Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Smell a Spurrier Like Season?

Zarg

Honestly, I could see us having a season very akin to the Chargers last season. We have a TON of weapons. We will probably stumble a bit in the first 2 or 3 games, but when it clicks.... FRIGHTENING. By November all the talking heads might be yammering on and on about our offense.

Its very, very possible. Not a given, but just maybe.

We already know Moss and Randle El and Cooley can play, and now we just add two more potential playmakers in Thomas and Kelly, and another TE from a school in USC, where athletes from there tend to start quickly and produce well.

You need to rethink that. Offensive players from USC usually never live up to there hype, minus the exception of Carson Palmer, I don't see much to like about this list that lived up to expectations. The reason we were able to draft Davis is because other teams know that USC players are great in college and bad pro's usually and he's got suspect work ethic so he dropped to us. I hope he turns out to be the rare USC player and not the typical player.

William Buchanon, WR - Oakland Raiders

Reggie Bush, RB - New Orleans Saints

Dominique Byrd, TE - St. Louis Rams

Matt Cassel, QB - New England Patriots

Keary Colbert, WR - Denver Broncos

Kori Dickerson, TE - Detroit Lions

Justin Fargas, RB - Oakland Raiders

Gregg Guenther, TE - Tennessee Titans

Alex Holmes, TE - St. Louis Rams

Dwayne Jarrett, WR - Carolina Panthers

David Kirtman, RB - Seattle Seahawks

Matt Leinart, QB - Arizona Cardinals

Chris McFoy, WR - Oakland Raiders

Billy Miller, TE - New Orleans Saints

Chad Morton, RB - New York Giants

Carson Palmer, QB - Cincinnati Bengals

Steve Smith, WR - New York Giants

LenDale White, RB - Tennessee Titans

Mike Williams, WR - Tennessee Titans

Is it just me or am I smelling a Spurrier like season? All offensive weapons going out to catch a pass and the opposition playing Rock'em Sock'em Robots with our QB's. Notice I did say QB's...

I'm pretty optimistic about our chances. Atleast Zorn is current with the modern NFL. Spurrier didn't have a clue!!!!!!!

When I think of the Suprrier experiment, I think of poorly executed game plans, poor personnel decisions, and college mentality not suited for the pros. Jim Zorn doesn't follow any of that so far. He kept most of the roster from the Gibbs era while Suprrier went out and filled the team with Gators. He's also from the Mike Holmgrin coaching tree, which has produced numerous successful coaches and he has been in the pros for years. So no, I don't think this will be a Suprrier like season.

However, given that we're implementing a new West Coast Offense with a new coach with players that have been working under a totally different kind of offense for the past few years, I'm not expecting a championship either. I'll be content with 8-8. Now it may not be that good and we may go through some growing pains, but I get the feeling that Snyder and Zorn are on the same page and will get it done in the long run.

Spurrier spent 10 years as a QB in the NFL.

I'm not saying that Zorn = Spurrier, but don't act like Spurrier didn't spend time at a skill position in the NFL.

Unlike "Spurious" Zorn has coached in the NFL before becoming a head coach. Not to mention Zorn isn't an egomaniac like the "ole ball coach." Zorn cares more about winning thant proving he is an offensive genius.

Is it just me or am I smelling a Spurrier like season? All offensive weapons going out to catch a pass and the opposition playing Rock'em Sock'em Robots with our QB's. Notice I did say QB's...

No. Spurrier did not know how to make adjustments. That was his downfall. That really stems from being a college coach all those years.

Zorn is from the Holmgren tree which up until this point, is pretty pedigree. I myself was pulling for GW... but what the hell. Bring on the season and lets find out!

No. It won't be like that.

Spurrier mainly failed for 2 reasons.

1. Lack of talent... he insisted on having all his Gator players here, who just weren't NFL players.

2. and most importantly, Spurrier just didn't devote himself to the job.

I think this post is pretty accurate.

There is nothing inherently flawed in Spurrier's "system". In fact, a similar system produced a Super Bowl champion the season before last. But compare the skill positions for the Colts to that of the Spurrier Redskins and you'll see why the Colts flavor of that system worked so well and Spurrier's didn't. Start at QB. There is nothing inherently wrong with only using OL for pass protection and getting the rest out in the route. You get a Manning behind that line, who knows to pull that trigger quickly, and you don't need a brick wall up front, only some guys to slow down the rushers.

And, while I don't think Spurrier was as cavalier in his approach as is commonly depicted, I don't think he had the monomaniacal zeal of your typical NFL coach. While I think there is a point of diminishing returns to the grinding that NFL coaches do, there is something to be said for the coach's committment level rubbing off on the players, both in their committment level and the level of confidence they have in the coaching staff.

There's another reason Spurrier didn't work out here that doesn't apply to Zorn. He brought in the "Spurrier Offense" -- a design that had not been proven at the NFL level and seemed to flunk the test. Zorn brings in a Holmgren-modified WCO offense -- a proven winner that creates options for the QB while it also protects him.

OK, with Spurrier we had Dung Canidate and Betts as RB's. Stephen Davis was in too, and not fit for that offense.

For WR's we had: Gardner, Reidel Anthony, Chris Doehring, Willie Jackson, Jacquez Green, Derrius Thompson, Darnerien McCants, in some order. Gardner was the only consistent ones. 4 of those guys were former Gators and good in college, and that's about it.

Also, our TE's were Robert Royal, and Zeron Flemister. Yeah, two people who couldn't really catch or do much of anything else.

Here, we have Portis who should excel in this offense due to his receiving skills. We have a more experienced and better Betts who can also catch.

We already know Moss and Randle El and Cooley can play, and now we just add two more potential playmakers in Thomas and Kelly, and another TE from a school in USC, where athletes from there tend to start quickly and produce well.

Yeh, also, Joe Bugel is still around.

And don't forget the obvious. The WCO has better blocking schemes and routes than the Fun and Gun.

To suggest that means that the OP doesn't understand why Spurrier failed. It had nothing to do with him throwing too much. It had to do with protection schemes and risky plays more than anything. Combine that with a stubborn, inability to adapt his system and you have a recipe for disaster. The WCO places a premium on quick passes.

Dont think this is anything like Spurrier. First of all, Zorn was a successfull QB in the NFL when he played (so he knows the pro game well). Second, Zorn has repeatedly said we will be a running team first (Spurrier never said that). Third, Im sure he has check downs and hot routes built into his offense unlike Spurrier who tried to spread everyone out and get the QB killed. Lets give the guy a chance and not compare him to one of the worst coaches we have ever had. Zorn's interviews already show he is way smarter than Spurrier.

Archived