Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Smell a Spurrier Like Season?

Zarg

the West Coast offense is a hell of a lot more proven than Spurrier's Chuck - n-Duck stuff.

It's based on short passes and getting the ball out fast rather than wait for receivers to get long.

We have a solid OL that can protect the QB, and you'll see less of the seven step drop, set up, scan and throw.. you'll see a lot more three steps- turn- and throw on a timer.

I think the fears are unfounded based on the offensive schemes themselves. One is a successful pro scheme, the other is schoolyard stuff drawn up in the dirt.

~Bang

Is it just me or am I smelling a Spurrier like season? All offensive weapons going out to catch a pass and the opposition playing Rock'em Sock'em Robots with our QB's. Notice I did say QB's...

It's you, how in the hell can you compare Spurrier to Zorn?

Spurrier never served as an assistant in any capacity in the NFL, no experience with the pro game. Spurrier was a lousy communicator and too damn passive. He didn't know how to X and O protection for his QB.

Zorn is a disciple of a proven offensive stratergy that has worked starting with the likes of Don Corryell (sp), and his tree of students that includes Gibbs and Homgrem and Bill Walsh.

Don't try to start a thread on this subject because obviously you don't have a clue why the Skins selected the players they did and had to.

Move on!

Are you kidding? Spurrier played with the Bucs when they were worse than a JV football team. Do you consider a 30 year old guy who played pee-wee league when he was in first grade to have football experience? Come on???

Spurrier played with the Bucs for ONE year. The nine years before that he was with the 49ers, including their back to back trips to the NFC championship game in the early 70s. (Granted, he wasn't a starter until '73 when the Niners started to suck again, but how exactly is that "pee-wee league")

Besides, do me the favor of reading my post and seeing that I am not comparing Zorn to Spurrier. I'm just saying don't act like Spurrier didn't spend 10 years as a QB in the NFL.

I don't think so. Spurrier didn't have recent NFL time when he returned. Zorn was working with one of the best in Holmgren for years in the NFL. The caliber of players we have now coming off of a playoff year are much better and we've acquired more playmakers in the draft to work with. JC is developing but is getting better and better proving to be solid as our starting QB. Remember Spurrier's QB carousel... The defense shouldn't be in transition as we have basically the same players and coaches except for GW (that still pains me that he was let go!) and we are getting more depth and younger at many positions on the team. Special Teams still has Danny Smith at the helm. That should be a solid unit there.

I'm excited about the upcoming season! Will we have bumps in the road and suffer tough losses? I think we will, but I think we're on the way up, not down as was the case in the Spurrier years. My two cents!

Hail!

Big difference, Spurrier didn't learn how to coach under Holmgren. If Zorn fails, it'll be the first failure of the Holmgren tree. My bets are on the success of Holmgren as a mentor.

I'll just repeat what I said:

I'm not saying Zorn = Spurrier.

Hell, I'm not even comparing the two, I'm just saying Spurrier played 10 years in the NFL.

I too think Zorn will do much better, and for the exact reason you're saying: he has NFL coaching experience, just don't act like Spurrier didn't have NFL playing experience.

It's you, how in the hell can you compare Spurrier to Zorn?

Spurrier never served as an assistant in any capacity in the NFL, no experience with the pro game. Spurrier was a lousy communicator and too damn passive. He didn't know how to X and O protection for his QB.

Zorn is a disciple of a proven offensive stratergy that has worked starting with the likes of Don Corryell (sp), and his tree of students that includes Gibbs and Homgrem and Bill Walsh.

Don't try to start a thread on this subject because obviously you don't have a clue why the Skins selected the players they did and had to.

Move on!

Wow... having a bad day at work? Did someone do something in your Cheerios? It's Ok... people do have opinions. Just because I asked a question I am being told to MOVE ON? Believe me I do not want anything to do with a Spurrier type season again, that was painful enough.

I can see us not doing well this season with a new coach and all. All though that didnt seem to hurt the Brokebacks last year. It will not be because of the offensive philosophy though. The WC offense is proven and responsible for numerous Super Bowl wins. We may have to be patient but I love the direction the Skins are going in. They have been patient in free agency and after their Ocho Stinko hicccup appeared to enjoy building through the draft yesterday.

I can see us not doing well this season with a new coach and all. All though that didnt seem to hurt the Brokebacks last year. It will not be because of the offensive philosophy though. The WC offense is proven and responsible for numerous Super Bowl wins. We may have to be patient but I love the direction the Skins are going in. They have been patient in free agency and after their Ocho Stinko hicccup appeared to enjoy building through the draft yesterday.

O.K. as much as I'm not a huge fan of the west coast, it's still, as has been mentioned, a proven system. In the west coast offense, the job is to take 3 and 4 step drops and unload the ball long before the defense has a chance to get to you. The receivers are to get YAC from short to mid range passes. This is the idea of the west coast system.

Spurrier's fun and gun is an off shoot of the run and shoot without staying in the shot gun and the air coryelle. Imagine Coach Gibbs system in the 80's if he didn't go with max protect. There would be 5-7 step drops, giving the defense plenty of time to get in the face of the QB. The question of, would Spurrier's system have worked in the NFL, not with Spurrier as the head coach. He didn't believe in keeping the pressure off the QB with a running game, and really did believe in the short and medium routes needed to keep blitzes honest.

I doubt this happens, Isn't Joe Bugel leaps and bounds over Kim Helton? We need more aggresive players on offense now we have them! Now perhaps we can start to put up 24 - 28 points a game! About damn time if you ask me. Gibbs was a great coach but was WAY PAST his prime. It's time to let the young guns get aggresive and play ball!

So many times we heard other teams new our plays! Well DUH all you had to do was look back at Gibbs 1.0. Now defenses will have to play us honest because they won't know what we will be doing or how we will be doing it. With two WR's hovering 6'3, Cooley now Davis and add Portis out the backfield. I smell something alright and it surely isn't Spurrier, it's the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles getting burned!!!!!

CAN YOU SMMMMEEEELLLLL WHAT THE ZORN IS COOOOKING???

HTTR!!!!!!!!!

Is it just me or am I smelling a Spurrier like season? All offensive weapons going out to catch a pass and the opposition playing Rock'em Sock'em Robots with our QB's. Notice I did say QB's...

you don't think a former NFL Quarterback is going to protect his quarterback...come on now

No. It won't be like that.

Spurrier mainly failed for 2 reasons.

1. Lack of talent... he insisted on having all his Gator players here, who just weren't NFL players.

2. and most importantly, Spurrier just didn't devote himself to the job.

There is a reason why winning a Super Bowl is such a big deal. Particularly for a head coach.

It is b/c of all the time, work, and stress that goes into the job. We all know of Gibbs legendary work marathons. :)

Holgrem, who Zorn coached with, is much the same way. We've already heard of the long days Zorn has put in on the job in draft meetings.

Spurrier, OTOH, treated the NFL head coaching job like it was an 8-4 Monday-Friday job. :doh:

We already know of players sleeping in meetings, phones going off in meetings, not knowing any of his defensive players names... practicing golf swings on the practice fied when players other than his QBs and WRs were working out.

You can't run an NFL team that way and be successful... let alone think the players are going to respect or listen to you.

I don't expect ANY of that from Zorn... a disciple of Holgrems'.

Even if Zorn fails, it won't be Spurrier part duex. :)

I don't think we're in for that kind of season at all. Did you see Jim Zorn go out and sign a roster full of ex-Seahawks players? Did he bring in two no-name QBs just because he used to coach them? The answer is no. As a matter of fact, pretty much everything was in place when he got here (aside from Stump.) Let's give this guy a chance before we start making Spurrier comparisons.

Well, when I hear people saying that some formations have 2 TE's going out in pass routes leaving uhhhh... no one other than 5 linemen... wow... scary not depressing.

Spurrier didn't believe in the running game. This offense will run the ball alot and just because you have a 2 TE set doesn't mean the QB won't be protected those will be the times hvaing Portis will be so valuable, he'll be left back to pick up blitzers. Plus Spurrier had the QB's doing 5 and 7 step drops, I gurantee Zorn won't have Jason holding the ball that long in those situations. This offense will in no way shape or form look like Spurrier's ridiculous offense.

Archived