Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we go after Haynesworth?

oraphus

I would feel A LOT better if we had him. (Watch out for the spelling police - please notice that Iz beez edukated and spelt it wright).

I read somewhere the Haynesworth and Gurode got this worked out later. Evidently he apologized and made some other amends directly to Gurode, evidently with some sincerity...I saw a video where they were talking reasonably to each other a few years later...

We all do stupid s**t, especially when we were young and fired up on whatever...

I even bet OldSkool did to...probably stole his Dad's Brontosaurus and took it for a joy ride or something... j/k OldSkool - lighten up...

Why does everyone keep saying we need a DE not a DT? Chris Wilson and Carter are fine. I thought Vinny stated that our issue was with needing a DT......not a DE. I agreed with that statement as well.

The plan is to use Carter on one side, while rotating Phillip Daniels, Chris Wilson and Marcus Washington on the other side. Marcus Washington.

No, that was just 1 first. I think we gave 2 for Butz, but am unsure if he was franchised. Geez, that was a long time ago. Thanks for making me feel old.

Hmmmm.... I thought we originally had 3 No. 1s in 2000 and packaged two of them to move up to the No. 2 or No. 3 (whichever one we didnt already have) pick when we took Arrington and Samuels back to back? If I remember correctly, Carolina traded something to Miami so they would have two 1st round picks in the same draft and not have to give up a 1st in back to back years.

Eitherway, Haynesworth would be way to expensive but I would love to have him.

Hmmmm.... I thought we originally had 3 No. 1s in 2000 and packaged two of them to move up to the No. 2 or No. 3 (whichever one we didnt already have) pick when we took Arrington and Samuels back to back? If I remember correctly, Carolina traded something to Miami so they would have two 1st round picks in the same draft and not have to give up a 1st in back to back years.

Eitherway, Haynesworth would be way to expensive but I would love to have him.

I'm confused. I though we were talking about us or anyone actually giving the 2 firsts for a franchised player against the other teams will.

• 7 months later...
El's cap hit's that bad huh?

Thank you once again Vinny for the big contract.

Would that be as bad an outcome if he was cut, out of curiosity?

Hail.

His cap hit is not the issue at least from our perspective.

He is in the middle of a 6 year contract and it escalates to something like $6 million in base salary next year.

So, any team that gets him would be paying huge money for someone who may not be the 3rd best receiver on whatever team he goes to.

His cap hit is not the issue at least from our perspective.

He is in the middle of a 6 year contract and it escalates to something like $6 million in base salary next year.

So' date=' any team that gets him would be paying huge money for someone who may not be the 3rd best receiver on whatever team he goes to.[/quote']

Ah, I see, ty.

So basically, unless El was prepared to restructure and take a major loss, or unless we can dupe some fools in to taking on his present deal as is, were basically stuck with him.

Excuse my cap ignorance, but hypotheticaly, if we cut him, would the base still count against the cap, or is that bonus related?

Hail.

Ah, I see, ty.

So basically, unless El was prepared to restructure and take a major loss, or unless we can dupe some fools in to taking on his present deal as is, were basically stuck with him.

Excuse my cap ignorance, but hypotheticaly, if we cut him, would the base still count against the cap, or is that bonus related?

Hail.

If you cut him, only the pro-rated bonus hits the cap.

I say no to Haynesworth, mainly for one reason:

Does signing Haynesworth make us a contender? I say no, because we had a top 5 defense without him, and still ended up last in our division. Our problems are on offense, and aren't easily correctable. It will probably take a couple years to become a contender, IF we start doing things right immediately. By that time, Haynesworth could be a cap casuality or past his prime (see C. Griffin), meaning he never helped us win anything meaningful anyway.

If I thought we were a player or two away from contending, then yeah, get Haynesworth. But we aren't. We need help everywhere. So I see no point in spending BOATLOADS of money on a player that most likely won't be around by the time we can get to a level to compete for a SB.

I'd rather suck while accumulating young talent and draft picks than suck with high-priced free-agents like we normally do.

I didn't see this posted, but if it has feel free to delete or merge.

After reading this article

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080430/SPORTS01/804300418/1027

"Contract negotiations between the Titans and Albert Haynesworth remain at a standstill, but that doesn't mean the All-Pro defensive tackle is just sitting around this offseason, his agent said Tuesday."

i am thinking the Skins should make a play for Haynesworth.

We can offer up Randel El as part of a trade and may be next years 2nd rnd pick.

I like Randel el but feel that he hasn't really performed up to his contract.. weather it be because he wasnt utilized right or just couldn't perform.. doesn't matter. The 08 draft and Mathis make him expendable.

reasons:

We have cap space due to all the contract restructuring.

We fill a need for a great DT

TN needs WRs bad... El would be a good pick up for them..

ok.. let me have it.

Go with the draft, period. Stop with the trading future draft picks.

Titans won't give up Haynesworth and even if he was up for grabs, we need a DE more than a miscreant DT.

No. If you look closely, the DEs get up the field but the QB just steps forward where our DTs should be. We need a DT to collapse that pocket and flush the QB out to our DEs or make him scramble. A new DT would make our DEs look good.

I can't believe how many people don't understand the situation. He is an unrestricted free agent and can't be franchised. That means if tennessee doesn't get him under contract he'll be free to join whichever team pays him the most. Again, WE WON'T BE TRADING DRAFT PICKS FOR THIS GUY. All he'll do is cost us money, and, let's be honest, we're paying griffin 6 million dollars to be an extremely average player. Paying Haynesworth 9 million a year would add more than the 3 million dollar difference in paychecks.

Does haynesworth make us a contender? Not by himself. But there is this wonderful effect that happens. We fill a need at DT with a YOUNG player and we can concentrate on our o-line with the draft. Yes, we have a top 5 d, but we could take the leap from great defense to game-winning defense. More sacks, more turnovers, less running room. Did the ravens have a better offense than we have now in 2001? No. They just had the best d in the league by far. Our d held people down in yards but it is amazing how much better an offense looks when the d creates turnovers. Our defense did not do that.

Archived