Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Smell a Spurrier Like Season?

Zarg

why even bring this up, it does nothing but make me depressed

Well, when I hear people saying that some formations have 2 TE's going out in pass routes leaving uhhhh... no one other than 5 linemen... wow... scary not depressing.

OK, with Spurrier we had Dung Canidate and Betts as RB's. Stephen Davis was in too, and not fit for that offense.

For WR's we had: Gardner, Reidel Anthony, Chris Doehring, Willie Jackson, Jacquez Green, Derrius Thompson, Darnerien McCants, in some order. Gardner was the only consistent ones. 4 of those guys were former Gators and good in college, and that's about it.

Also, our TE's were Robert Royal, and Zeron Flemister. Yeah, two people who couldn't really catch or do much of anything else.

Here, we have Portis who should excel in this offense due to his receiving skills. We have a more experienced and better Betts who can also catch.

We already know Moss and Randle El and Cooley can play, and now we just add two more potential playmakers in Thomas and Kelly, and another TE from a school in USC, where athletes from there tend to start quickly and produce well.

Yeh, also, Joe Bugel is still around.

What an idiotic thought. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Who is the apple and who is the orange and which one is better, Mr. Idiotic thought replier? Reasons... Thanks for the idiotic reference JA.....

I agree that we will probabaly throw ten more passes a game, at aleast. The thing is though that they will be shorter, safer routes. The thing they made the fun and gun not work was mostly lack of talent. Other then coles we had no offensive threats. I am excited to see that we are going to try to put up some more points. Thomas, Kelly, and Davis give us big strong goal line targets. We can have stong run packages that involve two great pass catching te's, or go 4 wide and spread the field. Simply put we took the best three players on the board, all three were thought of as first rounds picks at one point in recent time.

OK, with Spurrier we had Dung Canidate and Betts as RB's. Stephen Davis was in too, and not fit for that offense.

For WR's we had: Gardner, Reidel Anthony, Chris Doehring, Willie Jackson, Jacquez Green, Derrius Thompson, Darnerien McCants, in some order. Gardner was the only consistent ones. 4 of those guys were former Gators and good in college, and that's about it.

Also, our TE's were Robert Royal, and Zeron Flemister. Yeah, two people who couldn't really catch or do much of anything else.

Here, we have Portis who should excel in this offense due to his receiving skills. We have a more experienced and better Betts who can also catch.

We already know Moss and Randle El and Cooley can play, and now we just add two more potential playmakers in Thomas and Kelly, and another TE from a school in USC, where athletes from there tend to start quickly and produce well.

Yeh, also, Joe Bugel is still around.

Thanks Mr. S for your kindful insight and not calling my thought idiotic but actually giving reasons.... I can definately see your view but when I think of some of the others I just see bowls of fruit!?

The problem with Spurrier is that he brought in a bunch of former Gators. Also, he sent out too many receivers every down. While we have a lot of talent on Offense, we will focus on protecting the QB. Protecting the QB didn't seem to be a big focus with Spurrier's Offense.

Big difference. Zorn did his time in the Pros', was a skill player, and knows what works.

He will also bring more credibility to the table than Spurrier, and I doubt the players will say "This WCO thing isn't going to work in the Pro's!".

Spurrier spent 10 years as a QB in the NFL.

I'm not saying that Zorn = Spurrier, but don't act like Spurrier didn't spend time at a skill position in the NFL.

I'm not saying that Zorn = Spurrier, but don't act like Spurrier didn't spend time in the NFL.

Big difference, Spurrier didn't learn how to coach under Holmgren. If Zorn fails, it'll be the first failure of the Holmgren tree. My bets are on the success of Holmgren as a mentor.

Spurrier didn't have the talent Zorn has at his disposal.

I've knocked this Oline in the past because I don't think it's nearly as good as it's hype, but it's light years better than the Oline we had in 02. Do the names Wilbert Brown, Larry Moore, David Loverne, Brenden Stai, and Alex Sulfsted ring any bells?

Here's the thing, I still think the Fun n gun could work in the NFL, Spurrier just had the misfortune (some of his own doing by insisting on Gators) of not having NFL talent to run it while with the Skins.

I'm not saying that Zorn = Spurrier, but don't act like Spurrier didn't spend time at a skill position in the NFL.

Are you kidding? Spurrier played with the Bucs when they were worse than a JV football team. Do you consider a 30 year old guy who played pee-wee league when he was in first grade to have football experience? Come on???

Zarg, I dont see what would be scary about at times only having 5 lineman blocking (in which most cases CP will likely help). 5 blocking lineman is quite normal. The beauty in the two te's package is that you still have your best two wr's, two pass catching as well as strong blocking te's, and CP on the field. With 7 big boys up front the team must respect the run to such a degree that it opens up lanes for athletic TE's. Generally in these situations the other team goes with their standard 2 cb packages putting cooley and davis in 1-1 matchups with a safety or linebacker. More times then not we will win such a battle.

Archived