFer)

L.Thomlinson 115(currently active)

Walter Payton 110(HOFer)

Jim Brown 106(HOFer)

Clinton Portis 105(UNKNOWN)

John Riggins 104(HOFer)

Considering that the majority is in the HOF,with the exception to those currently active or not yet qualified due to the 5 year waiting period,it would be a lock for Portis to make it....of course he would be a Redskin,so who knows? :mad:

Of course he has taken alot of punishment and has had many carries in Gibbs offense,but with Zorn's new system...it may hopefully extend his playing career by a couple of years hopefully...

Hypothetically speaking....If he played till he was 31...he would be 3rd or 4th All-time in Rushing TD's and just pass Curtis Martin for 4th All-Time in Rushing Yards... :D

That would definately make him a lock!!

LT's touchdown numbers are freakin ridiculous

but in response to the topic, Clinton has an outside shot at the HOF. 3 or 4 more strong years would certainly help his cause.

I was thinking the same thing about LT.

If Portis can stay healthy long enough I can see him getting a few pro bowls down the road giving him a pretty decent chance at the HOF. I really see him flourishing in Zorn's new offense (Shaun Alexander). A championship would help as well, as others have already pointed out.

No championship, no lock.....sorry to say.

yup they were talking about this before i think on redskins radio? maybe it was john riggins show...anyways saying cooley/portis would have a good shot if we won some championships around here.. if not it doesnt look good:(

His HOF stats and pro bowls are coming now that we're building a legitimate passing attack. We've been too predictable, without strength at WR and it's been hard for him to run against a stacked line.

:2cents:

Thanks for the numbers and I do think that you're being conservative with those numbers. I think Clinton still has a few big seasons (1500 or more) in him before he begins to slow down.

No question (barring an injury) Clinton will have HOF numbers when he calls it a career.

The pro bowl stuff should not be a factor. How many pro bowls did John Riggins have? One and that was as a member of the Jets. Some may say that his Super Bowl run offset 1 pro bowl, then I'd say Clinton gaining 13000 to 14000 yards will offset his 1 pro bowl (assuming he continues to get screwed and jokes like Marion Barber get in ahead of him) regardless of his team getting to a Super Bowl or not.

Not to be a hater but the big assumption that you make in your assessment is that he will retain the same numbers for the next 4 years. That is asking a lot from a running back who has been in the league for 5 years already. The average lifespan of a running back is 4-6 years so I will completely agree with you that if he maintains his numbers for another 4 years he deserves to be in the HOF. I just think that he only has 1-2 years left in the tank but I would love to be proved wrong.

As for the superbowl argument, that is legitimate. Someone posted earlier that Barry Sanders didn't win a superbowl and he got into the HOF, why not Clinton? Well, Barry Sanders was a freak and a human highlight show on with no lead blocker on a sub par Detroit Lion team. Probably the best football moves from anyone who has stepped onto the field. Barry is in a class of his own, no comparison can be made to Clinton in this regard.

Hopefully we win a superbowl in the next 4 years so we don't have to discuss deficiency. ;)

Archived