Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Smell a Spurrier Like Season?

Zarg

I'm under no delusions that we're going to be competitive this season. Blache may be a solid defensive coordinator, but Gregg Williams gave us an edge week and week out. I think our defenses age will start to show and our offense will struggle early on.

I fully expect us to be lottery bound.

Good... We can stockpile draft picks and load up on defensive line help next year in a pretty loaded class in that regard...

There isn't a comparison between the two. I believe this is a great way to give defending teams different looks. Our O-line is healthy and our QB will be given "THE" leading role on offense. What is there not to like about finally picking up talent through the draft.

The Redskins may have an average season as they assimilate the new offense but it won't be Spurrier like. This team has too much talent. I find the whole idea so laughable that it feels like you're baiting the posters on this board.

How can you compare Spurrier and Zorn other than the desire they had to ignite the offense.

Spurrier was not a hands on coach like Zorn intends

Zorn being a former QB intends to protect his Quarter Back unlike what Spurrier did to Ramsey

What? WHAT? Steve Spurrier. Sure you got the right guy?

* All Spurrier did was coach the offense. Zorn sounds like he'll be doing the same thing. He didn't even pick the D-coord!

* Zorn is the QB coach now; Spurrier was QB coach then.

* Who is calling the offensive plays? Was Spurrier (for most of his tenure). Now it's Zorn.

* Either guy have any real NFL credentials?

*** Both played for some loser expansion teams. One knew had to run, the other to throw.

*** One was a legendary college coach, the other... Wow, a QB coach that didn't impede Hasselbeck's abilities. That's credentials?

Though the run & gun, **** & fire, pitch & catch comparison doesn't work, the thread title is still on the money and a little scary. These are two offensive minds overly concerned with helping quarterbacks who interview well but didn't even have NFL playbooks when they started. The comparison is money. We just have to hope the future plays out differently for the maroon and black.

Didn't they still use pigs when Spurrier played. Honestly, I thought people would catch the inference regarding the length of time between when they did their Pro gig(s) and when they coached here.

Sorry.

Zorn and Spurrier both played in the 1976 NFL season, so it's not like they played in entirely different eras.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "inference regarding the length of time between when they did their Pro gig(s) and when they coached here" has to do with anything, but here is that length of time for each:

Spurrier began coaching in 1977, which gave him 25 years of coaching experience when he arrived with the Skins in 1992.

Zorn began coachingin 1988, which gives him 20 years of coaching experience.

I must obviously be missing how these lengths of time demonstrates your point.

Finally, as to not confuse anyone, let me repeat my points:

1. I'm not attempting to compare Zorn and Spurrier. I'm just disputing the claims that Spurrier had no NFL skills position experience, considering he had 10 years worth.
  2. Now, I'm disputing the insinuation that his NFL experience is inconsequential because he played for the 1976 "JV" Bucs and because he played when they played with "real pig" skins.

I'm under no delusions that we're going to be competitive this season. Blache may be a solid defensive coordinator, but Gregg Williams gave us an edge week and week out. I think our defenses age will start to show and our offense will struggle early on.

I fully expect us to be lottery bound.

I have a more :whoknows: type of metality at this point. Even Wade Phillips took over a 9-7 team with a previous HOF coach and won a division title. Granted, he did have HC experience before, but he's Wade Phillips for God's sake.

After reading more of the posts I am feeling better about what is ahead because SOME of you explained yourselves!

1) Yeah, that WR lineup was ... shall we say less than stellar.

2) Wer-awful, Matthews, and Ramsey.... (Spurrier ruined Ramsey's career.)

3) He did love him some Gator...

But the only reason why I mentioned this is for a similar reason. Everyone was expecting DL help. And we loaded up on the Offensive side (which would please any offensive minded coach) Then we draft a DL after a PUNTER!

Yeah, the one fundamental difference...

Zorn has coached in the NFL... :doh:

You're inane [sic]. 25 years of college versus 20 years of QB, um, specialization? We've all seen the list of people who went from position coaches to head coaches, but a few college coaches have made the jump successfully too. What's new here? Why does QB coaching experience mean the Skins don't have another, poor man's Spurrier?

There's nothing in Zorn's resume to make me 100% confident he's going to be any more successful than Spurrier, and there's lots of similarities that make this discussion interesting... at least if folk will post more than your less than $0.02 above. If you think his QB coach experience means he's guaranteed to be better than Spurrier, say so and say by how much. Put some money where you mouth is, or your posts are just noise.

Here, if it'll make you any happier, neither have been an NFL OC longer than a few weeks before becoming HC. That does smell Spurrier like, at least on its face. Enjoy your maroon and black, heysoouce.

You're inane [sic]. 25 years of college versus 20 years of QB, um, specialization? We've all seen the list of people who went from position coaches to head coaches, but a few college coaches have made the jump successfully too. What's new here? Why does QB coaching experience mean the Skins don't have another, poor man's Spurrier?

There's nothing in Zorn's resume to make me 100% confident he's going to be any more successful than Spurrier, and there's lots of similarities that make this discussion interesting... at least if folk will post more than your less than $0.02 above. If you think his QB coach experience means he's guaranteed to be better than Spurrier, say so and say by how much. Put some money where you mouth is, or your posts are just noise.

Here, if it'll make you any happier, neither have been an NFL OC longer than a few weeks before becoming HC. That does smell Spurrier like, at least on its face. Enjoy your maroon and black, heysoouce.

I don't see the difference as NFL experience vs. College experience but offensive scheme.

Spurrier attempted to run a college offense in the NFL. He did so with poor skills players and terrible quarterbacking. He constantly sent recievers deep with the QB taking 7 step drops with only 5 men blocking, which obviously led to disaster.

The WCO may be a little more pass happy than we are use to be they are not deep passing plays. The WCO will use short quick routes to substitute for running plays, rather than just throwing deep 3 downs in a row.

We also have a much better line and RB than Spurrier ever had.

Another issue was Spurrier brought his guys in. We have a lot of Gibbs staff still on board helping Zorn transition. Spurrier had a bunch of college guys that couldn't take control of a locker room. On this team I don't see our locker room being a problem.

Wow... Did someone do something in your Cheerios? It's Ok... people do have opinions. Just because I asked a question I am being told to MOVE ON? Believe me I do not want anything to do with a Spurrier type season again, that was painful enough.

The premise of this thread is obviously to supplant doubt of Zorn's ability to lead. Have you read all of the responses to your topic? It seems to me that you want to be the first to cast doubts of our drafting of multiple receivers.

There is no comparsion whatsoever between Zorn and Spurrier - and the season hasn't started yet!

Archived