Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we go after Haynesworth?

oraphus

No. If you look closely, the DEs get up the field but the QB just steps forward where our DTs should be. We need a DT to collapse that pocket and flush the QB out to our DEs or make him scramble. A new DT would make our DEs look good.

Andre Carter and Jason Taylor got good pressure off the edge but Shaun Hill just stepped up in the pocket because our DTs are wimps and cant get any push.

NO!

Lets draft the next Haynesworth instead of pouring more money into the present one whose already put forth his best seasons.

Let's also draft the next <insert elite player here> and the next <insert another random elite player here>. The problem is there is no way to know what player will be great and what player won't. Yes you have a better shot at it if you have excellent scouting people, but you can never be sure. Ryan Sims and Wendell Bryant were both DTs drafted ahead of Henderson in 02. I'm not all about spending sprees in FA. I believe in building through the draft. But if a young player as good as him at a position where we really need help is available and has no draft picks attached I say you at least make a damn good effort to grab him. But I also agree with Bang. I want to see how his injury heals up before seriously considering dropping big money on him.

First i want to say hello everyone in redskins nation. I am a die hard redskins fan born in raised in Rockville Maryland. I now live in northeren West Virginia in Steeler country.

As for the topic at hand i feel that hayneswoth would deffinatly help, but i would rather draft the next up and comming. Instead i would rather go after terrell Suggs. Watching him play against us this year and pittsburgh the last few years the man is awesome.

If we can get Suggs maybe a free agent ol or 2 and then draft more ol and dl. i feel it wouuld put us over the top.

Also looking at the schedual and the way we play to level of our opponents next year we gould go 16-1. 1 loss being to a crap team

Turn in your Redskin fan card at the door on the way out. The fact that you endorse anyone harming another human in that fashion, cowboy or not, makes you a disgusting person. :doh:

had he run thru the guy and smashed him to hell and back then ya hey .. but what he did, even to our enemy, was beyond belief and unacceptable.

The problem with signing Haynesworth is that it would be like signing Griffin, Randy Thomas or Springs all over again. Haynesworth has been in the league for seven years battling in the trenches. If we got him here it would have to be anywhere between five to seven years on a contract. He won't be able to play all the way through. We need to keep building through the draft and let the players have time to grow before we start signing probowl free agents.

Don't think it's going to happen: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799687

I really like what Haynesworth has done for the Titans over the past two seasons. Haynesworth is a rare breed; a dominant pass rusher and a run stuffer. If we signed Haynesworth this offseason, our defense would likely become a dominant, Super Bowl caliber defense. That said, I would be adamantly opposed to signing him for the following reasons.

As we all know, Haynesworth has serious character flaws. In college, he got into a fight with a "teammate," left practice, retrieved a long pole, returned to practice with said pole, and began looking for his "teammate." With the Titans, he got into a fight with "teammate" Justin Hartwig and, when Hartwig fell to the ground, kicked him in the ribs and had to be kicked off of the practice field by coaches. In the now infamous "head stomping incident," Haynesworth reportedly removed Gurode's helmet before stomping on Gurode's face with his cleats. To top it off, Haynesworth began yelling at his head coach after being ejected from the game. Now, I realize that many people want someone with an "attitude." I want someone with a mean streak. I want someone who plays with a high degree of physicality. But is that really the kind of "attitude" we want on our team?

Additionally, Haynesworth has a reputation for being a lazy underachiever. Now, obviously I've never worked out with Haynesworth and I don't know him personally. However, it is pretty telling that he did not become a marquee player until the final year of his rookie contract. In the first five years of his career, Haynesworth averaged a paltry 2 sacks per season. In the last two years (both of which were "contract years"), Haynesworth averaged about 7 sacks per season. That's not proof that Haynesworth was lazy and underperformed for several years, but it gives credence to rumors about his work ethic.

Call me crazy, but I do not think it would be wise to give millions of dollars of cap room to a loose cannon who has a long history of problems, is already in the sights of Sheriff Goodell, and seems to only produce when he's playing for a contract.

Finally, Haynesworth's deal is going to break someone's bank. Do we really want to compete with other teams flush with cap room to improve a top 5 defense when we have pressing needs along the O-line and would like to re-sign Hall and Rogers? We do not have limitless cap room, hence the word "cap." We would be best served by spending our money on positions of need, not on luxuries like Haynesworth.

Guest Barricade

We definitely need a stud DT, but breaking the bank and causing potential locker room troubles isn't worth it. Scout/draft well and hope we bring in someone that makes an impact.

• 5 months later...
I can't believe how many people don't understand the situation. He is an unrestricted free agent and can't be franchised. That means if tennessee doesn't get him under contract he'll be free to join whichever team pays him the most. Again, WE WON'T BE TRADING DRAFT PICKS FOR THIS GUY. All he'll do is cost us money, and, let's be honest, we're paying griffin 6 million dollars to be an extremely average player. Paying Haynesworth 9 million a year would add more than the 3 million dollar difference in paychecks.

Does haynesworth make us a contender? Not by himself. But there is this wonderful effect that happens. We fill a need at DT with a YOUNG player and we can concentrate on our o-line with the draft. Yes, we have a top 5 d, but we could take the leap from great defense to game-winning defense. More sacks, more turnovers, less running room. Did the ravens have a better offense than we have now in 2001? No. They just had the best d in the league by far. Our d held people down in yards but it is amazing how much better an offense looks when the d creates turnovers. Our defense did not do that.

This is a really good post in my opinion and still rings true to me. I am now glad we ended up getting big Al, I was unsure at first.

Turn in your Redskin fan card at the door on the way out. The fact that you endorse anyone harming another human in that fashion, cowboy or not, makes you a disgusting person. :doh:

????????:dallasuck

lol good to see some the old ignorant comments from back in the day. If we win a superbowl soon we should gather all the Hayneworth and Hall and every other iffy pick up we got from free agency and just laugh...(yea I kno thats unlikely)

Archived